** Featured on MacStories, 9to5Mac, MacMagazine & more! **
Find out more about the albums, artists and songs on your local music library, Apple Music or Spotify.
Have you ever wondered who is behind the music you're listening to right now? Who are the writers, producers, and everyone who has credits for it? Or which samples have been used in this song, and which songs have used it as a sample? And what is the story behind it, interesting tidbits and facts?
MusicSmart is the answer to all those questions! It integrates with your music library*, so you can get in-depth information about the songs and artists you listen to. Powered by knowledge from different sources, MusicSmart can aggregate** and show the following details about an album:
- Album cover in high-resolution (3000x3000)
- Release date and the list of genres
- Wether it is an Apple Digital Masters or not
- Record label and copyright info
- Editorial notes from the Apple Music team
- Links to reviews of the album on Metacritic, Pitchfork and AllMusic
And for each song, you'll be able to get information such as:
- Notes with the meaning, trivia and interesting facts
- The list of credits containing who was responsible for each aspect of the track, such as:
- Video directors and more
- And for each of them, you can see details such as:
- List of popular tracks they worked on
- List of movies and TV shows they appeared
- Social media profiles
- Which songs it uses as a sample
- Which songs have used this song as a sample
- Music videos
- Live performances
- Related podcast episodes
- And more
And for each artist:
- List of popular songs
- List of movies and TV shows they appeared on
- Links to social media profiles
You can also use the Action Extension integrated with the Music app to get these details without having to leave the app***.
* MusicSmart supports your local music library, Apple Music or Spotify account. As long as your music library is accessible via the Music app, you can use it, no Apple Music or Spotify subscription required.
** The amount of information available for each album and song depends on the data sources used by MusicSmart. Certain musical genres such as Jazz and Classical may not have many details available.
*** The Action Extension only works with albums and songs from Apple Music at the moment. But you can use the main app to get the same details about your local, non-Apple Music albums, and Spotify albums as well.
- This update makes it possible to navigate into a related song! So you can get liner notes for samples, interpolation and remixes of a specific song.
- Now you can also open a song in Apple Music, right from the main app. Use it to listen and discover new related songs and more!
Ratings and Reviews
A delightful resource!
Think less of MusicSmart as a standalone application, and more of an extension to Apple Music. If you start with the MusicSmart app, you’ll find the experience frustrating, as the UI and UX is pretty barebones. If you use the MusicSmart extension as you navigate through Apple Music, you’ll appreciate that you have that additional context at your fingertips. It’s a great first start, and well worth the $2, in my opinion. The information is much more robust with more recent music than older, but you can’t blame Marcos for that given he’s just pulling from 3rd party sources.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for this review! Yes, the app was built with the action extension in mind, so it works better this way. But I'm working on some improvements to make the experience of using the main app more enjoyable!
I really appreciate the developer for creating this app, which addresses a glaring hole left by Apple Music. How Apple could create their extensive product catalog and simply omit all information about a given album and artist is beyond belief. For me, we should be able to find out songwriter, album/track musicians and liner notes. I am an older music lover know and that that information was listed on album covers of the time, so I guess the problem is that the information was never transcribed to a database. Again I appreciate the effort and will continue using the app, hoping some happy day to see updates.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for this review!
Incredibly helpful and useful
No database that seeks to provide information on tracks, liner notes etc. is going to be complete because the universe of albums being dealt with is so fast. However I have found this app to be really useful in so many cases. I used to have a very large CD collection which I ripped to a CD jukebox. That’s great in terms of storage and convenience, but no liner note type information was included in the files that got ripped. So I actually use this app in conjunction with the jukebox. Just a great resource.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Marcos Antonio Tanaka
- 10.9 MB
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Marcos Tanaka
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.