Explore, learn about, and document your geologic surroundings! Whether you are a professional geoscientist or curious about the rocks around you and the stories they tell, Rockd allows you to explore and learn about the geologic record, contribute your own observations, and log your journey through the geologic record.
- Instant access to geologic and geographic summaries of your current location via a Dashboard
- Interactive global access to more than 290 geologic maps, with more being added weekly
- Explore the landscape with a dynamic, 3D virtual globe
- Save maps for use in the field with a built-in map caching system
- See your past location and explore paleogeographic maps from C.R. Scotese and GPlates
- Explore published literature containing mentions of mapped geologic units (when available) via xDD (formerly, GeoDeepDive)
- Elevation data for most points on Earth from digital elevation models (DEMs)
- Add your own field observations even offline; tag features from Macrostrat and the Paleobiology Database
- Record strike/dip or trend/plunge for geologic features, using your phone's compass
- Track your progress through the geologic record privately, or share it with others
- See the public activity of other users and share your own and other public checkins using unique URLs
Rockd is produced by the Macrostrat lab in the Department of Geoscience at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Support provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Dept. of Geoscience.
Experiencing issues? Send an email to email@example.com and we will do our best to help you resolve it.
- Major updates to Google account authentication flows
- Fix a bug that made the checkin system unresponsive with certain partially-synced checkins
- Fix an issue that prevents the map from loading in some situations
Ratings and Reviews
This is important for my reasrearch, but!
This is crucial to a research project I have going, and I need to look up hundreds of sites manually. Sometimes I need to leave to app to check an exact location in another app but when I come back, the app refreshes and I have to go zoom in to that location again. This is infuriating to deal with over and over and over again. There’s no reason the app needs to refresh and start over from the beginning like this. Please consider changing this, or at least provide a setting that I can flip on and off. Thanks for the otherwise great app.
Gets more amazing with each update
I downloaded this when it first came out, and while it was fun right out of the gates, it was pretty clunky with much room for improvement. Well, the developers have heard the feedback and consistently added new features and are always fixing small bugs to make this the best (and only) “geological social media” app available! Anyone from a casual rockhound to a geology student (which I was when I first started using it, now have my B.Sc.) to PhD researchers can use this, and every checkin added by users helps supplement the amazing amount of data already built into the app. I love the recent additions of paleomaps, the ability to click through to linked literature in professional journals, and the interaction with other rock nerds!
I look forward to whatever is coming next, but at the moment this app is top-notch and I struggle to recommend any new features or fixes.
This lets amateur geologists have fun
I moved to an area whose geological history helped create earth and life as we now know it. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring and became a real amateur geologist. This app is perfect. First, it has convenient, high quality geological maps. I’ve tried other solutions, which are usually overlays in google earth or a hiking app. They’re pretty inconvenient and they don’t give you the detailed information Rockd does about different stratigraphic units and lithologies. The paleo maps are fun and help make sense of the landforms as you explore. The minerals reference is fun, especially because Rockd actually gives you the mineralogy of igneous rocks in the area.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Shared Apps
- 124.5 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © UW Board of Regents, 2022