We are creating an ambitious national network of walking routes connecting all of Great Britain’s towns and cities, and we need your help!
Slow Ways routes will be the best, most direct way to walk or wheel between any two neighbouring settlements, along existing paths, ways, trails and roads.
The network is designed to make it easier for people to plan and go on walking journeys.
There are currently over 8,000 Slow Ways stretching for over 120,000km. This network of routes was created by volunteers all over the country. Now, these handmade, crowd-sourced routes need to be checked. And that’s where you come in!
Use the Slow Ways app to discover suggested walking routes near you. Choose a route, walk it, and when you’re finished, leave a review to guide others and to help us establish a trusted network of routes.
“The idea is to get people walking between locations they might otherwise drive or take public transport to” The Guardian
“Slow Ways is not just a tool to encourage us to walk more, it is a campaigning tool. Once a route is identified, there is something to defend and to improve” BBC News
“Walkers, your country needs you” National Geographic
- The Slow Ways app is free to use.
- Browse the entire network of over 7000 routes including key information such as distance, ascent, descent and whether a route has been rated and reviewed.
- See details of each settlement including the routes to and from it
- Read reviews of routes and browse through any photos that have been uploaded.
- Find routes by just browsing the map or search for specific place or Slow Ways names.
- Sign up and get a free Slow Ways account so that you can leave reviews of routes you have completed, create your own way lists and more
- Choose a route to walk then let the app help you navigate around it in real time, including providing directional guidance, letting you know if you go off track and when you have completed the route.
- Browse walks that you have done and see how long they took and see your actual route overlaid on the map
- Download a map of a route that you can use offline
* Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when you tried to look at your saved way lists
Thanks for the feedback! If you have any problems you can send us an email using the feedback option on the settings tab.
Ratings and Reviews
Nice and free! 💚
Straightforward way of checking out routes and info about them on the Slow Ways network. Love looking at the reviews and photos people have left!
Confusing user interface
I found this to be unintuitive and confusing. You can click on routes and sometimes details come up, sometimes not. It’s also not clear which routes have not been reviewed at all, which would be good to know if you want to help review them. Great project and hope you can iron out these difficulties so as many people as possible can get involved.
Developer Response ,
Hi Flashgorton, thanks for the feedback, we think it’s a great project too!
When you tap on a route the stars and the snail are greyed out and it says “not rated yet” if the route hasn’t been reviewed. Also, you can tap on the layers button on the map and choose to see the straight line Slow Ways routes between settlements.
When you tap on one of these straight lines it will list all the routes available between those two settlements, and if not yet reviewed, there are no stars shown.
On the details not coming up - we’ll keep an eye on that - sometimes there can be a delay getting information back from the servers. On a slow connection this might be a couple of seconds, but we’ll take a look. If you have more problems, drop us an email at email@example.com
I haven’t walked a route yet but just enjoying looking at the map and reviews of the ones near me. Reading the stories is fun as well.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Slow Ways CIC
- 143.9 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Copyright 2023 Slow Ways CIC