A great and easy-to-use music notation editor on iOS. Flat is an app that lets you create, edit, playback, print and export your sheet music and tabs. Cloud-based, you can also edit scores with your web browser and collaborate in real-time across devices with friends and colleagues.
Flat brings the following features among many others:
• Your music notation editor in your pocket with a clean and intuitive interface.
• Read and write music notation and guitar tabs, together.
• Real-time collaboration and offline edition if you lose your internet connection.
• Share online on Flat, or export to PDF, MIDI, MusicXML, MP3 and WAV.
• Print to AirPrint enabled printers.
• Over 100 instruments available, including Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass.
• Quickly input notation with our touch piano and drum pads.
• Hundreds of music notations available in multiple toolbars: notes, articulations, dynamics, measures, texts, etc.
• An easy way to add chords with a useful autocompletion.
• Transpose by key, interval, and tone.
• Choose what part to display when working on your score, with Continuous and Page View.
• And much more…
Once you're done composing, share your composition with a worldwide community of more than 2 million composers. Or simply print it, export it to PDF, MIDI, MusicXML, MP3 or WAV files.
Premium features included in this app with our Flat Power offer (in-app purchase as a monthly or yearly subscription):
• Unlimited cloud storage, access and edit your scores on your iOS devices and with your web browser
• Complete history with every single change you made using the app available in your account online
• Advanced export and printing: Print without the Flat branding on your pages. Export and Print individual parts, and use our automatic printing options like multi-measures rests.
• Layout and styles: Page dimensions, Spacing between score elements, Chords style, Jazz/Handwritten music fonts...
• Custom notes heads: Boomwhackers colors, Notes Names, Shape-Note (Aiken)…
• Keyboard shortcuts for your iPad keyboard.
• Input music notes with your MIDI devices (USB and Bluetooth).
• Advanced audio options: parts volume and reverb
Terms for the in-app payments: Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase. Any used portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when a subscription to that publication is purchased.
Please feel free to contact our product team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or feedback regarding our app.
• Various other bug fixes and UI improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
One piece of advice
This app is amazing, and is the best on the app store for music notation apps. Its amount of content, ease of access, and scope all outshadow its competitors. My only suggestion is an addition to your premium plan which I believe should have microtonal accidentals. This is because currently there is no real motive to get the plan, so an extra small incentive might help. Obviously these are not especially important to a normal person, but these would help certain composers and teach others a new way if writing music while providing a reason to actually get your plan. Of course, it might take a while to notate every instrument, so I advise only adding it for piano and strings, and maybe woodwinds and/or brass. These should encompass the plus and minus marks which are part of the Pythagorean tuning system, and also one-fourth and three-fourth flats and sharps. Thank you for your time.
Good for most people
This app is great for if you just want to write something out quick. Obviously the phone isn't going to be most ideal method of composing music, but I feel like there are a few things here and there that could use some tweaking. Particularly with the guitar interface. I know I'm probably a minority when it comes to this, but I would like to use this so I can transcribe songs accurately, most of them being rock/metal songs, which are sometimes in different guitar/bass tunings like D standard, Eb standard or drop C, and while you can write in lower notes than what's accessible with standard E, it won't show up on the tablature, which, if you're someone who uses tablature primarily, can be a little inconvenient. So lower tunings for guitars/basses I think would be a welcome addition. Also, many of the guitar techniques that you can write out on the app won't happen during playback. For example, palm muting doesn't change the guitar sound, it just says that the notes are palm muted, bends and pre bends sometimes won't even appear in the music even after repeated attempts to add them in, and even when they do get added in, the notes will not bend during playback. Letting notes ring also doesn't do anything during playback, it just says to let the notes ring. Otherwise I'd say this is going to be fine for everyone else, which is why I gave it a 4 star rating even if I personally had some problems with it.
Very hard to use !
This is the third time I’ve tried to leave a review and they keep disappearing before I get a chance to push send ! there is no tutorial to teach you how to use this app. there are lots of help cards to teach you how to use advanced functions of the app but nothing how to teach you how to use it in a basic way. first I couldn’t figure out how to put two notes in the same place I found that by mistake. but there is no tutorial on how to do it. there is no help in the community because there seems to be no way to talk to anyone in the community just a way to post music. Every time I get to the end of a bar that I’ve written it adds a new bar with a couple of symbols I don’t recognize and a bunch of rest that I don’t want in the music. I cannot figure out how to get rid of them when you try to delete them it simply deletes everything you wrote and leaves the things that it added without your permission. as a result I cannot make this app write out a simple drumming exercise so that I can repeat it. I also could not find a way to get it to repeat the notation as most songs repeat the same pattern many times. Attention developers if you want good reviews for your apps you need to show people how to use them !
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback. We do have a quick getting started steps, and then some short help videos regarding most of the features available. We cannot obviously show everything when you start using the app, as not all the features apply to everyone. The feature you are looking for is "Voices", and there is a help page and video in-app about using this one.
Regarding the "unwanted measures", Flat always inserts new measures when you write your music, it saves time and avoids manually adding those. When you are done with the score, just remove the last measure from the measure toolbar to remove a potential last empty measure. The measures by default contain quarter rests (or similar depending on the key signature and nothing else). If you need any help, please contact our support at email@example.com.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Tutteo Limited
- 104.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Tutteo Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Flat Power (Monthly) $9.99
- Flat Power (Yearly) $49.99
- Flat Power (Lifetime) $199.99