AnkiMobile Flashcards 4+
Smart & powerful flashcards
Ankitects Pty Ltd
AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile was written by the lead developer of Anki and AnkiWeb, and it has been around since 2010. Beware other apps using "Anki" in their name that have sprung up recently - they are not compatible with the rest of the Anki ecosystem, and they offer far fewer features.
Some of AnkiMobile's features include:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations with MathJax, and rendering LaTeX created with the computer version.
- Support for adding images drawn with the Apple Pencil to your cards.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display and schedule your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. Add-ons are not supported, so while you can study image occlusion cards created with the computer version, they can not be created within AnkiMobile. For this reason, please start with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
The cloud synchronization service is optional, and data can also be imported/exported from the app via a USB cable or AirDrop.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported (apart from in India). For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see Apple's Volume Purchase Program.
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: https://docs.ankimobile.net/support.html. If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Fix custom scheduling in the v3 scheduler.
- Latest improvements from computer 2.1.61 release.
- Fixed text style sometimes changing when making changes in the editor.
- Fixed redo action not working.
- Fixed spacebar causing page to scroll when showing answer/answering cards.
- Fixed a potential issue when calculating review counts in the V2 scheduler.
- Fixed shortcuts triggering multiple times when key held down.
- Fixed list alignment in RTL contexts.
- Allow sync URL scheme to function when params provided.
Ratings and Reviews
Original creator; A little buggy on iOS
Glad to see the iOS version of this original desktop program be so similar in features available to the user. The price looks daunting, but it’s worth the same as 2 months of a Quizlet Plus membership and has quadruple the features. No ads, no monthly payment, and a free desktop/web version with account syncing. Due to the nature of having such a small development team, this app does present with a lot more bugs than someone might be used to. Unfortunately the first deck I created was deleted to some error while synchronizing. Luckily it was only about 25 cards. The app does provide a Backup feature, but unfortunately there was no automatic backup created after finishing my deck.
I’m glad to see that the app receives regular updates, and is still getting love from it’s original creator. I would love to see an easier way to report bugs through the app, without having to create an account on some random forum online. The app can be buggy, but it redeems itself with features that are better than Quizlet or any other program I have used in the past, and it definitely beats writing by hand. Looking forward to using this app for my future schooling.
The original and the best
The original active recall testing via spaced repetition app. Copied but never duplicated. Originally for PCs only, and always completely free, the developer made this version for iOS for which I will gladly pay to support his efforts. Stay away from the ripoff artists who use the anki name to try to get your money. I like the interface, it’s a “get down to business” interface, with a learning curve. In my experience, those are many times the most useful software. Some other guy left a star off because the icon looked dated and it doesn’t fit with his other icons. I mean, freakin really?!?! Too many developers spend too much time on a slick interface and end up with sloppy functionality.
This software works if you use it. Yes, you will need to read the manual. You may need to learn some Latex. It’s not hard, once you get going. I’m fairly proficient with this software and try to use it daily. As a result, I can give you a 50 word definition of a Poisson Distribution off the top of my head. I never forget birthdays or anniversaries. Plus the looks when you can spout off dictionary definitions of random words (the other day at work I gave definitions of heuristic and algorithm). He looks are priceless.
Support the original who for years did this for free. This is the flash card app for you.
Poor reliability but otherwise great!
This app is really well done and nicely written. I don't understand why or how Apple promotes the knockoff apps over this one. Truly an injustice to this app. This is the original Anki creator himself after all! Totally a fantastic app and I actually preferring studying on mobile than on desktop. That is how much better the mobile app is over even desktop anki. The only reason I knocked off two stars is because during the period right before the single biggest and most important exam I could take in my life, the creator pushed an update that was poorly tested and all my flash cards became completely useless until he was able to patch the bug. The fact that I could not use my main study tool prior to such an important exam left me with a little bit of a resentment that such an error was allowed to go out! I can understand minor bugs or some functionality lost, but when the entire app becomes unusable for weeks right when I need it most, that just makes me lose trust in the reliability of the app. I do not understand why the app was not just rolled back if the bug was that big? Really unfortunate. But then again I guess this is a single guy writing this app so it is a common problem with many other indie apps where one man can only support so much. So just be warned that reliability may be a bit problematic.
Developer Response ,
Most updates are tested by both me and a group of beta testers, but unfortunately it's not always possible to catch problems that occur for only specific card templates/configurations. Did you reach out about the issue you were having? If it was a showstopper issue, there's a good chance I could have provided you with a beta version to tide you over until an update came out.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ankitects Pty Ltd
- 42.4 MB
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.5 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.5 or later.
- Game Controller
English, Arabic, Belarusian, Catalan, Czech, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malayalam, Oriya, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Ankitects Pty Ltd
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.