With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins, and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube and Vimeo at up to 4K resolution
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Fixes a display issue when adding titles to an App Preview movie for iPhone XS Max in landscape orientation
• Provides compatibility and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
DELETED ALL MY VIDEOS
okay so u know how when you edit something on imovie, your video is stored/saved on the app. WELL, one day while editing a video, a window popped up telling me that iMovie can no longer continuing storing my videos. The only option for me to click was ‘ok’ , so after i clicked ok, EVERYTHING was deleted. As if I just downloaded the app. NOTHING was there anymore. I had so many videos that I worked so hard to edit. Poof, ALL GONE. There was no way I could retrieve them. Maybe iMovie, instead of just having the app store my videos, allow me to create an account so that all my works are stored there. That way I can access my videos via the iMovie account on the app rather than just my laptop. Also, if you know how to retrieve deleted iMovie videos, please let me know ASAP because there are a lot of videos that I edited and didn’t export, since exporting takes a LONG time. Overall, if youre considering downloading this app, DO IT. Its free and it works. I edit all sorts of videos on here and its great. Just be aware and expect this app to cause u some stress and frustration. You pay for what you get. This app is free, there will be A LOT of ‘not-so-pleasant’ times when using it, but i gaurantee you, if you know how to edit and use this app well (its easy to work through), it’ll be woooorth it. BUT IM STILL UPSET ABOUT MY VIDEOS. I WANT THEM BACK.
Used to work great before this most recent update.
I can’t get iMovie to do anything correctly anymore since I updated it. They changed things about it that are very annoying. Before, you could just drag whatever videos or photos you wanted straight into the editing section of iMovie off of your desktop, a folder, an external drive, anything. Now you have to drag them into these specific folders inside iMovie (at least you can create your own) and from there you can drag them into the editing section. Why the extra step? Its literally there for no reason. I wish I could just go back to the old version. Thats not the worst of it either. Im trying to do a time lapse edit, and Ive always had this issue with iMovie, why can I not play the clips at less than 0.1 sec each? hours of timelaps photos need to be broken down do a minute or two, not 10. Even worse though, is that it can’t even get the order correct anymore. I drop them all in and they come out in the completely wrong order. Frames are changing back and forth the entire time you watch it. Then it gets worse! How's that even possible? I don't know. It doesn’t even export what you made. Using the 0.1 second frames (the LOWEST choice I had) it came out to something like 2min 25sec or so. I exported it, it took FOREVER, then all of the sudden it was only the first 7 seconds of my film. Seriously. How could you possibly screw up so many features in one update? Just take it back to when it was simple and usable, PLEASE.
It takes some time to get used to
I would like to give this a rating of 3.5 stars, but there’s no way to do that. My first ever video editing was done on the old version of iMovie. I found that version to be intuitive and easy to work with. I was kind of excited with iMovie 10 came along, but when I started trying to work with it, it was so different from the old version that it took me a long time to feel comfortable/confident using it. After working with it for a coupe of years now, I am NEARLY as happy with it as I was the old version. It is still not as intuitive, and seems to take more effort to accomplish what I want to, but in the end I am generally happy with the videos I produce. The sould equalizer leaves something to be desired, and I can’t synthesize multiple clips in the video to have the same sound level, but the videos themselves look good and I can add the special effects I need.
- Apple Inc.
- 2.2 GB
macOS 10.14.6 or later
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.