Kiwix enables you to have the whole of Wikipedia (and many other web sites) available wherever you go! On a boat, in the middle of nowhere, or when data charges are too high, Kiwix gives you access to the whole human knowledge for free. You don't need Internet, everything is stored on your mobile device!
Download the Kiwix program from the iTunes App Store then download the ZIM data files which contain the content. You can download these files directly using the Kiwix App on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - but this might take a long time, may incur expensive charges for the download, and is liable to errors because some files are rather large.
A faster and more reliable method is to use a computer to download the small torrent file for the large non-indexed ZIM file you want (not the pre-indexed package for Windows) from http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Content_in_all_languages, then use a bit-torrent client (such a qTorrent) to download the actual ZIM data file to your computer. You can then transfer the ZIM file to your iOS device using iTunes File Sharing.
- iPad: a new design with all UI controls at the top bar
- Random Article Button: tap to load a random article in the current zim file
- Main Page Button: tap to go to main page of the current article
- Long press on random article or main page button to choose from all on device zim files (not available on iOS 12 & 13)
- Link Preview: tap and hold on a link to see preview of the article (not available on iOS 12)
- UI updates in app settings (not available on iOS 12)
- Remove support for iOS 11 (We are committed to support last three major OS)
- Fix: library related crashings
- Fix: zim file icon transluency
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I always wished for phones to truly be this endless void of knowledge, and this app grants my wish. The ability to download all of Wikipedia for a fraction of a gigabyte is extremely powerful, espically knowing that I won’t have to wait for load times anymore. My only concern is the formatting is a little weird (Using an IPhone X), but overall I love the app.
Super handy, clean and stable
I do quite a bit of international travel, and even with a decent data plan, access to the internet is often not cheap, convenient, or even possible. So I love having a big chunk of Wikipedia and Wiktionary stored offline for those times when I just NEED to know something and Google and online Wikipedia are not available. This does the trick with a clean design and stable performance on my 128 GB iPad.
REGULAR WIKIPEDIA WITH PICTURES IS NOT AVAILABLE
Kiwix is awesome, but I will only give 5 stars once you make it where I can download regular Wikipedia with pictures. I need the version with pictures please. I know that with pictures it’s like 80gb but I NEED IT. Is this a bug? I thought you could download entire Wikipedia with all the text and pictures in here. At least that’s what Wikipedia said you could do.
When I’m at the download place there are only two regular English Wikipedias which both say they lack pictures. I actually can’t tell a difference between the two besides the size. Does one only have lede sections or something?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Wikimedia CH
- 30.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Kiwix 2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.