Concepts is a flexible space to think, plan and create. Sketch plans and whiteboard on the infinite canvas, write notes, doodles and mindmaps, draw storyboards, product sketches and design plans, then share with friends, clients and other apps.
Concepts’ vector nature means every stroke is editable. Pens, pencils, watercolor… if you mess up, just fix it with the Nudge, Slice and Select tools.
Concepts is used by amazing people at Disney, Playstation, Philips, HP, Apple, Google, Unity and Illumination Entertainment to take ideas from concept to reality. Join us!
• an infinite canvas sketchbook / whiteboard with many paper types and grids
• dozens of realistic pens, pencils and brushes that flow with pressure, tilt and velocity, plus create your own for comfortable and flexible drawing
• a tool wheel or bar you can personalize with your favorite brushes and presets
• customize your gallery, canvas, tools, gestures, everything
• the beautiful COPIC color wheel
• editable vector-based sketching - move, organize, edit by tool, color, size, scale, smoothing, opacity; transform or nudge lines to shape them anytime
• drag+drop images + PDF files right onto the canvas
• unlimited layers with adjustable opacity
• create, store and share vector object libraries synced across devices
• shape guides, scale and measurement tools that calculate real-world dimensions - useful for architects, contractors and makers
• define exports with a custom movable artboard, and export images, vector SVG + PDFs to scale for printing, portfolios, team + client feedback and efficient flow between apps (including Procreate, Sketchbook, AutoCAD and Adobe)
• share directly to email, text, Files, cloud, photos, your favorite social apps and present with AirPlay
"I use Concepts more than any other tool. I absolutely love it. The natural, fluid, vector-based workflow is so easy to use, but incredibly powerful. The technology never gets in the way of creativity. The fast and clean user experience makes it a joy to use.” - Yarrow Cheney, film director
"The Concepts app has not changed what I do, just transformed how I do it. It offers me the power, flexibility and adaptability of technology with all the sensitivity and immediacy of traditional hand drawing. In short, it is an app that I now cannot imagine being without, and the only time I’ve experienced something that betters pen and paper.” - Ewen Miller, Calderpeel Architects
“I use it just for everything. Drawing, making notes, brainstorming, PDF markup, wireframing, design — EVERYTHING. And it delivers.” - natanaeldekross
Sketch FREE. Enjoy awesome tools, COPIC colors, five layers, our infinite canvas, paper + grid types, and JPG exports. Optimized for use with the Apple Pencil.
Pay-As-You-Go. Become powerful with Essentials and edit your strokes; unlock infinite layers, shape guides, measurement, basic shapes and custom brushes. Export PNG, PSD, SVG, DXF and CPT native file formats. Object packs, professional brushes and PDF sold separately.
Subscribe to Concepts Everything and sketch freely with every feature, brush + object library we’ll ever make. Enjoy Team Sharing for smooth collaboration, including live-sharing of object libraries, color palettes and brushes.
If you opt to subscribe monthly or yearly, payment will charge to your iTunes Account at time of purchase. Your plan will renew automatically at the price shown above within 24 hours of billing period end unless turned off beforehand. You can cancel or make changes at any time in your iTunes Account settings. Unused portions of any free trial period are forfeit if you make changes to your subscription.
We’re dedicated to quality and update often. Your experience matters to us. Chat with us in-app via Ask Us Anything, email us at email@example.com, or find us anywhere with @ConceptsApp.
COPIC is the trademark of Too Corporation. Many thanks to Lasse Pekkala and Osama Elfar for cover art!
Since version 5.6, Concepts has been running full speed on iOS 13, including dark mode and faster ink response. In this release we have made improvements to pave the way for things to come:
• Added previews for .concept files in the Files app. Export a drawing to Files either via the Export menu or with Drag & Drop from the gallery. Open the Files app and you will now see a thumbnail preview of the drawing.
• Improved the snap behaviour of basic shapes in the Shapes pack. The corners of the shapes are now snap points, making connecting them easier.
• Updated SVG export to use the drawing’s units (e.g. inches or cms) as the coordinate system in the exported file.
Other changes and bug/crash fixes:
• Fixed the brush preview breaking when testing Slice in the brush menu.
• Renamed Hard and Soft Erasers to Hard and Soft Masks, to more clearly communicate the purpose of these brushes.
• Fixed keyboard issues related to iOS 13.
• Fixed a crash when initiating drag & drop while a drawing was closing.
• Fixed a crash condition with opening a gallery popup and a drawing simultaneously.
If you appreciate what we are doing, please leave us a five-star review on the App Store. To keep up with the latest news and updates, follow @ConceptsApp on your favorite channel.
The Concepts Team @ TopHatch
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using Concepts for over a year, during which time it’s evolved from “oh, that’s nice” to an absolutely essential part of my workflow. My main use of Concepts is for various kinds of technical sketching/drafting purposes. Everything from concept drawings for projects destined for the workshop and/or CAD, pattern drafting complex fiber arts work, and much more. I’m not a production visual artist; rather Concepts is my first-stop design studio.
As such, Concepts’ infinite canvas, layers, and vector-vs-pixel based model are the key features that make my work a joy. With the infinite canvas, I can seamlessly work and sketch on related ideas & drawings, then rearrange and/or export what I need for inclusion in other documents. Layers are a gigantic timesaver, making it easy to select, duplicate, and modify various “slices” of my work, allowing easy correction of mistakes, evolution of ideas, and eliminating lots of tedious redrawing. Likewise, the vector model plays into the layer support, making it straightforward to select, group, and edit individual artifacts.
All that’s the tip of the iceberg. As you get further into it, so many features come together to make your work better and faster. How about a *tiny* bit of smoothing to clean up my janky line work? Or crank smoothing to 100% for minute to get ruler-straight lines without even having to break out the “Precision” tools.
I started using this app 1 day before the release of version 5. I made this sprawling and complex drawing of a customer journey map to map out the design of a brand new feature we’re working on for our app. I found the version 4 UI highly functional but felt it was really complicated and busy. I was only using the free version, since that was fulfilling my needs.
That all changed with version 5. Version 5 introduces an all-new UI (and payment structure) which massively simplifies the controls while drawing, and lets you hide and show different panels if they’re in the way (the Layers button for example). I’m still confused about how the color palates work, so I’m using the “Recent” color palate and that’s doing the job. This tool feels indispensable to me now. That infinite canvas is amazing, and the sketch tools and features feel like a super expensive piece of drawing software at a fraction of the price.
My favorite feature, and why it’s awesome for drawing journey maps and wireframes for designing apps, is Concepts’ infinitely-sized canvas. It’s like the biggest whiteboard ever and you can just keep going and going. Making super long journey map type of work is nearly impossible on fixed page size drawing apps, so this is truly revolutionary for me.
It’s now crazy good
Concepts has gone through many changes since my last five star review a couple of years ago. It’s really a different app now, only better than ever. They went through an evolution where there were so many powerful features being added, that the app lost its intuitive feel, and there was even one point at which it was sometimes frustrating for users like myself who just needed a go-to sketch program, and didn’t “live” in the app enough to keep up. Not any more. Somehow, with the addition and integration of powerful new editing tools that let you select and have your right-brain way with your drawing, the Wow is back. I think the key is that Concepts, unlike some other apps I also own (and like), is conceived from the ground up as a tablet program, and not an adaptation of a more PC centric package like GIMP or Photoshop, etc. The developers also release more updates than for any other such app I have, almost always containing useful features along with under the hood fixes, as though...oh, I don’t know, maybe they actually try using what they design or something. How nuts is that? Six to seven stars for this latest version.
- TopHatch, Inc.
- 200.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © TopHatch, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Pack [Legacy] $7.99
- Essentials $14.99
- Upgrade to Essentials $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.