Classroom turns your Mac into a powerful teaching assistant, helping you guide students through a lesson, see their progress, and keep them on track. With Classroom, you can easily launch the same app on every student iPad at the same time or launch a different app for each group of students. Classroom helps teachers focus on teaching so students can focus on learning.
Assign Shared iPads to students
• Once configured, Classroom connects to nearby student iPads
• Classroom intelligently assigns students to the Shared iPad they most recently used
• Log students out of Shared iPad at the end of a session to prepare for the next class
Start, focus, or pause student work
• Launch any app, website, or book for students with a click
• Lock into a single app to help students focus
• Lock screens to pause work or refocus your class
• Mute audio on student devices
See what your students see with Screen View
• See an overview of all student screens at once
• Focus on a single student screen
• Students are informed when their screens are being viewed
Share documents and links with your class using AirDrop
• Share to your entire class with just one click
• Students can also share with you
Share student work on the classroom Apple TV
• Show the great work your students are doing to the entire class
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly present a student’s screen
• Students are informed when their screens are being presented
Reset forgotten passwords right in the classroom
• Reset a Managed Apple ID password without calling IT
Organize students using groups
• Classroom automatically creates groups of students based on the apps they are using
• Teachers can create groups to break students into project teams
• Perform actions on entire groups or on individual students within groups
Great for use with both 1:1 and Shared iPad student devices
Supports IT-managed classes or teacher-created classes
All actions take place over the local network only
Teacher: Mac with macOS Mojave or later
Students: iPad with iOS 12 or later
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled on both student and teacher devices
Students within Bluetooth range of the teacher running Classroom
• Create and edit classes that sync to Apple School Manager
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Mac vs iPad Use
I have used the Classroom app with an iPad for a couple of years. I was really used to how smooth and comfortable it was to implement. This version allowing my MacBook to connect to my student's MacBooks is a bit hit and miss. I realize they may still be working out the kinks. It doesn't allow me to manage or aid my students as much as I used to with the iPad to iPad Classroom. However, it is still a useful tool that I hope to implement when finals role around. One must make sure all students have their computers up to date. I had quite a few of them not being able to join my class, because they hadn't updated their software to Mojave 10.14.6. or to Catalina. Hopefully, through time it will continue to improve.
Needs support with Big Sur
Ever since I updated to Big Sur, I am not longer able to see my students' iPads. I have had them leave the class and rejoin, created new classes and had them join, and uninstalled and reinstalled the App--nothing works. This app is useless if it won't even show students in the classroom. I loved it before the update, now I can't even use it at all.
Apple really needs to make Classroom sync so that teachers can use it on their iPads and computers. It is incredibly inconvenient to have to make students join twice if you want to use it on both devices. It would also be great if teachers could block specific websites.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 6.5 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.