The first scientifically validated Heart Rate Variability (HRV) app. HRV4Training provides HRV based insights to help you quantify stress,
better balance training and lifestyle, and improve performance. HRV4Training does not require a heart rate monitor, since it can accurately assess your HRV using the phone's camera.
HRV4Training also works with Apple Watch, the Oura ring and all compatible Bluetooth SMART sensors.
HRV4Training is also the first app that goes beyond simple measurements and provides insights on:
1) acute or day to day HRV changes in response to different stressors (alcohol, travel, sick days, training, menstruation, etc.)
2) long term multi-parameter trends to look at the big picture
3) correlations between physiological measurements and annotations
4) training load analysis, fitness, fatigue, readiness to perform and injury risk
5) VO2max estimation for runners linking the app to Strava or TrainingPeaks and using a heart rate monitor during their workouts
6) Training Polarization analysis (or 80/20)
7) Lactate Threshold Estimation for runners linking the app to Strava or TrainingPeaks and using a heart rate monitor during their workouts
8) Weekly and monthly summaries to track progress.
All data is processed inside the app in order to provide you with actionable interpretations that can help optimizing your training plan and performance.
Supported devices for the camera measurement: iPhones 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 6+, 6S+, SE, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X, XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max
Currently unsupported devices for the camera measurement: iPhones 4S, iPads and iPods - These devices require a chest strap.
- HRV-based advice helps you to adapt your trainings based on objective measures of recovery
- TAGS: lets you tag your sleep, mental energy, muscle fatigue, stress and all other parameters that can help you understand what is influencing your physical condition and physiological stress
- Works with Bluetooth SMART heart rate monitors (a Polar H7 is recommended) or simply your phone's Camera
- Integrates with the Health app (writes heart rate, and sleep, read sleep time)
- Configurable test (single or orthostatic, choose test duration between 1, 3 or 5 minutes)
- Extracts and stores the following features while lying down and/or standing: heart rate, mean of beat-to-beat intervals (AVNN), standard deviation of beat-to-beat intervals (SDNN), square root of the mean squared difference of successive R-Rs (rMSSD), number of pairs of successive R-Rs that differ by more than 50 ms (pNN50), low frequency power (LF, 0.04-0.15 Hz), high frequency power (HF, 0.15-0.40 Hz)
- Shows the PPG signal view to ensure signal quality during the test if the camera is used instead of a bluetooth SMART sensor
- HRV4T Recovery Points to provide a single, straightforward metric to analyze your physical condition
- Population summaries and people like you comparisons to put your data into perspective
- Analysis of compliance and consistency
- Data export via email or Dropbox
- Integrates with TrainingPeaks, SportTracks, Genetrainer and Strava
HRV4Training requires to register an account with your email address, so that your data can be backed up safely and retrieved in case anything happens (app issue, changing phone, etc.).
* Added support for Strava e-rides
* Improved usability of the "save measurement" button
If you like the updates, please take a few minutes to the review the app. It makes a difference. Thanks!
For any issues, or quick questions contact: hello@HRV4Training.com or use @altini_marco on Twitter
p.s. let us know if you'd like to experiment more. Happy to send you Camera HRV for free.
Marco & Ale
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Thriving app, great features and experience
I’ve been using the app to track my HRV daily for many months now. I use it in many ways and it’s provided some fascinating insight. For instance when I’ve tried a change in diet I’ve been able to see very clear and rapid feedback in the HRV baseline view that it’s doing me some good. When I ran an ultra marathon that took me 22 hours, I could see my recovery progress over the next few weeks in the chart.
I love the dedicated team behind the app. It’s wonderful to see the lengths they go to to establish technical validity of the method. They’ve replied to my messages several times. The blog posts are always fascinating and helpful. I’m also impressed by the company they keep, they’ve been mentioned recently by for instance the guys at Nourish Balance Thrive and also Alex Ferretti.
I’m confident I’ll be a happy customer for as long as they keep this going.
Have been using the app for over a year on an iPhone X. Early versions of the app were much better at getting a reading. Something seems to have been changed in the latest version as it’s now really difficult to get a reading. It continually pauses and restarts when measuring and the heart rate that’s displayed is way off. I had the same issue a couple of months ago and the only way to resolve it was to remove and reinstall the app. That makes me think that it’s an issue with the app data that’s stored on the phone. And yes I do know how to properly cover the camera with my finger when measuring.
Review updated June 2020: seems much more stable now. No problems for the last few months :)
Developer Response ,
hi there. Thank you for your message and sorry to hear about the trouble. Would you mind reaching out to us at hello@HRV4Training.com - most likely we can help you out - or if something went wrong with the update, you could try reinstalling as you did in the past. Thank you for your patience, and take care. Marco
A must for anyone serious about fitness
I don’t usually write reviews, however, I felt obliged to leave a very positive review as this app is that good.
I’ve only been using this app for a good month now and wish I got it years ago. I gym around 4 times a week and now having the insight into my recovery status has greatly helped me plan my workouts better and match my recovery status with the intensity of exercises I choose to so. I already see improvements in my performance from being able to choose my workout days better.
In addition, this app is very very well made with continuous support by the developers, which also run a website that is regularly updated with new articles and research. I don’t think I’ve got any other app on my iPhone that is backed by more science than this one.
I thought the price was a bit steep at first, but given the support and attention it receives from Marco and Alessandra I think they might be undercharging for it...
Can I give this 10 stars?
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Sensitive Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- A.S.M.A. B.V.
- 24.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
English, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Marco Altini 2013
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.