With over five years in the App Store, Notion is a best-selling music notation app for iPad and iPhone. Notion has been featured in various Apple campaigns including the 2014 YourVerse television commercials and has won several awards, most recently a prestigious music industry NAMM TEC Award for Best Smartphone/Tablet App.
Notion is a notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, (any iOS8 compatible device) giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips—and you can sync your music files across multiple devices! With a user-friendly interface and simple interactive piano keyboard, fretboard, and drum pad, and even optional handwriting recognition, Notion makes it easy to get started composing your music. And, with Notion's abundance of advanced functions you can take your most basic ideas to an entirely new level right on your iOS device or share with Notion 6 for Mac or Windows.
You can also hear your music performed with the most realistic playback possible, using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Notion comes bundled with piano and orchestral samples as well as popular instruments such as guitar, bass, and much more. The initial app download contains piano - you can then manage which of the bundled sounds to have on your device, or keep in the cloud, just tap on Sounds. Once you have the sounds, you can create the perfect balance using the full-featured multi-track mixer with effects.
Once you are happy with your creation you can share the Notion file, or MIDI, MusicXML, PDF or audio files. Share files with other apps on your device, or with AirDrop using the Send To.. feature. Print via AirPrint, e-mail from the app, or send the audio directly to your SoundCloud account. You can automatically sync your scores across devices, and with Notion 6 for Windows and Mac, by using iCloud and Dropbox.
- Handwriting in-app purchase for iPad now available
- Enter, edit, and playback notation, tab, or both
- Notion widget available to open a quick score, or recent scores
- Orchestral samples by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- MIDI step-time entry with your favorite MIDI device or MIDI Bluetooth device
- Record real-time MIDI input into your score.
- Audition Mode: Use the on-screen virtual instruments to hear sounds before entering them into your score.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Support for retina display
- Native 64-bit support
- Option to tap in notes with finger or stylus
- Interactive piano keyboard, 24-fret guitar fretboard and drumpad for step, and realtime, entry
- Quick and simple selection palette
- Distortion and reverb effects
- Full audio mixer
- Full range of orchestral functions and articulations including: Staccato, Flutter tongues, Trills, Vibrato, and much more…
- Full range of guitar functions and articulations including: bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on, pull off, mutes, whammy bar techniques, bass slap, harmonics, and more…
- Drag score items such as dynamics
- Switch Instruments
- Insert text
- Rehearsal Marks
- Chord Symbols and Diagrams
- Rhythm Slashes
- Cross staff beaming for grand staff instruments
- Continuous and Page View
- Quick “Undo” and “Redo” functions
- Chord and melody modes
- Easy delete and erase capabilities
- Enter and edit title and composer information
- Save as an audio file
- Import .notion, MIDI, MusicXML, GuitarPro 3-5 files
- Export/email .notion, PDF, MusicXML, .WAV, AAC or MIDI files
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers
- Expand your bundled sound library with in-app purchases
- Help Files
- And much more…
Slur control points - now when a slur is selected, you can drag its control points to adjust the start and end points, its placement, and even the curve itself.
Fix not being able to import files from email or other apps
Fix issue introduced by iOS10.3 that meant the cursor would occasionally jump on note entry
Fix an issue that was occasionally resulting in notes not sounding during note entry until pressing play
Update remaining old font selection dialogs
Fix occasional crash when selecting/resizing text boxes
Fix not being able to drag text boxes
Ratings and Reviews
It’s good, not perfect.
Major Conservatory-trained composer who taught Finale for 20+ years is a convert to Notion. I like the simplicity of it, but wish that the documentation was a bit better and that updates were given a bit more frequently. I do use the handwriting features, but find certain gestures to be enigmatic to the recognition engine. One big suggestion I would give the developers would be to have a handwriting option that lets you notate an entire measure at a time and then click a button or move to the next measure before it’s interpreted. I tend to write all my noteheads first, then the stems, then the beams, then the dots, and the engine starts recognizing what I’m writing too soon. Also - a free-form handwritten staff would be VERY useful for jotting down notes and ideas without it being rendered into anything. Otherwise, it’s a great little tool to have with me wherever I go.
I want this to work so much better
I have used the app for several years, or rather I remember that I have purchased it and then try to use it again every several months. To be honest it boasts some nice features, but every time I go to use it I am frustrated. For example, the other day I had added some text above a line of music. I realized that I would like to bold the font and change the size. The software would for the life of me not select the small A at the right of the text to allow me to format. I had just done the same function on some text several systems higher. I sat for 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get the text moved so I could select the formatting button. No go, I finally deleted the text and started over. I have had the software intermittently refuse to show me use upon holding on an item and other functional hick-ups. What does it equate to? Frustration over very simple things. Want to hide that note? Well, for some reason it won’t give you the menu. Try restarting the app...oh it works! The handwriting tool is awesome, the sounds are great, like I said, I really want to like this app but it is a constant source of frustration for me.
Incredible app, haters go away
I have purchased every upgrade and instrument. I have the handwriting upgrade. It is not perfect, but incredibly useful. I don't understand how people expect perfection because not will never happen. What makes a program incredibly good is not if it is perfect but if it is useful in spite of its imperfections. And as usefulness goes, this programs is almost unsurpassed. I have not found a music writing app that has more usefulness than this one, and I have purchased them all. This program accommodates the different styles of different writers and allows many input methods. None are perfect but they all work very well! This app tried and succeeds better than any other app to STAY OUT OF YOUR WAY, and let you create using the same symbols and notations you would use if writing by hand. If Mozart or Beethoven we're to use an app, this one would be easier to adapt to than any other because all the symbols they are used to are there, and as little as possible is added.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback – happy you are enjoying the app! Any ideas or feature requests you might think of greatly appreciated whilst we work on redeveloping the app - you can post feature and instrument requests here and other users can them vote them up
- Notion Music, Inc.
- 223.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Classical guitar $0.99
- Harp $0.99
- Harpsichord $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.