PocketBible Bible Study App 4+
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
PocketBible enhances your walk with God by putting resources and features at your disposal to improve your understanding of Scripture, empower your teaching and ministry, and keep you in the Word every day.
PocketBible couldn't be simpler to use! Go anywhere in the Bible by selecting book, chapter, and verse. Split the screen to view Bibles and commentaries side-by-side. Select the "Today" button to read today's devotional or Bible reading plan.
When you install PocketBible, you'll have instant access to the KJV Bible. Upon registration, you'll get access to over 40 other free Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, devotionals, and more. Hundreds of additional Bibles and contemporary reference books available via in-app purchase. Bibles and reference books reside on your device. No Internet connection is required once they've been downloaded.
Are you already a PocketBible user? PocketBible for iOS can access any of your previously purchased books and Bibles. And the notes, highlights, or bookmarks you've created on another platform will sync seamlessly to PocketBible on your iOS device!
● Easy book, chapter, and verse selection. Show books of the Bible in alphabetical order if that makes them easier for you to find.
● Quickly find any word or phrase in your entire library.
● Choose from several through-the-Bible reading plans and daily devotionals. Track your progress as you read each day.
● Keep track of what you learn with highlights, notes and bookmarks; sync to the Laridian Cloud for sharing with PocketBible on all your other devices.
● Study the Bible anywhere. No Internet access required after download.
EXPAND YOUR LIBRARY:
Choose from hundreds of popular Bibles and Bible reference titles including NIV, ESV, Spanish Bibles, Catholic Bibles, Study Bible notes, Greek and interlinear Bibles, plus dozens of commentaries, dictionaries, and other reference books.
● Split the screen to open multiple Bibles and/or reference books side-by-side.
● Supports "interlinear" and parsed Greek Bibles (sold separately)
● Supports multitasking (split view) on iPad - open another app beside PocketBible.
● Copy and paste verses to clipboard and to other apps.
● Choose from a variety of color schemes, fonts, text sizes, and margin settings to create a custom reading experience.
● Extensive built-in help.
IN-APP UPGRADE TO ADVANCED FEATURES:
▹ Let PocketBible read to you! Synthesized voice reads the text even while the display is off, or turn on autoscrolling and follow along as it reads.
▹ Full-screen Reading Mode clears the screen of buttons and controls so you can use the full screen for text.
▹ Journal feature lets you create named notes not attached to a Bible verse.
▹ Name your highlight colors to remind you what a particular color means.
▹ Unique "Autostudy" reports give you instant access to everything in your library related to a selected verse, word, or today's devotional reading.
▹ Display book panes "tiled" or as tabs.
▹ Additional color schemes, ability to hide verse numbers, disable sleep-on-idle, print directly from your device, and more.
- Deleting saved layouts (Advanced Feature Set) could cause the app to crash.
- If the user deleted the Users Guide then tried to view it, an error message was generated. It is now re-installed automatically.
- Reordering controls were erroneously being shown for the Device Library list.
- Reordering controls throughout the app lacked the contrast to be seen in dark mode when a light color scheme was chosen.
Ratings and Reviews
This is why I’m a loyal user of PocketBible
I have used various versions of this app since the Palm Pilot days of the 1990s. I have had continual access to the NIV bible translation that I bought then through all of the different platforms and upgrades, along with dozens of other translations and commentaries. This is a tool that I have used weekly, usually daily, for about 20 years. I can’t say that about too many other apps.
The original developer is still leading the charge. He is creative, innovative, and knows his stuff. He thinks carefully about how people use the software, and is regularly making helpful improvements that accelerate our study of the Word.
One of my favorite features of PocketBible is the personal notes, bookmarks and highlights. Notes that I added to a verse while in seminary in the 1990s are still there today, helping me to see how God has continually been working in my life.
Now I have literally 5000 of these personal notations that give this app the feel of my very own well-worn print Bible with lots of underlining, highlighting and notes scribbled in the margins. Plus, it’s all always available on all my devices! With this latest update, I can easily (and quickly) search through these notes (e.g. search “barnacles” to find that C.H. Sturgeon illustration I added many years ago).
This is why I’m a loyal user of PocketBible.
Developer Response ,
We love you too, Gary. :-) Thanks for sticking with us for so many years.
The Best Bible app!
I have been using this program since I had my PalmPilot back in the 90s. I’ve tried some of the other apps however I have not found them to be as useful and versatile as this program.
I love the ability to bookmark and highlight verses, add notes to verses, and autostudy verses.
One of the most useful features is the ability to sync my Bible to my devotional reading plan and my commentaries. This causes the commentaries to follow along with me and match whatever portion of the Bible I happen to be reading at the time. Then, there’s the tabbed panes, which allowed me to have many books open at the same time.
Some of these features are available in the Advanced Feature set which is a very minimal cost. However the basic program comes with many free books, and many of my friends have started using it as well. It seems anytime I use it in a class people start asking me which program I’m using.
Also, this developer has a buy once/own it policy. Once you buy a book or devotional through this app you own it. The books I bought when I was using a palm pilot 17 years ago........I still own! I was able to download them free when I upgraded to my iPhone and then my iPad several years later.
By far the best Bible app.
Still the best mobile option, even over 20 years later!
I have been using PocketBible since (I believe) the first version. I had a new PalmPilot and the first thing I did was look for Bible software. Once I found Laridian I was hooked, and have been a loyal fan since!
Over the years, and over many types of devices, PocketBible is always my go-to software when starting a study or even doing some reading. Even now that the desktop heavy hitters have made mobile apps, and I can now access the desktop libraries I’ve invested so much in over the years, I still go to PocketBible first.
There is also a free desktop app for Windows, which also works great with Wine on Linux with minimal tweaking. Keep in mind, this is a very basic app and a bit dated, but it means you still can access the resources you purchased for mobile on your PC as well.
I would love for a more modern desktop app with a little more functionality, and perhaps a wider range of resources, but I know Craig is working with a very small team and this might be beyond the core focus, but it’s not a complaint, merely a wish. Either way, PocketBible is the best iOS Bible study app you can find and I wholeheartedly recommend it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Laridian, Inc.
- 21.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 by Craig Rairdin. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Advanced Feature Set - 1 Year $9.99
- PocketBible Upgrade to Version 2 Feature Set $5.99
- Advanced Feature Set - 1 Month $0.99
- New International Version (NIV $9.99
- English Standard Version (ESV) $9.99
- Ryan Voice for PocketBible $1.99
- New Living Translation, Second $9.99
- Heather Voice for PocketBible $1.99
- New King James Version (NKJV) $9.99
- The Message (MSG) $9.99