AnkiMobile is a mobile companion to Anki, a powerful, intelligent flashcard program that is free, multi-platform, and open-source. Sales of this app support the development of both the computer and mobile version, which is why the app is priced as a computer application.
AnkiMobile was written by the lead developer of Anki and AnkiWeb, and it has been around since 2010. Beware other apps using "Anki" in their name that have sprung up recently - they are not compatible with the rest of the Anki ecosystem, and they offer far fewer features.
Some of AnkiMobile's features include:
- A free cloud synchronization service that lets you keep your card content synchronized across multiple mobile and computer devices. This makes it easy to add content on a computer and then study it on your mobile, easily keep your study progress current between an iPhone and iPad, and so on.
- The same proven scheduling algorithm that the computer version of Anki uses, which reminds you of material as you're about to forget it.
- A flexible interface designed for smooth and efficient study. You can set up AnkiMobile to perform different actions when you tap or swipe on various parts of the screen, and control which actions appear on the tool buttons.
- Comprehensive graphs and statistics about your studies.
- Support for large card decks - even 100,000+ cards.
- If your cards use images or audio clips, the media is stored on your device, so you can study without an internet connection.
- A powerful search facility that allows you to find cards that match criteria such as 'tagged high priority, answered in the last ten days and not containing the following words', and automatically place them into a deck to study.
- Support for displaying mathematical equations with MathJax, and rendering LaTeX created with the computer version.
- Support for adding images drawn with the Apple Pencil to your cards.
Please note that AnkiMobile is currently intended as a companion to the computer version of Anki, rather than a complete replacement for it. While AnkiMobile is able to display and schedule your cards in the same way the computer version does, certain changes like modifying note types need to be done with the computer software. Add-ons are not supported, so while you can study image occlusion cards created with the computer version, they can not be created within AnkiMobile. For this reason, please start with the computer version of Anki before you think about buying this app.
The cloud synchronization service is optional, and data can also be imported/exported from the app via a USB cable or AirDrop.
Like all apps, AnkiMobile can be purchased once and then used on multiple devices in a household using the same Apple ID. Family sharing is also supported. For information on bulk discounts for educational institutions, please see Apple's Volume Purchase Program.
For more information on AnkiMobile, including a link to the online manual, please have a look at the support page: https://docs.ankimobile.net/support.html. If you have any questions or want to report an issue, please let us know on our support site and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Fixed the future due graph incorrectly including new cards.
- Fixed inability to exclude tags in custom study.
- Fixed an issue with type-in-the-answer on cloze deletions with repeated words.
- Other minor bugfixes.
- You can now swipe across a deck to export it to an .apkg file.
- Added a Finnish translation, thanks largely to ihmematti.
- Fixed share sheet not appearing when exporting.
- Fixed deck list scrolling to top when tapping on a deck.
- Fixed leech notification not showing in v2 scheduler.
- Fixed daily study notification not appearing.
- Fixed flag labels shifted by 1.
- Other bugfixes and stability improvements.
- Fixed card info screen appearing blank.
- Fixed editing area sometimes appearing blank when returning to the app after a delay.
- Fixed spurious error after deleting notes in browse screen.
- Stability improvements.
- AnkiMobile now requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- The V1 Scheduler is no longer supported. If you had not yet upgraded, you'll be prompted to when you tap on a deck.
- Various fixes and improvements to the V3 scheduler to match the 2.1.50 computer release.
- The Browse screen now supports toggling between cards and notes.
- The Browse screen now supports more than two columns at once.
- Added purple and grey to the available colors in the editor.
- The app badge/review notification options now schedule a background task to refresh the counts after the day rolls over, which should improve the accuracy of the counts.
- Support the new backup expiry settings in the desktop 2.1.50 release.
- Support for importing/exporting 2.1.50+ colpkg files.
- Custom study no longer limits the number of cards you can extend the limits by.
- Custom study no longer remembers tags that have been removed.
- Added an 'infoForAdding' URL scheme, so apps can request available decks/notetypes.
- Added 'scroll up' and 'scroll down' actions, which can be assigned to gamepad buttons.
- Added Belarusian, Czech, Hebrew, Italian, Malayalam, Odia and Romanian translations - a big thank you to all translators.
- Fixed V3 custom scheduling not being honored.
- Fixed original image being inserted instead of cropped one.
- Fixed unpredictable scrolling when typing in editor fields on iOS 14/15.
- Fixed filtered deck search field not allowing keyboard switching.
- Fixed preview delay not being shown in filtered deck options.
- Automatically reload study screen when iOS frees resources.
- Show a warning in the review screen when an image is missing, and tweak the media syncing screen to reduce confusion over background syncing.
Ratings and Reviews
Original creator; A little buggy on iOS
Glad to see the iOS version of this original desktop program be so similar in features available to the user. The price looks daunting, but it’s worth the same as 2 months of a Quizlet Plus membership and has quadruple the features. No ads, no monthly payment, and a free desktop/web version with account syncing. Due to the nature of having such a small development team, this app does present with a lot more bugs than someone might be used to. Unfortunately the first deck I created was deleted to some error while synchronizing. Luckily it was only about 25 cards. The app does provide a Backup feature, but unfortunately there was no automatic backup created after finishing my deck.
I’m glad to see that the app receives regular updates, and is still getting love from it’s original creator. I would love to see an easier way to report bugs through the app, without having to create an account on some random forum online. The app can be buggy, but it redeems itself with features that are better than Quizlet or any other program I have used in the past, and it definitely beats writing by hand. Looking forward to using this app for my future schooling.
The original and the best
The original active recall testing via spaced repetition app. Copied but never duplicated. Originally for PCs only, and always completely free, the developer made this version for iOS for which I will gladly pay to support his efforts. Stay away from the ripoff artists who use the anki name to try to get your money. I like the interface, it’s a “get down to business” interface, with a learning curve. In my experience, those are many times the most useful software. Some other guy left a star off because the icon looked dated and it doesn’t fit with his other icons. I mean, freakin really?!?! Too many developers spend too much time on a slick interface and end up with sloppy functionality.
This software works if you use it. Yes, you will need to read the manual. You may need to learn some Latex. It’s not hard, once you get going. I’m fairly proficient with this software and try to use it daily. As a result, I can give you a 50 word definition of a Poisson Distribution off the top of my head. I never forget birthdays or anniversaries. Plus the looks when you can spout off dictionary definitions of random words (the other day at work I gave definitions of heuristic and algorithm). He looks are priceless.
Support the original who for years did this for free. This is the flash card app for you.
TL;DR: Not the best looking Anki app out there, but it works flawlessly and has really helped my efforts to learn a new language.
I had originally purchased a different Anki app. The other app looked a lot better, but within a few days suffered from syncing issues to the point where it became unusable. I am learning Portuguese, and didn’t want that effort to fail, so I bought this app too. It doesn’t look good, I’ll say that right off the bat. It reminds me of working with Windows 95 applications! Hence why I took away one star.
But.....it works! It syncs perfectly. I love the scratchpad. That allows me to write the word on my iPad using the Apple Pencil before I flip the card, which further helps with memory and also makes sure I get the Portuguese accented characters in the right place. Ironically, I also find that it’s much faster to add new cards in this version than the better looking version I originally purchased. I say ironic as I expected the UX of the better looking version to be better all round, which was clearly not the case. Well done to the developer(s). I’m looking forward to a better looking version in the future. A move from 1995 to 2020 would be welcome :)
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ankitects Pty Ltd
- 36.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Game Controller
English, Arabic, Belarusian, Czech, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malayalam, Oriya, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Ankitects Pty Ltd
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.