“Dictionaries” is an electronic dictionary viewer app made to allow you to efficiently use various dictionaries. As with the popular iOS app, you can search multiple dictionaries at once.
You can purchase and use a variety of dictionaries, including English, Japanese, French or other language dictionaries, from the “Dictionary Store” which can be accessed from within the app. Purchased dictionaries can be used on both iOS and macOS with the Universal Purchase. You can also share your dictionaries with your family through Family Sharing.
• Batch Search (Consolidated Search) allows searching multiple dictionaries at once.
• The display order of dictionaries used in the batch search can be customized.
• Using Pattern Search, you can search for words even if a part of the spelling is unknown.
Trace and Jump
• You can easily jump to not only other words in the same dictionary but other dictionaries as well simply by ⌘ + dragging words in a definition, allowing you to go on a journey of intellectual curiosity through the dictionary as their hearts desire.
• Purchased dictionaries are shown as icons on the Collection screen.
• By opening a dictionary from the Collection screen, you can also carefully go through a single dictionary. Even in this case, you can use the “Trace and Jump” function to easily jump to another dictionary.
• The display order of dictionary icons on the Collection screen can be changed to the user's preference.
• You can bookmark their favorite words. In addition, you can also efficiently categorize these bookmarks using the Bookmark Folder.
• By turning on Quick Bookmark, you can quickly add/remove bookmarks simply by tapping the Bookmark icon.
• In History, display frequency is automatically recorded so that you can immediately recognize words they search for repeatedly.
• You can synchronize Bookmark and History data among all devices by turning on iCloud.
Dark Background Colors
• Automatically Switch to a dark background color according to the dark mode in macOS. Dark background colors improve concentration abilities.
Multiple windows and tabs
• You can open multiple windows or tabs. You can view multiple dictionaries at the same time to search and compare explanations.
• The Dictionary Store carries a large number of full-scale dictionaries, and we plan to further improve this selection in the future as well.
• The following English dictionaries are available as of July 2021. Check in the Dictionary Store, which can be accessed from within the app, for more information on each of these items.
- Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 10th edition (OALD)
- Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English
- Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus
- Oxford Collocations Dictionary
- Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 9th edition
- Collins COBUILD Advanced American English Dictionary 2nd edition
- Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary of English, English/Japanese
- Collins English Dictionary with Thesaurus
• Fixed a bug that prevented searching from the title button in “KANJI IN CONTEXT”.
• Fixed a problem in which the search results may not be displayed in KANJI dictionaries.
Ratings and Reviews
Great for Japanese, but Missing a Crucial Feature
First off, I love that this app combines multiple dictionaries in one.
For me this is useful because I first look in the 三省堂 dictionary since it is a bit easier to understand and has shorter definitions. However I often have to look in a more complete dictionary like 大辞林 for more complicated things. This app lets me do that with a single search!
One feature that I feel is crucial, but this app is lacking, is the option to export your bookmarks. This could help users e.g. to make digital flash cards from bookmarked entries.
Monokakido’s app spoils me. It’s perfect. It’s beautiful, easy to use, and full of pleasant surprises. I’ve purchased many dictionaries from them and have never regretted any. Compared to quality printed dictionaries, they are very affordable and there is simply no downside to buying digital. Only upside - it’s with you on all devices, you can look at your history to learn better, and the pattern based search makes finding things far easier than paper.
And Monokakido doesn’t stand still. New dictionaries are released often. Just as one example, I looked today to see that my favorite grammar dictionary was just added and is on sale. It’s almost as if the company is reading my mind.
I hope Monokakido considers publishing more of the world’s dictionaries over time. Their style, attention to detail, and love for dictionaries make this app a true gem.
INDISPENSABLE tool for a lifelong Japanese learner and translator!
Things I love:
-Clean design, very easy to use and lots of visibility and other settings (font size, search order)
-AMAZING content (everything from learners dictionaries to big expensive unabridged dictionaries like Reader's, Random House, and Kenkyusha, and the Robert French-Japanese dictionaries). This has replaced my trusty old Casio Electronic Dictionary.
-One purchase is shareable between all devices-- I use this app and its contents on my iphone, ipad, and Mac, syncing seamlessly.
-Great support: whenever I have had any issues, I get polite and helpful replies from the Japanese staff.
Things that could get better:
-Just keep adding content. The Kanjigen kanji dictionary, and the Kenkyusha Shin Ei-Wa Daijiten are two that I would be very excited about.
-To people who aren't used to spending money on a dictionary, relying on free dictionary databases, or the internet, I would just say that I've found the quality of definitions and examples to always be worth the price in the long run!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MONOKAKIDO Co. Ltd.
- 35.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 MONOKAKIDO Co. Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- DAIJIRIN $0.00
- WISDOM English-Japanese 2 $0.00
- Nihongo Bunkei Ziten: English $19.99
- WISDOM English-Japanese $0.00
- COBUILD American 2nd edition $0.00
- 柯林斯 COBUILD 高级英汉双解词典 $0.00
- COBUILD Advanced 9th edition $0.00
- WISDOM English-Japanese 3 $31.99
- NHK Japanese Pronunciation $43.99
- KANJI IN CONTEXT $23.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.