Scans printed sheet music using the built-in camera and plays it for you.
Ever wondered how that interesting-looking piece of sheet music actually sounds? It's easy with Sheet Music Scanner. Just point your iPhone or iPad at the sheet and let it play the notes for you. You can choose the instrument, pick the speed and enjoy!
2 for 1 universal iOS app: iPhone / iPod touch and iPad - you get Sheet Music Scanner for all your iOS devices for the price of one.
• Scan the whole sheet instantly using your built-in camera
• Scan and playback from any image in your Photo library or from a PDF *
• Playback from anywhere in the song - simply tap the measure, the notes and symbols are highlighted as they're played
• Export as MIDI, MusicXML, audio (M4A / AAC, MP3, WAV), PDF to cloud storage *, directly to other apps or via AirDrop
* Note on Export / Import: All major cloud storages supported: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc. Note that the appropriate cloud storage client app has to be installed for this to work.
• Reads and recognizes the following symbols of musical notation pertaining to melody, harmony, and rhythm: treble, bass, and alto (viola) clefs, notes, duration dots, rests, accidentals, note ties *
• Support for voices played in tandem, e.g. both piano hands at the same time, or all the choir voices
• Support for playing individual staffs separately, e.g. right or left piano hand
• Support for multiple pages
• Accommodates speeds between 50 and 330 beats per minute
* Some limitations apply - please see at the bottom of the page.
• Accordion, Acoustic Bass, Alto Sax, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Celeste, Cello, Choir, Clarinet, Double Bass, Flute, French Horn, Guitar - Classical, Clean, Distortion, Glockenspiel, Harp, Mandolin, Marimba, Oboe, Organ (Percussive, Pipe, Reed, Rock, Tonewheel), Piano, Recorder, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Vibraphone, Viola, Violin, Xylophone
• Supports actual instrument pitch for the transposing instruments
• Supports pitch shift / sound transposition by semitones up to 2 octaves up or down
• Change your pitch standard based on instrument, from standard 440Hz to 380-480 Hz
MINIMUM RECOMMENDED DEVICES
iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2
• Reads printed sheet music, not handwritten or mimicking handwriting, tablatures, etc.
• Reads standard oval note heads only, no special symbols like shape notes.
• The following symbols are not currently supported: repeat signs, codas, triplets/tuplets, percussion notation, dynamics, double sharps, double flats, and grace notes. These are planned to come in the future updates.
• The app currently reads 3 clefs: treble, bass, and alto. Recognition of octave clefs and clef changes in the middle of one staff are on the roadmap.
• Use high-quality printed sheet music and take photos under good enough light, when scanning from your camera, for optimal results. For scanning from a file, the recommended resolution is 300 DPI or 8-12 MPx per page.
• Some older prints and unusual fonts may not be recognizable.
If you experience any problems, please contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Improved flat and bass clef recognition.
- Fixed the navigation bar colors.
- Added Pizzicato Strings.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Very Helpful for Learning Music
Update: This app is the best I've seen for what it does. I've been enjoying it for a long time. It's easy to learn how to use it and the developer always has updates. I'm writing this on October 20, 2018. --- Previous Reviews:
The way I use this app: I use this app as the instructions indicate, then I play the piece and try to improve my playing - I am trying to learn how to play piano by hitting the notes on a keyboard since I have no room or money to buy a larger piano. Important: I find this app extremely helpful in learning how a piece of music sounds because once you scan the printable piece of music - a song from a music book for example - the app plays the song. I need this function in order to learn how to play songs that I have never heard before. I am so very happy to have found this app. There are not many apps around like this one that actually work well. If I could give this app a million stars, I would!! Thank you.
Improvements for voiceover users
As someone who primarily with music broil and listen to music but yeah, it is very helpful for me to understand how something sounds when I come out look at the picture, also having an app that will allow someone who completely blind to read print music is a good tool.
There are some things that are not perfect, but technology is never perfect. I would like to subtract a form of camera guidance similar to what is found in the Microsoft’s seeing AI app and KNFB Reader app. For example, when you hold the phone in the position to take a picture, it would be helpful to know whether or not the page is filling the screen. When voiceover tells you something Mark, left bottom corner not visible, you know you have to either raise the phone a little bit or move the phone slightly in the direction it in the cakes. Of course, one could just take a picture using Seeing AI and then export those photos into the app HealthTap but, ideally this would be a lot of problems with that having this place would be very useful.
Saw this as part of Apple’s music promotion. It looked good and had some good reviews so I decided to give it a try. I am absolutely blown away at how seamless it works! I saw that different instruments can be selected. I thought this was just for book keeping. I didn’t expect that playback uses different synthesized sound for these. I tested flute and clarinet and it sounds surprisingly realistic.
A few suggestions for improvement: if I add several sheets that are part of a bigger piece, it would be nice if tempo could be set separately for each segment. It would be nice, if in addition to bpm, the there were support for common tempi such as largo, andante, allegretto, presto, etc.
When importing from a photo, it would be nice if the app would allow me to crop prior to import. This is not a big problem, I just take photo first, crop it, and then import.
- David Zemsky
- 70.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © David Zemsky
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.