The HSE app now includes exclusive videos, tools and content.
The HSE small business app has been designed to help people better understand the law, their health and safety rights, and their responsibilities.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. We are dedicated to protecting people and places and helping everyone lead safer and healthier lives. Ensuring that guidance is available and accessible in a variety of formats is central to achieving this objective.
Created in partnership with the Stationery Office (TSO), the app is primarily for small businesses or those who are new to health and safety to help them better understand the law and what is required to protect employees.
What does the app include?
1. Practical risk management tools
This section is a dedicated for users to access the various HSE digital tools, such as the musculoskeletal (MAC, ART, and RAPP) and stress risk assessments.
2. Risk management videos
This section includes exclusive practical videos delivered by an HSE inspector that guide you through the risk management process.
3. Introduction to managing health and safety
This section includes:
• finding the right guidance for your business
• basic advice for small businesses
• making arrangements to manage health and safety
• your workers and workplace
• how to manage health and safety (plan, do, check, act)
• the law (links to regulations, legal duties of workers, criminal and civil law)
• useful resources.
4. Managing risks and risk assessment
This section provides a simple step-by-step guide and practical advice on how to manage risk within an organisation. It includes:
• Steps needed to manage risk
• Risk assessment template and examples
• Common workplace risks
• More detail on managing risk.
5. Investigating workplace accidents and incidents
This section includes:
• what does the law say you should do?
• why investigate?
• the benefits
• who should carry out the investigation
• when should the investigation start?
• what does the investigation involve?
• steps to take after an accident or incident
• reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences
• should I investigate?
• what makes an investigation successful?
• investigation forms
• further reading.
6. Work-related stress
This section includes a condensed version of HSE’s stress management standards approach. Designed for smaller organisations, it comprises a step by step guide to manage work-related stress for:
• Small organisations (up to 50 employees)
• Medium-size organisations (51-250 employees)
• Medium-size organisations, with multiple sites
In addition, there is also a link to the Working Minds campaign that provides a range of tools and support to help small businesses find the best ways to prevent work related stress and promote good mental health.
7. Publication list
Includes a full publications and reference list for:
• Legal series (L)
• Approved codes of practice (ACOP)
• Health and safety guidance (HSG)
• Health and safety regulations (HSR)
The app also includes:
• An intuitive search function – so users can find the guidance and content more quickly
• Key products section – easily browse and purchase the Health and Safety Law Poster, Accident Book or Managing for Health and Safety publication (HSG65)
• Automatic live updates – so users have the latest guidance and content sent automatically to their device.
Now includes a dedicated section on investigating workplace accidents and incidents. Understand what the law says and the process for carrying out a thorough investigation.
Ratings and Reviews
Very basic information
The app is just a basic summary of text and not as good as the HSE website. Information is there but in brief form. Disappointed in the quality so hope they upgrade it.
Developer Response ,
Hi Keith, thank you for your comment.
The primary reason for the creation of a mobile app, was that HSE recently conducted some market research for SMEs and discovered that most wanted a quick reference guide on their mobile or tablet device. Therefore, it was agreed that the best way to achieve this demand would be to convert the current guidance into a mobile app platform and charge a small price point for the convenience.
We appreciate you could get the same content from the HSE website and it is entirely your decision to do so. However, the app allows you to quickly search a topic or query and provides the guidance required for most small to medium sized businesses. There is also a live updates feature, so you don’t have to continually refer to the HSE website if there has been an update in the guidance, as the app will automatically notify and update for you.
Finally, we are still in beta phase, so if you do have any suggestions about what you would like to see included in the app, please do get in touch – email@example.com
A Real Game Changer!
Smart simple to use, available 24/7 fits into your top pocket fast information when you need it. Well done HSE great start and would welcome to see this advance into HSG65 Management System and RAMS support for all industries.
Waste of money it doesn’t work for me
Bought this APP however it doesn’t seem to want t work at all.
All I get is a page saying get started and nothing after that page. Not even worth a one star rating.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Stationery Office Limited
- 133.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Crown copyright