From critically acclaimed storytelling to powerful photography to engaging videos — the Des Moines Register app delivers the local news that matters most to your community.
• Access all of our in-depth journalism, including things to do around town, sports coverage from high school to the pros, and much more.
• Enjoy a streamlined, fast-loading experience that makes it easy to view the stories, photos, and videos that matter to you.
• Get breaking news, sports scores, and weather alerts with real-time notifications tailored to your interests.
• Customize your experience by saving your favorite stories, adjusting text size, using night mode, or reading offline.
• Terms of Service: http://cm.desmoinesregister.com/terms/
• Questions or Comments: email@example.com
• Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription, where applicable. See "Subscription Support" in the app's Settings for more details and customer service contact information.
• We’ve made starting and maintaining your subscription even easier.
• We’ve added more personalized content recommendations.
Ratings and Reviews
Good information and released in a timely manner. I don’t stay logged in though on my phone and it drives me crazy. I’m logged in and then all of a sudden it will tell me I just have 6 free articles. I would like it to be more user-friendly, sometimes I click the app, sometimes I click an article from Facebook or Twitter. It doesn’t always work.
Could be so much better
I love having digital access to the local newspaper. I do not love the format of that access. I generally use the ‘Top Stories’ to try to peruse the latest news headlines. The section has grown larger and larger over time, but has not improved or given me more actual news. It must have some sort of random story poster and keeps the same stories up for weeks, NONE OF WHiCH ARE DATED. New stories mix with the old and the only way to know is click into each one and check. This is particularly bothersome with things like COVID statistic updates, which appeared daily for a long time. A story about 500 new cases might appear right alongside a story about 30 new cases and you’d never know if either was current. In addition, the same story will often appear many times in one scrolling, sometimes with a different headline. There seems to sometimes be a loose grouping of similar stories, but that is not consistent. The lead-in text is highly variable in both amount and quality. I would like to see an overhaul where there is a section for today’s news, with some divisions or sections for subject matter. Any stories from other dates than today need that date right there with the headline, and to be somewhere else entirely. Lead-in text should be consistent and concise and let me tell easily whether I want to read the rest of the story within a few words.
Want to read comments!
The app works ‘just fine’ to read articles. Two things I’m very much NOT in favor of: 1) If you want to read the comments you can’t do that here. Personally, I subscribe specifically because I want to read the comments from other readers. 2) You CAN read the comments using the web. But any time you’re reading an article on the web, and click on any link to return to the main paper, IT OPENS THE APP. If you want to read the article comments, you’ll then need to close the app, navigate back to your web browser, where you can read exactly ONE article, before the app opens again and you get to start the whole process over again. App is great for reading articles and navigating the on-line paper. Garbage if you actually want to read comments. Don’t understand why this is so - other Gannett apps actually DO let you read the comments on their papers. Should be a fairly easy update.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 190.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2022 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Des Moines Register Digital Subscription $11.99
- Des Moines Register Annual Digital Subscription $69.99