Online turn-based pencil and paper war-gaming without any flying pencils or arguments as to whether a shot hit or not!
Lead Wars is a turn-based strategy game requiring smart thinking and physical skill. It simulates the real life paper war games played in the days before portable gaming devices which needed only a pencil, some paper and lots of imagination!
• Charted #1 Strategy Game in 60 countries!
Control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units by taking turns to flick a pencil around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent.
• "The execution is what makes Lead Wars shine. Startlingly unique, a fabulous little game." 4.5/5 - MacReview.com
• "Surprisingly deep … from a strategic perspective, Lead Wars is a beautiful achievement” 4/5 - iOS Game Of The Day, GamePro.com
• "Some battle are easily solved puzzles, while other start to feel more like chess games." 4/5 - PadGadget Recommended! PadGadget.com
• "You'll definitely love this game." 4/5 - TouchReviews.net
• If you're looking for a great game to play with friends, we suggest grabbing this one … it really shines on the iPad” - Amber Neely, MacNN.com
• “A brilliantly implemented game" - iPhone-Experience.com
• iTunes review - djflippy: "Lead Wars has a rare quality; the simulation is actually better than that which it simulates." 5/5
Note this is not your typical path-drawing game - this is a simulation of the real life game played with a real pencil.
The flick mechanic works just like it does in real life (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto some paper, holding it by the top with just one finger. While pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil - beyond a critical angle the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield.
Lead Wars simulates this mechanic using the touch-screen as if you're touching the top of a real pencil. See videos of the real life game and Lead Wars in action:
• Online Multiplayer - battle asynchronously or live real-time
• 2-player tabletop / pass 'n' play
• Single-player vs-CPU
• Single-player Campaign - rise up through the Army ranks
• Map Creator - create your own battlefields
• Instant Replays - replay all moves and shots in latest turn
• 27 Game Center Achievements
• Game Center Leaderboards
• Training missions and 250+ Campaign missions
• Visual 'MoveAid' system and tips for beginners
• 16 built-in battlefields, store up to 75 custom maps
• Have up to 25 local games on the go at once
• Have up to 30 Asynchronous online games on the go
• Highly configurable Game Setup
• Choice of 4 paper styles + 3 pencil leads
• Doodle graphics and verbal sounds - just like the real game!
• Universal app supporting Retina Display
• Share maps via the system Clipboard
• Game Center turn alert push notifications*
• Auto-rotating interface - play in any orientation
• Allows iPod music in the background
* Turn alert sounds and settings can be controlled in Settings | Notifications | Game Center
The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you're not having to rub out your previous moves, there's no arguments whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical dexterity required to make your move makes the game challenging but ultimately more fun and rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!
• Fixed game speed for devices running at 120Hz
• Added game assets for devices with 3x Retina screens
• Other updates to support all the latest devices
Ratings and Reviews
Sweet Game! One thing I think could make map creator better tho.
I love this game so much! Me and my friend would play this irl all the time but you can’t carry a big enough piece of paper wherever you go. That’s why I especially love the pass n’ play feature. You just need one phone! However, we always have some new ideas for maps, but the map creator is kind of hard to use. I have an idea that might make it easier. I think that the buttons at the top that change the type of sprite should be removed altogether. I think that pressing the sprite button should select whatever type is default, then tap it again to open a list of the types of sprites. Then when you select the desired type, you can then place and maneuver as desired.
So, tap once to select sprite, then tap again to open the list of sprite types. It would also be nice if it were that way for units as well, just for simplicity’s sake.
Controls are actually pretty good
Okay, a lot of reviews complain about the controls. And yes, the controls are hard. And they're hard for the AI, too. I have seen the AI drive tanks into rivers and flub what should have been easy shots. The thing here is, if you ever actually played the paper version of this game, yes, it really is sort of hard to control a skittering pencil. That's what the game is trying to simulate. And it absolutely is sort of hard to control, but that turns out to be fun once you get a bit better at it.
I think there's some quirks (collision detection seems to have a consistent bias in one direction, but it's paper-direction, neither for nor against the human player), but overall this is really nicely done and has a lot of fun and depth.
Reminds me of my childhood
Great game all around. Simple and challenging at the same time. If you played as a kid, you'll love this game. No more erasing and re-drawing, no more arguing if it was actually a "hit" or not.
The only thing I can say bad about it, is that it is sometimes inconsistent about whether or not your tanks are destroyed due to moving over water. Sometimes it only takes a sliver and boom, other times you can get away with half your tank riding in the water!
Other than that small complaint, this game is a steal for 99 cents!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 23.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2022 DemonStudios Ltd
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.