The only scientifically validated HRV app that doesn't require an external sensor. HRV4Training helps you optimize your goals and prevent overtraining by measuring your Heart Rate Variability and providing tailored feedback on your physical condition. HRV4Training does not require a heart rate monitor, since it can accurately assess your HRV using the phone's camera.
HRV4Training also works with Apple Watch, the Oura ring and all compatible Bluetooth SMART sensors.
HRV4Training is also the first app that goes beyond simple measurements and provides insights on:
1) acute or day to day HRV changes in response to different stressors (alcohol, travel, sick days, training, menstruation, etc.)
2) long term multi-parameter trends to look at the big picture
3) correlations between physiological measurements and annotations
4) training load analysis, fitness, fatigue, readiness to perform and injury risk
5) VO2max estimation for runners linking the app to Strava or TrainingPeaks and using a heart rate monitor during their workouts
6) Training Polarization analysis (or 80/20)
7) Lactate Threshold Estimation for runners linking the app to Strava or TrainingPeaks and using a heart rate monitor during their workouts
8) Weekly and monthly summaries to track progress.
All data is processed inside the app in order to provide you with actionable interpretations that can help optimizing your training plan and performance.
Supported devices for the camera measurement: iPhones 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 6+, 6S+, SE, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X, XS, XS Max, XR
Currently unsupported devices for the camera measurement: iPhones 4S, iPads and iPods - These devices require a chest strap.
- HRV-based advice helps you to adapt your trainings based on objective measures of recovery
- TAGS: lets you tag your sleep, mental energy, muscle fatigue, stress and all other parameters that can help you understand what is influencing your physical condition and physiological stress
- Works with Bluetooth SMART heart rate monitors (a Polar H7 is recommended) or simply your phone's Camera
- Integrates with the Health app (writes heart rate, and sleep, read sleep time)
- Configurable test (single or orthostatic, choose test duration between 1, 3 or 5 minutes)
- Extracts and stores the following features while lying down and/or standing: heart rate, mean of beat-to-beat intervals (AVNN), standard deviation of beat-to-beat intervals (SDNN), square root of the mean squared difference of successive R-Rs (rMSSD), number of pairs of successive R-Rs that differ by more than 50 ms (pNN50), low frequency power (LF, 0.04-0.15 Hz), high frequency power (HF, 0.15-0.40 Hz)
- Shows the PPG signal view to ensure signal quality during the test if the camera is used instead of a bluetooth SMART sensor
- HRV4T Recovery Points to provide a single, straightforward metric to analyze your physical condition
- Population summaries and people like you comparisons to put your data into perspective
- Analysis of compliance and consistency
- Data export via email or Dropbox
- Integrates with TrainingPeaks, SportTracks, Genetrainer and Strava
More details on HRV and app usage are available here:
More details on HRV using the phone's camera are available here:
HRV4Training requires to register an account with your email address, so that your data can be backed up safely and retrieved in case anything happens (app issue, changing phone, etc.).
* Integration with the Oura ring, learn more here: https://www.hrv4training.com/blog/oura-ring-integration-read-sleep-data-whole-night-heart-rate-and-hrv-in-hrv4training
* Improved UI in the History page, if you re-read a workout it will update the icons right away
* Other minor fixes and improvements
If you like the updates, please take a few minutes to the review the app. It makes a difference. Thanks!
For any issues, contact: hello@HRV4Training.com
p.s. let us know if you'd like to experiment more. Happy to send you Camera HRV for free.
Marco & Ale
Ratings and Reviews
Thriving app, great features and experience
I’ve been using the app to track my HRV daily for many months now. I use it in many ways and it’s provided some fascinating insight. For instance when I’ve tried a change in diet I’ve been able to see very clear and rapid feedback in the HRV baseline view that it’s doing me some good. When I ran an ultra marathon that took me 22 hours, I could see my recovery progress over the next few weeks in the chart.
I love the dedicated team behind the app. It’s wonderful to see the lengths they go to to establish technical validity of the method. They’ve replied to my messages several times. The blog posts are always fascinating and helpful. I’m also impressed by the company they keep, they’ve been mentioned recently by for instance the guys at Nourish Balance Thrive and also Alex Ferretti.
I’m confident I’ll be a happy customer for as long as they keep this going.
A must for anyone serious about fitness
I don’t usually write reviews, however, I felt obliged to leave a very positive review as this app is that good.
I’ve only been using this app for a good month now and wish I got it years ago. I gym around 4 times a week and now having the insight into my recovery status has greatly helped me plan my workouts better and match my recovery status with the intensity of exercises I choose to so. I already see improvements in my performance from being able to choose my workout days better.
In addition, this app is very very well made with continuous support by the developers, which also run a website that is regularly updated with new articles and research. I don’t think I’ve got any other app on my iPhone that is backed by more science than this one.
I thought the price was a bit steep at first, but given the support and attention it receives from Marco and Alessandra I think they might be undercharging for it...
Can I give this 10 stars?
Superb, informative App with excellent support.
Running between 45 and 80 miles per week, accurate HRV data provides valuable insight into levels of fatigue and optimal training conditions.
Looking forward to accessing further insights as data accumulates, such as chronic/acute training load, VO2 Max estimations, polarization and lactate threshold [to name a few].
Definitely useful for the non athlete too, or in times of rest/off-season [Stress comes in many forms]
Excellent, and prompt support from the founder…. on a Sunday! A refreshing change to find someone passionate and committed to their business.
Developer Response ,
hi there! Thank you for your support and review, really appreciate it, it seems however that you gave us 1 star, instead of 5! - if you can update the rating, it would be much appreciated. Thank you again for your support and time!
- A.S.M.A. B.V.
- 28.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Marco Altini 2013
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.