Figure Anatomy is a great reference and learning app to help draw human characters for both beginner and expert artists. This app works on both iPad and iPhone.
Choose from a number of poses from 3D scanned models, and create your composition by adjusting lighting and the camera view. Just like in a real figure drawing session, move the lights around the model to create an interesting interplay of lights and shadows, or to match the lighting of a specific scene.
Sketch using standard view as reference or bring the models to life by utilizing the Augmented Reality (AR) feature to put the model in a real environment. Check your sketch proportions with the reference model using the Sketch Alignment Camera feature. Share your work with your friends on Facebook.
- Choose from the list of 3D scanned models for preferred poses
- Make the model move with a slider to adjust the pose
- FOV Slider for Camera Focal Length
- Select between spotlight or directional light
- Adjust the light angles and intensity
- Adjust the rim light
- Lock button to lock the user interface
- Hide User Interface for full screen
- Randomize among 64 camera and lighting presets available
- Reset to default view and lighting setup
- Choose between a textured or untextured mode
- Augmented reality mode using ARKit to place the figure into your environment. (For supported devices only)
- Check the proportions of your drawing by using camera mode
- Share your masterpiece with your friends via Facebook
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Crash fix on some devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Great potential, not enough content
I was really excited when I stumbled across this app, and when I tried it out, even more so. The developers did a great job with the controls and this is the type of app, when fully developed, that could really speed up the professional illustrators workflow. Unfortunately the app is crippled by two things, a lack of available poses and a bad pricing model.
There are thousands of available pose references online, many for free. This tool is better that all of them in its ability to move the model freely, and adjust the lighting dynamically, as well as the focal length of the “camera”. This is incredibly useful! But unfortunately all of this is useless to me as there are not enough poses. This tool would need to contain a library of hundreds of poses before I could consider using it professionally. It should also have facial expressions and hand poses to be fully realized.
The UI could use some work as well, feels dated. Get rid of the textures, it just clutters things up. That’s a nitpick though.
Lastly, no one is going to pay $1 per pose. Get a huge catalog of poses then charge a subscription model for professionals, then have a light version for the tinkerers. Honestly there is a big opportunity being missed here. This could be an indispensable tool for professional illustrators.
Poor resolution for some of the images you buy
Ironically, the free image is one of the best resolution of the images I have. Two of the three I’ve purchased of the female model are poor resolution (images #4 and #6). The images I’ve purchased of the male model seem fine, but the images I bought of the female model were a waste of money.
This is a pathetic excuse for a pose app. I thought I’d check it out but after just a few minutes I wanted to buy it even less than before. You only get a few models, no good poses, can’t pose them yourself so it’s worthless. Don’t buy!
To the developers this looks like it might be decent with another few months of development but if you actually want money from it it needs serious improvements because this is by far the worst app of this kind that I have found so far. That means there are free apps that are 100 times better. Why pay for this when I can get a free app with better looking models, more features and I can pose them myself. If those features are available then put them in the free version so a real artist like me can actually test and see if it something I want to buy. I might have considered paying if I could create custom poses and if the full color version of the models actually looked good. Also if the color ones had a nude option.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Human Engine LLC
- 225.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity Unrestricted Web Access Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Human Engine LLC