Mastodon is the largest decentralized social network on the internet. Instead of a single website, it’s a network of millions of users in independent communities that can all interact with one another, seamlessly. No matter what you’re into, you can meet passionate people posting about it on Mastodon!
Join a community and create your profile. Find and and follow fascinating folks and read their posts in an ad-free, chronological timeline. Express yourself with custom emoji, images, GIFs, videos, and audio in 500-character posts. Reply to threads and reblog posts from anyone to share great stuff. Find new accounts to follow and trending hashtags to expand your network.
Mastodon is built with a focus on privacy and safety. Decide whether your posts are shared with your followers, just the people you mention, or the whole world. Content warnings let you hide posts containing sensitive or triggering material until you're ready to engage with them. Each community has its own guidelines and moderators to keep its members safe, and robust blocking and reporting tools help prevent abuse.
• Dark Mode: Read posts in light, dark, or true black mode
• Polls: Ask followers for their opinion and tally the votes
• Explore: Trending hashtags and accounts are a tap away
• Notifications: Get notified about new follows, replies, and reblogs
• Sharing: Post directly to Mastodon from any share sheet in any app
• Cuteness: Our mascot is an adorable elephant, and you'll see them pop up from time to time
Mastodon is a registered nonprofit and development is supported directly by your donations. There’s no advertising, no monetization, and no venture capital, and we plan to keep it that way.
Welcome to another release of Mastodon for iOS. Consider this our special offer: It's free! We've been quite busy in the last couple of days, but we want you to enjoy the latest and greatest bug fixes as soon as possible. This release is the 16. this year, that's why the version number is 2023.16. And it features this:
- We fixed a bug that wouldn't let you logout on iPad. When you tried to logout, well, the app crashed, but only on iPad. Thanks to everyone who reported it (and sorry for the crash)! (GH-1172)
- Speaking of logging out: When you restarted the app right after logging out, well, you were still logged in as we didn't remove the credentials properly. (GH-1181)
- Another credential-related bug: In the 2023.14-release, we added a bug so you couldn't share to Mastodon from another app. It resulted in the very precise error message "No available account". Well, good news everyone: We found your account! And we fixed the bug, so that you can share interesting articles and memes with your friends on Mastodon. Right in time for #Caturday. (GH-1168)
- This is the first contribution of Rizwan and we're very grateful for that: When you double-tap the search tab, it focuses the search bar so that you can start searching right away. Thank you, Rizwan! (GH-748)
- You Hometimeline shouldn't forget your position any longer when you switched tabs. (GH-744)
- We added some performance improvements for "Familiar Followers". (IOS-195)
That's it for now. We hope, that you didn't spend too much on special offers. Although Mastodon is free for you to use, it's not free to develop. That's why we're so grateful for your ongoing support. The less you spend on special offers, the more you can spend on us!
Just kidding, have a lovely time.
Ratings and Reviews
I love this app.
I love this Mastodon for iOS app. It is accessible, very functional with voiceover. However, my main concern, is notifications. Voice the iOS screen, reader, is not announcing those like it’s supposed to whenever someone has posted/tooted some messages with links, whenever I follow somebody, or when the notifications are such anyone, or followers, voiceover is not announcing, even if I’m not within the app or not using it if I’m on a different app. Please explain to me why, this isn’t working for iOS correctly like it’s supposed to? It would be great if that can be fixed, and corrected. If somebody could fix it, that would be great. It would work great for everybody. Also, it would be beneficial to use the default system sounds, so that whenever someone has posted something, I can get a notification/banner and announcement right away when somebody has posted pieces of information on their timeline. so my question for you is, is this possible if that could be fixed? In the next few updates, for iOS 17 going forward? That would be awesome if that would happen, please and thank you.
The Twitter killer!
If you have a Twitter account, you might as well tell your followers you’re moving onto Mastodon. This app is simply amazing, it has an almost “Discord”-esque vibe to how communities are structured and ran. Whilst still following the same overall “platform” guidelines. As an LGBTQ+ person, I’m so happy to have frontline representation within the app by having an entire “LGBT” server search section within the app. This level of inclusion, for MY community is something that even Discord doesn’t have, and I want to thank everyone at Mastodon for including this into the app! Seriously, it means a lot to have one more app (in an honestly small pool of apps) that says “Hey! We accept and support your community. Period, dot”. All-in-all, I very much love the community inclusion.
I also very much like the, well defined UI/UX, and its nice features such as using emoji like, Blobcat. Alongside super fast performance and rock hard stability, Mastodon is a good reason to finally abandon Twitter, and the toxicity, and lack of support or care from management.
When I first got the app, I liked the aesthetics but there was quite a bit missing. I couldn't see those I'm following or my followers. I couldn't use multiple accounts without a hassle. I didn't understand how to write direct messages (this was a misunderstanding on my part) and I couldn't view the federated timeline. Fortunately in 1.2.0, it's now possible to see followers and those you're following. Possibly more importantly, multi account support is now stellar. Using multiple accounts is vital on decentralized platforms and protocols such as ActivityPub, and this gets it right. Maybe the federated timeline will come later, or maybe it'd be difficult to justify given Apple's strict rules, but it's chaotic and spammy enough that I don't mind logging in on a browser for the few times I need it. I love how quickly this project is taking shape. Its UI is simple yet does exactly what I want it to do. And that wouldn't be possible if it weren't a free and open source project!! Props to MainasuK and Gargron :)
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mastodon gGmbH
- 57.8 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Belarusian, Catalan, Central Kurdish, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, Gaelic, Galician, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Kurdish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2023 Mastodon gGmbH