As a parent, do you sometimes ask yourself questions like...
Does my child spend too much time playing games?
What sorts of games does my child play?
Can I restrict games according to my child's age?
If so, this might be just the app for you!
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls™ is a free app that allows you to easily monitor your child's use of the Nintendo Switch console.
(Please note: A Nintendo Switch console with the latest available system version is required to use this app.)
With Nintendo Switch Parental Controls, you can:
1. Monitor your child's play time on the console.
Set a daily play time limit, which notifies your child on the console when time's up for the day. You can also check this app to see how long they've been playing. If necessary, you can also use the "Suspend Software" feature to make the console go into sleep mode when the set time is reached.
2. Find out what games your child plays.
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls provides convenient reports that show you what video games have been played on the console recently and how much time was spent playing each day.
View daily reports and monthly summaries of play activity. If you choose to receive push notifications, you'll be notified when a new monthly summary is available.
This will help you learn what games your child enjoys most.
3. Set restrictions to ensure your child can play safely, no matter their age.
Easily restrict features of the Nintendo Switch console as appropriate for your child. This includes restricting games above specific age ratings.
● In order to use the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, a parent or guardian (aged 18 or above) needs to have a Nintendo Account.
● You can set purchasing restrictions, including restrictions on purchasing products and services in Nintendo eShop, in the Nintendo Account settings.
● In order to make use of all of the features and settings available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, all linked Nintendo Switch consoles need to be using the latest system version.
Added compatibility with iOS 15.
Other small improvements have also been made.
Ratings and Reviews
5star review - deffo worth the download
I would deffo recommend this app, it does what it says it does. It reminds my child on his screen (top corner so doesn’t disturb game play too much) makes a little bell noise so that they look at it and realise that it’ll soon be the end of game play. The reminders are good as let’s my son know it’ll be over soon and won’t be too upset by the game turning off. 5stars in my opinion as u can set what ever time you wish for your child to play for. Lots more options too! Happy parent :)
Useful, but flawed
This has the makings of a slick application, but it is woefully inconsiderate of simple, practical considerations.
- Usage and time of day restrictions apply to the whole Switch. If you've got more than one child using it and one of them burns through the usage credit, well tough luck for the other one.
- No matter how many parent/guardians you have in a family group, only one of them can actually link a Switch. The rest might as well not bother using the app as it doesn't function at all without linking - you simply cannot get past the linking step to do anything, even if you're registered under an account that IS linked.
- There is no facility to suspend operation on demand. Child refusing to come to the table for food? Nothing you can do except to physically take it from them if they're within the usage/time of day parameters. The app pushes new settings to it instantly so no reason it can't suspend on demand.
- Child been really good today? You can't give them extra time unless you change the usage/time of day rules persistently, "disable alarms for today" in the app or "temporarily disable parental controls" on the Switch, which lasts for as long as it doesn't go to sleep (no "you can have an extra 30 mins" etc)
This stuff is pretty fundamental, but curiously absent.
This app has been a game changer in managing screen time and the ability to restrict timings individually each day is great but I do have a couple of suggestions. The first would be to add a start time as I don’t want the kids playing until 8am but the default is 6am. This would allow us to change the schedule each day more specifically. Secondly it would be helpful if when I disable alarms for the day I can turn them back on and when there seems to be a connection issue turning on the alarm there should be a background refresh from the cloud so it can be turned on when connection resumes
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- 98.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.