Astrospheric provides advanced weather tools for professional astronomers and astrophotographers in the Continental US and Canada, and supports hundreds of astronomical societies with tools that help members stay connected. Are you using what the pros use?
• 84 hour, hour-by-hour forecast
• CMC astronomy data updated every 6 hours (no other service provides this data)
• Ensemble cloud forecast lets you quickly compare the major forecast models with hourly updates (Astrospheric Pro)
• Extended cloud forecast
• Kp index for Aurora viewing (and alerts with Pro)
• International Space Station (ISS) flyover paths and times
• Astrospheric is the only astronomy service that integrates the smoke forecast into the transparency report
• Sky data: cloud, sky transparency, seeing
• Ground data: wind, temperature, and humidity
• Precise rise and set times for both the sun and moon
• Get weather alerts when conditions meeting your requirements are met (Astrospheric Pro)
• Details Solar and Lunar eclipse data
• Stay connected with chat, image sharing, and event planning with all of your members.
• Qualifying astronomical societies can get Pro features for all of their members
• Information necessary to quickly set up your GOTO tracking mount
• Available even if you don’t have a network connection
Astrospheric Professional is now available to enable Weather Alerts, Ensemble cloud forecast, and more!
• Astrospheric Professional is billed monthly or yearly and will auto-renew unless turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. The renewal cost will be the same as the initial sign-up cost of the subscription. Any changes in cost will be communicated before renewal takes place.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscriptions may be managed by you and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the your Account Settings after purchase. A link to these settings is made available within Astrospheric "My Profile" for easy access.
PLEASE NOTE: Weather data is not available for Hawaii due to the domain area covered by the Canadian Meteorological Center. However, satellite and light pollution map layers, as well as other features will work in Hawaii.
-Improved the TimeWarp feature for the Astronomical Clock. It's now easier to precisely set the time as well as warp quickly into the future or past.
-"My Profile" has moved to the settings menu for easier access.
-Tab interface at the top of Favorites and Subspace has been removed to make more room for these features.
-Large amount of performance and other bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has always been very reliable in planning my imaging sessions here in New England, and the weather can change on a dime out here. This summer it was especially helpful that the smoke map is integrated into their transparency forecast. Then recently, it was added that there would be 3 forecast models being used to determine cloud forecasts. It’s very simple to read. If the cloud box shows one solid color, all 3 models are in agreement. If there’s 3 different colors, there’s some variation in the forecast between models, which you can see by selecting any particular hour of the forecast. Helps very much with having the confidence to drive the 2hrs to my dark site, knowing the sky will remain clear with all 3 models in agreement. They’re always improving as the title suggests. Worth every penny! The icing on top is the astrophotography sub space where we can all share our work and help each other improve. Hands down my favorite app for planning my sessions.
Great weather forecast app for astronomy
Astrospheric is an amazing weather app for astronomy and astrophotography enthusiasts. I have been using it for over three months, and the app tells me everything I need to know about sky and ground conditions (cloud cover, transparency, seeing, wind speed and direction, temperature, dew point, sun and moon rise/set times and elevation, moon phase details, etc). Tapping on any hour will give an estimated cloud cover map. Included are also various map layers like smoke, cloud, transparency, seeing, temperature, dew point, wind, etc as well as actual satellite imagery (IR, visible, water vapor, GOES-16). I also like the light pollution map that tells me how dark a location will be when I travel. Daniel Fiordalis, creator of the app, is an amateur astronomer and professional programmer, and you can appreciate all the love that went into creating this app. Thank You!!!
Three forecast models combined!
I love this app! It is my go-to for checking the astronomy forecast.
The free version provides a highly detailed forecast based on the Canadian weather model.
The forecast is updated every 6 hours. The detailed forecast covers roughly the next three days. (The extended forecast goes out much farther but with fewer details and that is understandable because it is much more difficult to predict.)
The 'Pro' tier (in-app purchase) combines two additional models to produce an "ensemble" forecast based on Canadian, North American, and European models (color coded so you know which model is forecasting clouds). I can't count the times I'd check a forecast, get the all-clear, and show up to a cloudy sky.
Thanks to the ensemble forecast, if all forecasts agree that it will be clear ... you are probably in the clear. (The Pro tier is also ad-free)
The ensemble forecast feature is also available to astronomy clubs and star parties at no cost if you qualify (that tier still has ads but you do get the ensemble forecasts). It is nice that the author extends this to clubs and star parties that do public outreach to share their passion for the night sky.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Daniel Fiordalis
- 28.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Astrospheric LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Astrospheric Pro Subscription $2.99
- Astrospheric Pro Subscription $29.99