Learn your favorite songs without tabs or sheet music.
Whether you play for the world or yourself, all musicians need a good ear for harmony, melody, and rhythm. Using the songs in your music collection, Capo guesses the beats, chords, and key of songs to help you break them down to their individual parts. Capo’s unique technology helps you to learn your favorites quickly as you improve your ear along the way.
Capo is simple and yet so, so good, even the professionals use it:
“Capo is AMAZING!!! Very clutch. Especially when parts are kinda tough in the mix that I can’t make out easily. With other apps you lose quality, this still sounds correct.”
- Omar Edwards: Keyboardist/Music Director for Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West, Eminem, and more
“When I sat down and started using Capo for the first time, I was amazed at how big a punch this little app packs! It's intuitive, convenient, and high-quality.”
- Rebecca Lovell: Lead Vocals, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Piano for Larkin Poe
(Read more at capoapp.com/testimonials)
*** HEAR THE SONG ***
Slow down playback, scrub to hear specific notes, and easily create regions that loop as you learn to play the tricky parts. Use Capo’s tools to isolate specific instruments and even vocals to learn any part of a song. With a couple simple switches, you can focus on the piano or eliminate everything to practice the guitar solo and make transcription easier.
*** BREAK IT DOWN ***
Capo automatically detects chords, beats, and the key of songs to get you started. Change, add, or remove the detected chords easily with a few taps as you identify alternate chords and voicings. Use Capo's structure song view to edit Capo's beat grid for songs with changing, or uncommon time signatures.
*** PAUSE THE SESSION (PRO) ***
With an active subscription, Capo saves the loop regions you set, chord changes, and even the playback position into Projects. Learn songs at your own pace and revisit them on all your devices using iCloud.
*** SO MUCH MORE ***
* Transpose songs to different keys
* Rename regions to keep organized
* Beat detection estimates the tempo and helps snap regions
* Edit chords one at a time or globally
* Display chord diagrams for Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele, Bass, and now Piano
* Rock on southpaws! Capo has a left-handed chord box option
* Five different metronome sounds
* Learn more about Capo touch Pro below!
**NOTE**: Capo works with music you own, but cannot access streaming tracks from Apple Music, Spotify, etc.
* If you don’t own a particular track, Capo makes it simple to buy a DRM-free copy on the iTunes Store
*** GO PRO ***
Without an active subscription, Capo touch will not save your edits to the chords, beats, regions, markers, or sections in your Projects.
For $19.99 per year, Capo touch Pro:
* Saves all your changes to Projects, which are synced across your devices
* Provides full access to upcoming features and improvements
* Helps support future development of the product
*** GO PLATINUM ***
For $49.99 per year, Capo Platinum gives you everything in Capo touch Pro *plus* the ability to unlock all the features in Capo for macOS.
All prices shown in this description are in USD. Exact prices may vary by region based on current exchange rates. Payment will be charged to your Apple ID Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off from Settings after purchase.
# New Features
## Larger Chord Sizes (iPad Only)
On the iPad, you can now choose to display chords with a larger size, making them easier to read in the PRACTICE, TABBING, and CHORDS song views. Note that using Capo in split-screen mode may override your size preference when there isn't enough room for the larger chords.
## Improved In-App Release Notes
Thanks to automatic updates, it's easy to miss out on the details of our ongoing work on Capo between larger releases. To keep you in the loop, we now ship Capo with a more comprehensive set of change history that goes all the way back to the 4.0 release that shipped in late 2019.
In future updates to Capo, you'll be prompted to view these release notes at your convenience, and you can revisit them at any time by selecting the What's New item in Capo's top-level settings screen.
* Chord boxes for 4- and 5-stringed instruments are now rendered slightly more narrow than the standard 6-string diagrams, which looks a little closer to what folks might expect
* Added support for a few chords that have been requested in support: 6add9 (aka 6/9), 7sus2, maj7sus2, 7sus4, and maj7sus4. (Note: You have to specify "6add9" in your chord searches, because "6/9" throws off our support for recognizing inversions. We plan to address this issue soon!)
# Bug Fixes
* On devices running iOS 12, projects that are received via AirDrop now get copied to the correct location, and no longer get lost when they are closed. (#1842)
* When browsing songs in your music library, the title for the back button no longer disappears (#1840)
* The control strip no longer displays a placeholder title, or grays out any active PLAYBACK buttons when you tap the folder icon to return to the list of projects. (#1774)
* When loading projects that have the playhead positioned near bar numbers greater than 100 in the PRACTICE song view, the bar label is no longer truncated. (#1835)
* When switching your instrument to something other than a guitar in standard tuning, Capo now correctly remembers this selection for new projects (#1803)
* Capo no longer takes you to an outdated (and apparently broken!) URL on Apple's servers when you attempt to change or cancel your subscription from the settings screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Best app for learning Jazz solos and Irish tunes from recordings.
As an amateur musician, I’ve found Capo to be the best App out there for learning Jazz solos and the intricate ornamentation of Irish tunes. It provides the cleanest “slow-down” of any of the apps that I’ve tried. The flexibility of its looping and other playback features makes it much easier to breakdown complicated riffs. It’s ability to sort out the key and chord changes is truly remarkable; while not infallible, this provides a great starting point for piecing together transcriptions for both chord and melody instruments. The interface is clean and very well thought out. This becomes even more obvious the longer you use Capo, since its many capabilities do require some patience to learn/uncover. I could go on and on.
The developers are solid and seem committed to a quality product for the long term, as evidenced by the updates that have been deployed since Capo’s inception (check out their newsletter to get a sense of what their team is about). At $10 a YEAR, this app is way worth it!
One suggestion. I’d love there to be an option to have the identified/edited chords automatically sound out, while the original recording rolls along in the background - rather than having to tap each and every chord symbol at the appropriate moments.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your thorough review of Capo touch and the feature suggestion.
awesome audio technology
I’m a composer and love to ad lib compositions, knowing someday day i will have to slog thru the process of listening to chord progressions, analyzing, and writing them down. ugh! that 90% of Creativity can be a bit of a deterrent. This app is awesome at picking out subtle jazz chords. and, if its wrong, the corrections are ez. I believe it lacks a Lead Sheet option. If so, that would be great in future versions. Seems strange, all this advanced technology, and you still have to manually list the chords. Otherwise, the app has a lot options for adjustments to bars, speeds, keys, chord names, etc. that make composition and play along a piece of cake.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for this review of Capo. Glad to hear you're finding it so useful. We do hope to have a lead sheet option in the future.
Subscription services are lucrative for developers, I guess. But, for the user I have to decide which apps to subscribe to (if any) and which ones I have to quit using because I can’t afford a subscription for every app I use. I don’t mind buying an app at all, but having to pay an annual fee is just beyond my means. And so, I will switch my slow-down app to something else other than Capo because they, at some point, will go to the next version (x.x or Y.x or whatever) and I will be left in the dust having to subscribe again to enjoy some minor tweak of the app. If every developer ends up with subscription requirements I will just have to abandon my support for them all. How many $50, $20, $75, $20, $40, $20, $25 services can you afford? For me it’s not many and so I just stop using an app that thinks their product should charge me a monthly or annual fee to use it!! There are plenty of alternatives out there. The smart developer should appreciate their customer’s PURCHASE of an app, like I did with Capo years ago, to support their further development of the app. They should take into consideration that users will have to decide which apps to keep or which apps to abandon. The less used apps I have will be the first to go. And, Capo falls into that category as there are many alternatives that don’t require a subscription fee after purchase.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- SuperMegaUltraGroovy, Inc.
- 58.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 SuperMegaUltraGroovy, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Capo touch Pro - Yearly $19.99
- Capo Platinum $49.99
- Capo touch Pro - Upgrade $9.99
- Capo Platinum - Upgrade $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.