"Best music app tool I own, period!"
"Never downloaded an app so fast in my life"
"Excellent app for music theory. It is brilliantly supported by the developer who is continually updating it... The app is indispensable for the reference and learning of music theory."
Tonality is the ultimate chord, scale, and general music reference tool for musicians of all skill levels. It allows you to explore a large database of chords and scales and comes with tons of MIDI/AUv3 functionality, including chord pads for composition and performance.
NOTE: Tonality will always be a one-time purchase with free upgrades. All IAPs are for tips only.
• Chord dictionary with over 1,000 chords for piano and guitar
• Listen to a chord by tapping, or arpeggiate by swiping
• Reverse search for chords using piano or fretboard
• Identify chords from the microphone using a cutting-edge ML algorithm
• Search for chords by root, quality, and/or extension
• View different inversions and omittable notes
• View related scales
GUITAR CHORD CHARTS:
• View charts for any chord
• Supports multiple tunings and instruments (including custom tunings)
• Generate voicings by criteria including fret range, number of fingers used, and finger stretch
• Left-handed option
• Scale dictionary with over 1,000 scales
• Search for scales by root and name, and filter by various tags
• Reverse search for scales using piano or fretboard
• View scale degrees and note names
• View ascending and descending versions
• View all modes and scale chords
CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:
• Interactive circle of fifths: view key signatures and scales for major and minor keys
• Focus on diatonic chords in a given key and view Roman numeral analysis
• Learn to recognize notes, melodies, intervals, chords, and scales by ear!
• After each session, view what gave you trouble and create a level with just those items
• View detailed statistics about each training session and your training history
MUSICAL TERMS DICTIONARY:
• View musical terms and their definitions/illustrations
• Tempo, symbol, articulation, dynamics, and more
MUSICAL TYPING KEYBOARD:
• Special keyboard for typing and previewing chord symbols
• Works wherever iOS keyboard does - enable it from Settings->General->Keyboard->Keyboards->Add New Keyboard...
---- Includes 4 AUv3 MIDI Plugins! ----
• View the names of the piano chords/scales you play in real time
• Record identified chords and export as text/MIDI
• Add chords via list, scale chords, fretboard, name, or MIDI input
• Drag and drop to and from other apps or plugin instances
• Full voicing control: edit individual notes' octaves and velocities
• Grid sizes from 2x2 to 12x12
• Strum bar for performing arpeggios or individual notes
• MIDI trigger mappable with MIDI learn capability
• Automation parameters for footpedal control
• CC mapping on XY axes
• Multiple velocity sensitivity modes
• Custom presets can be saved and shared across hosts
• Patchstorage integration for community sharing
• Export pad sets as MIDI/XML files
• Import Scaler chord packs (XML)
• View MIDI input in a grand staff in real time
• Detects chord names
CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:
• Control other apps with a circle-of-fifths layout
• Modify inversion, octave, extensions, and bass notes on the fly
• Auto-voice lead option
• Create your own chords, scales, fingerings, ear training levels, and definitions
• Show set theory information for any pitch class set, including Forte numbers, pitch constellations, and Tonnetze
• Choose the playback instrument (load any .sf2 file)
• Choose note naming (English or Solfège)
+ Fixed scale playback in the identification audio unit
Ratings and Reviews
Prior version deeper than I could handle, NOW it’s at my level
Wanted to update my review. Previously, as a Garageband user, I didn’t feel I could get a lot out of the app. I appreciated it for what it could do, it just couldn’t do much for me. Now, I feel like I have access to an infinite midi pack. :) While the learning curve is still a little over my head, being able to hear audio from the app via Soundfonts is a game changer for me and the midi export means I can create a progression using chords that SOUND like I want and bring those into Garageband. I’m probably not making full use of the app as I don’t use AUM and I don’t perform, but I just created my first beat in Garageband using chords from the app and I’m happy! UPDATE: I used Chord ID on a tune I’d tried in other tools (Stir & Mix, Scratchin’ Melodii). Other tools couldn’t quite result in a collection of notes that sounded like what I was hearing (especially on 5 and 6 of the progression). Chord ID actually captured some critical discordant notes which finally matched the sound I hear. I know this may not be the expected use case for this tool, but I look forward to trying it on other tunes other apps couldn’t handle :)
Developer Response ,
Awesome! If you ever have questions or suggestions I’m more than happy to help. My email and other contact info are on the settings page.
I’m glad the chord ID is working well for you! That’s a cool use case.
Fits Perfectly into my workflow
This app fits perfectly into a few of my workflows. Keep it open on my phone next to the keyboard when I’m writing songs; the chord ID is so useful! I’m a guitar player but have been enjoying trying to write on piano. Often will accidentally stumble on a few keys that sound nice together and now I can get the name of the chord and if it’s 7th, sus, add 4...etc along with variation or inversions and a very straightforward diagram showing the combination of keys to play for each. It’s already helped so many times.
And all has been a bonus, something I didn’t even know I needed.
The main features I bought it for were chord pads I can customize and use in AUM and all the music theory info is right there so I can learn what I’m doing and experiment without stopping the jam. Lots more but I’m still learning what this app can do. The Developer seems to keep adding features to make MIDI setup smooth which shows me he’s got his finger on the pulse and this will be an app that continues to be excellent!
Developer Response ,
Glad you’re enjoying the other features as well. Stay tuned for more chord pad updates!
Next Level Creative SongWriting Tool
This app does it all! It’s worth more than it cost. The developer listens to advice and ideas and executes them to continue improving this wonderful tool. I use it in BeatMaker 3, Cubasis 3, AUM, and on my phone to write chord ideas and store them. Don’t no how to play…no problem….it’s super intuitive workflow is easy to get use too. I start ideas on this app and then use it to lay-down chords. The chord pad feature is spectacular. You can custom the colors and the editing of chords is a breeze. From standard to inverted it can do them all. Save custom chords too. Want to know what chord your playing? It can detect that. Need help with Circle of Fifths? Gotcha! Unbelievable!!!!!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bryce Hostetler
- 115.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Bryce Hostetler
- In-App Purchases
- Small Tip $0.99
- Large Tip $5.99
- Medium Tip $2.99