Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 15 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
***Bug fixes in 9.0.5***
• Fixed an issue where some notes would hang on load
• Improved scrolling while moving images and ink
***Bug fixes in 9.0.4***
• Fixed a problem recognizing handwritten text in some languages
• Added a warning when linking Notability to an unsecured WebDAV server
• Fixed an issue importing Google Drive documents
• Fixed a problem where ink could disappear unless content is scrolled
***Bug fixes in 9.0.2***
• Improved support for local WebDAV servers
• Deleting pages is now faster
• Improved performance for notes with a lot of images and handwriting.
• Images now can be resized to the full page width
• Browsing files from cloud services is now more reliable
• Fixed an issue involving ink duplication after image movement
• Fixed a problem with images outside of the canvas corrupting notes
• Fixed a crash in left-handed mode editing captions
• Added auto-scroll when moving media upward in left-handed mode
• Other miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
***What’s new in Notability 9.0***
This is an exciting update for Notability! We’ve added powerful new features: Shapes, Partial Eraser, and improved image control.
• Draw a shape, hold the stroke for a moment, then watch as it snaps perfectly into place!
• Shapes can be styled and manipulated like regular handwriting.
• Create circles, ellipses, triangles, squares, rectangles, hexagons, and irregular shapes.
• Precisely erase any ink in a variety of eraser sizes, including shapes!
• Partial erase supports both freehand erasing and perfect shape erasing.
• Once a stroke is separated, it behaves exactly like regular handwriting.
• Rotate and crop images easily with a new, streamlined interface.
• New Dot Paper in four sizes.
Ratings and Reviews
Okay, so as a high school student, I use this app for school. It's a requirement and nobody really uses anything else because we can't find anything else as good as this. I love the fact that you have a zoom box that you can write on that that transfers your writing to where you put this zoom box (and as someone who writes small and can't stand their handwriting big, this is a necessity), and that you can cut and paste things really easily (a function that I use all the time). I have started to love to take notes now because it's so easy. The only thing I wish was added to this app is to have more colors! I hate the fact that I'm confined to only so many colors and they get quite repetitive after 3 years! Other than that, this app is perfect. I'll admit that last year I started looking for an app that had the same functions as this one but with more colors and I never could find anything. So two thumbs up 👏 👍
Update: So like I said, I use this app for school and it being my senior year, my work load has increased. There is one more thing I wish would be added to this app. On paper you can refer two pages together without much trouble. On notability, one thing that aggravates me is when I have an assignment to do, and I can use my notes, I have to flip back and forth, back and forth to my notes and the assignments. It’s time wasted and annoying, if something could be added so that I can have 2 notes side by side together that would make my life so much easier.
More Stable than Goodnotes 5
I've been using Notability to take handwritten notes for a few months now, but I decided to give Goodnotes 5 a try, because it had other features that Notability was lacking: 1) clear page separation (which is helpful for printing), 2) horizontal scrolling, 3) better file organization, 4) better highlighter, 5) option between partial and full-streak eraser, and 6) better shapes. I ultimately went back to using Notability despite all these features, because 1) Goodnotes required you to do a pull gesture (which was highly inconvenient) to flip to a new page, in comparison to Notability's infinity scroll which would automatically start a new page for you, 2) no audio recording (I'm a student so this is essential for lectures), 3) noticeable handwriting lag on notes that are over 50+ pages, and 4) no multi-note split view. Overall, I feel like Goodnotes gives you a more skeuomorphic real notebook feel, with the way that it organizes your notes into a notebook, simulates how you would flip pages, and gives you the freedom to separate them into folders. And, this might be something to consider if you will be using them to study. However, the handwriting lag is a dealbreaker for me, and I definitely will have no notes to study because the lag is so irritating, despite all of the useful features. Thus, I highly recommend Notability because of its stability and simplicity to use.
Easy to use
I’m using notability post nursing school to help me study for my NCLEX. I also just got an iPad recently too. I wanted to make my studying easy and accessible anywhere. Whether on the bus or waiting for someone. Notability is very simple to use so if you are like me and like something that is basic and simple then this is the app ! I read some negative comments but got it anyways and I’m glad I did. I am able to put some study books on the app as well as other pdf books. It’s easy to pass notes via airdrop from my other devices and share documents on my iPhone etc if I want my iPad notes on there. If I don’t- it’s like a clean slate on my iPhone notability. I can have 2 different sets of notes basically if I want more business or personal related goal notes on my phone rather than all my iPad notes.
So if you are in school- this is very simple, easy, and legit way to use notes. I even have a digital planner on it too which is amazing. I feel more inspired to be creative and do my goals for the day. If you have a keyboard you can type your notes Incase you don’t want to write but I love to highlight, mark notes, and bookmark certain pages to make it easier to find. I do use the split screen option at times but depends on your study preferences. I like to read first, study, then create a note and hand write my notes to make sure I got the info down.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 241.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Bubblegum Pack $3.99
- Spring $1.99
- Summer $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.