MODALapp delivers an immersive programming experience for musicians, sound designers and producers. Build around a straightforward interface, MODALapp represents all sound forming and performance parameters. MODALapp also allows to update your hardware with the latest firmware version easily.
MODALapp is compatible with the following MODAL hardware:
Full-featured Sound Editor
• Easy Access to all Oscillators, Morphing Filters, Envelopes and LFOs to design your signature sound
• Edit precisely the Effects section to add character and expressive ambiences
• Use the modulation matrix to control sound parameters automatically
Sequencer and Arp
• Spice up your sounds with Sequence and Arp pattern, easily programmable via the dedicated App section
• Add sound variates by modulating synth parameters via the four Sequencer Animation lanes
Easy Sound Management
• Copy and paste synth sounds and create patch orders according to your setlist
• Upload new patches into your MODAL device
Control the General Settings
• Control all general settings of your MODAL hardware, incl. external sync sources, display settings, volume settings, and (when applicable) keyboard and external pedal settings
Keep your MODAL hardware up to date
• Update the latest firmware directly into your MODAL device
- Fixed manual links
- Improved stability when detecting new devices
- ARGON8M and ARGON8X are now named correctly in the tab button bar
- Disabled the Midi Local, Aftertouch curve and Velocity curve controls when connected to an ARGON8M as these controls don’t apply to that unit
- It is now possible to alter the tempo by double clicking and typing in the desired BPM
- The selected patch bank is no longer reset to Bank 0 when switching between preset bank types
- Imposed restrictions on the enterable range for editable rotary sliders
- Text sliders can now be clicked to increment/decrement their values, click on the left side of the slider to decrement and the right side to increment
- Streamlined some redundant communication with the device
- Cmd selecting presets will no longer occasionally cause a mix up of names when exporting presets
- Fixed a graphical issue with the sequence/FX preset selectors whereby the save button would not correctly highlight when starting the save process
- Fixed anim lane parameters not greying out correctly after loading a sequence
- Fixed an issue where animation lane data would not be displayed correctly after exporting a sequence
- Fixed a case where it was possible to get spammed with an error message that no longer applied after hitting the ‘yes to all’ button
- Fixed controller change and program change midi messages from third party devices getting their channels set to the MPE master channel when in MPE mode and forwarding to ARGON.
- Fixed an issue where disconnecting another device would cause the MPE forwarding to no longer work until the MPE settings were reset or MODALapp was refreshed
- Added new settings options, including: MPE controls, Global tuning and Touch sensitivity
- Added combo boxes for selecting mod slot sources and destinations, invalid options are no longer selectable
- Removed an invalid mod slot source->destination combo as an option - (LFO-1 to LFO-1 Shape)
- Added new settings options, including: Midi Local, Arp Output, Midi In Octave and Global Tune
- Added combo boxes for selecting mod slot destinations, invalid options are no longer selectable
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Excellent editor for a great synth
The Skulpt is one of my favorite synths. It’s very approachable for sound design, and with 32 detuneable oscillators it can produce some massive sounds. And as a bonus it’s tiny and cheap!
The app is, likewise, one of the best of its kind. Most editors are a barfed-up screenful of knobs, but this one shows the waveforms and envelopes visually. It could stand improvement — setting up mods is a PITA, and I’d love a grid-based sequencer — but I’m happy with it. I’d give the app alone four stars, but if you’re reading this you’re probably considering the synth(s) too, and the whole package deserves five.
Modal Craft - Crafty Goodness
If you have the Modal Craft Synth you know how valuable this program is. It gives a fine and direct visual guide to programming this wonderful new mono-synth. It also expands the number of patches well beyond the sixteen which are flashed into the Craftsynth's memory. This app allows access to two more full (sixteen) banks of lovely presets, bringing the total of factory patches to forty eight. It also allows for the user to create and store an unlimited number of their own sonic creations.
The synth alone is a whole lotta awesome, and with the use of the app the tones I have been able to coax out of it beggar belief. This is NOT simply a toy, but a legitimate synthesizer which is capable of producing some harmonically rich and harmonically pure sounds. The bass can go from subtle and soothing to bone-crushing terror. The pads are surprisingly dense and varied, and can be fairly intense as well. The noises - bubbly and blippy and quite alien. I think that my personal favorite so far is the new-age pan flutes which I brought forth - superbly satisfying. I could talk about oscillators and filters and lfo's and such, but that's what the specs sheets are for.
If you are on the fence about getting the Craftsynth kit, watch the videos and reviews on SonicState and others. They are spot on accurate and give a good picture of what this combo (synth/app) are capable of. Although there are some aspects of this which might be frustrating for those just getting into electronic instruments, namely connecting a wired controller to the synth while also using the ipad, but there is likely a simple work around. Regardless, for what you get here, Modal has done a terrific job of creating a brilliant little digital mono-synth for the masses. I hope that this is in fact the first of many such creations.
Thank you Modal. Keep up the out of the box thinking.
Attempted the upgrade n now my Craftsynth is a Vegetable. How does one reset/re-install the initial firmware that came on the synth. I read the manual n scoured the Modal Electronics side and cannot find how correct this situation. The Craftsynth now has four blinking lights, when I connect power, saying it's brainless.
Developer Response ,
Apologies for the issues! Please send an email to email@example.com, and we will guide you through the recovery process.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.