Astrospheric is the most advanced forecasting service for North American astronomers
Using the amazing astronomy data produced by the Canadian Meteorological Center, NOAA, NCEP, and more, Astrospheric quickly produces a highly accurate 48 hour forecast for any location in the United States or Canada.
• 48 hour, hour-by-hour forecast
• Extended 10 day cloud forecast
• Updated every 12 hours
• Sky data: cloud, sky transparency, seeing, and smoke
• Ground data: wind, temperature, and humidity
• Precise rise and set times for both the sun and moon
• Get weather alerts when conditions meeting your requirements are met
• Cloud, transparency, and seeing map layers for most of North America
• Satellite imagery updated every few minutes
• Aerosol optical depth at 3 wavelengths
• Jet stream data
• Light pollution
• Easily scrub through the 48 hour forecast with each layer
• Worldwide light pollution data
• Community favorites show great spots around North America to setup your telescope and enjoy the stars
• Precise altitude and illumination information
• List of upcoming moon phases with dates
• Easily save favorite locations for easy access
• Favorites roam between your devices and browser (www.astrospheric.com)
• All favorites have pre-generated cloud forecasts for a quick view of the weather
• Information necessary to quickly set up your GOTO tracking mount
• Available even if you don’t have a network connection
The Astrospheric Subscription is now available to enable Weather Alerts
• The Astrospheric subscription is billed monthly and will auto-renew unless turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. The renewal cost will be the same as the initial sign-up cost of the subscription. Any changes in cost will be communicated before renewal takes place.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscriptions may be managed by you and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the your Account Settings after purchase. A link to these settings is made available within Astrospheric "My Profile" for easy access.
► Upgraded sharing links with Universal Links. Now tapping a sharing link will open the app directly.
► Other sharing related bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Must have app
I use this daily and sometimes multiple times a day. It combines several key points of information to make planning when I can observe so easy. I find small windows of viewing opportunity that I otherwise might have missed. It really is a big help and I recommend it as often as I can!
Good big picture app, but don’t like some things about it.
This is a pretty good app that gives you the big picture for planning astronomical viewing, however I do not like one aspect of it. The app opens with a location that is automatically selected near your current location, but it is off enough that you need to change it to your location by using a map or the forecasts might not be accurate. It does not remember your location when you start the app again and you must again manually select the correct location from a map. It then will tell you that you can save the location, but only if you provide them with your email address which is their way of compelling one to do that and enable the “favorites” to be available. I think that we should not have to provide our email address to set the home location and sort of sounds like blackmail to me.
Developer Response ,
"Favorite" locations automatically sync to any device or browser you access Astrospheric from. Using an email seemed simpler than making folks create a user name and password (which would have also required email verification). Also, don't forget to turn on GPS location for higher accuracy, if you don't then the app will fallback to a simple IP lookup which can be less accurate. Anyways, feel free to use a junk email address and make sure to check out the privacy statement for what and how collected data is used. Thanks for the feedback, feel free to reach out using the in-app feedback if you want to discuss possible bugs!
Best of Its Kind
It was the best app of its kind when I first got it. Since then it’s undergone a big overhaul. Now Astrospheric is unbeatable. Nothing even comes close to it. The developer has put a lot of time and effort into function, accuracy, and form. I use it literally every week. So helpful!
- Daniel Fiordalis
- 17.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Daniel Fiordalis
- In-App Purchases
- Astrospheric Subscription $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.