Forest Watcher is a mobile application designed to bring the dynamic online forest monitoring and alert systems of Global Forest Watch (GFW) offline and into the field. Forest Watcher allows users to easily access GFW’s forest change data on any mobile device, navigate to areas of detected change, and collect information about what they find, regardless of connectivity.
This app provides an affordable and easy-to-use solution to quickly identify areas for patrols or field investigations, collect evidence about forest changes from the field, use the data that’s collected to make evidence-based management and conservation decisions, and investigate remote sensing products in the field.
* Designate areas of interest to monitor, up to 20,000 sq km
* Store various satellite-based forest change data, such as near-real-time deforestation alerts on your mobile device
* Overlay contextual layers, such as Protected Areas and Timber Concessions, or upload other custom datasets
* Investigate alerts in the field and collect information (including GPS points and photos) through built-in and customizable forms
* Review, analyze, and download data collected with the app
* Route tracking to investigate a deforestation alert
* Share alerts, areas, routes, reports, contextual layers and basemap tiles or all app content at once.
* Manage a team and more through the supplementary desktop application at forestwatcher.globalforestwatch.org
If you have any issues downloading or using the app, please reference our “how-to” materials. If the issues persist, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any other questions or feedback, please contact us at email@example.com.
Full terms and conditions can be found at http://www.globalforestwatch.org/terms.
Version 2.0 of the Forest Watcher app provides a significant update to the design of the app and adds key features to support the investigation of deforestation:
*Alerts, routes, reports, contextual layers and basemaps may be overlaid on the map to identify locations for investigation.
*Key GFW contextual layers can be accessed both on or offline
*Custom layers can be uploaded to the app
*Custom basemaps can be imported and used alongside the alerts and other layers available
*Larger areas - up to 20,000sq km - can be added and monitored
*Ability to view GLAD and fires alerts on the map at the same time
*Alerts display their date of issue
*Ability to share alerts, areas, routes, reports, contextual layers and basemap tiles or all app content at once.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Amazing app for forest monitoring
This app brings GFW to your phone to make monitoring forests easy and efficient. It's really helpful to see deforestation and fire alerts in my area and be able to submit reports with data from patrols. Great job WRI!
Great offline tool for monitoring forests
Same powerful data as Global Forest Watch, but in a mobile app with clean interface, and easy to use.
Great app by WRI
WRI has built a meaningful and powerful tracking tool. It's great to be able to track forest progress (or deforestation ).
- World Resources Institute
- 77.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Indonesian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © World Resources Institute
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.