The BBC News brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
Personalise your news offering with My News
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
You can also switch the My News by Topic screen to a more traditional carousel view from the Settings screen.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
Apple Watch Support:
Story summaries, glanceable headlines and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your wrist
- Push notifications for important news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. The app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by Urban Airship on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from BBC News in your device’s ‘Notifications’ screen.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed.
This release includes a fix to allow videos to rotate when being played.
We have also included background changes in preparation for some performance improvements and the latest operating system update.
Ratings and Reviews
Best News App and network
In the past year American news has become so focused on Donald Trump and celebrities that I just straight up gave up watching any news. Im so thankful I finally found this app to stay informed on news from all over the world. Of course a little Trump gets in but that's the world we live in. You can customize what areas of the world you want to see news from so you can stay informed on Africa, the middle East and Latin America. I also don't feel like there are hidden political opinions behind the stories. This is the first review I've ever actually taken the time to write I usually just hit ignore when it asks me to.
If only I could SEE it...
Fine, balanced reporting: check. Clear, grammatical, properly spelled & punctuated prose: check. (Getting hard to find in Leftpondia. Bless the Beeb.) Easy navigation: check. Customizable topics focus: check.
Readable font: not so much. I don't know what the font is called, but it makes me squint. It looks very stylish and modern; 20 years ago I might have loved it. But the sans serif font is so fine-lined as to appear pale gray on the white background, a low-contrast combination that strains the eye. I searched in vain for controls to adjust the display. I followed the app support link, but was directed to use my iPad’s controls. Well, really. I already did that and I’m still having trouble. Besides, iPad’s “smart invert” option screws up photos.
Ironically, when I read about a playground for kids with disabilities, the text display was in a nice bold white font on black ground—very high contrast and so easy to read! Now why not let me choose that all the time?
In a perfect world, I would also get to choose specific fonts (Bookerly, anyone?), foregrounds, and backgrounds. (I am fond of yellow on navy blue, but your mileage may vary.) Someday....
So, developers, you lose two whole stars for making it hard for me to use your otherwise five-star app.
This app focuses mostly on the distressing news throughout the world. It repeats it ad nauseum. There is so much news out there, it would be good for this app to broaden its horizons. It gives a bit of news from the most "noisy" places (repeatedly), but fails miserably in wider coverage. If it's not bad news, this app doesn't cover it. Except of course for the little Royals. Now that's cute. The main problem that I have with it is that if you want to read one of the stories and you happen to be way down in the column on the story, when you finish reading it and go back to the column it puts you all the way back up to the top of the column instead of where you were. That is extremely frustrating have to go all the way back down to the bottom of the column where you were!!!
- BBC Worldwide LTD
- 98.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2019 BBC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.