Mastodon for iPhone and iPad 17+
Decentralized social network
Designed for iPad
Mastodon is the largest decentralized social network on the internet. Instead of a single website, it’s a network of millions of users in independent communities that can all interact with one another, seamlessly. No matter what you’re into, you can meet passionate people posting about it on Mastodon!
Join a community and create your profile. Find and and follow fascinating folks and read their posts in an ad-free, chronological timeline. Express yourself with custom emoji, images, GIFs, videos, and audio in 500-character posts. Reply to threads and reblog posts from anyone to share great stuff. Find new accounts to follow and trending hashtags to expand your network.
Mastodon is built with a focus on privacy and safety. Decide whether your posts are shared with your followers, just the people you mention, or the whole world. Content warnings let you hide posts containing sensitive or triggering material until you're ready to engage with them. Each community has its own guidelines and moderators to keep its members safe, and robust blocking and reporting tools help prevent abuse.
• Dark Mode: Read posts in light, dark, or true black mode
• Polls: Ask followers for their opinion and tally the votes
• Explore: Trending hashtags and accounts are a tap away
• Notifications: Get notified about new follows, replies, and reblogs
• Sharing: Post directly to Mastodon from any share sheet in any app
• Cuteness: Our mascot is an adorable elephant, and you'll see them pop up from time to time
Mastodon is a registered nonprofit and development is supported directly by your donations. There’s no advertising, no monetization, and no venture capital, and we plan to keep it that way.
Hello and welcome! Get yourself small beverage of your choice, and some sweets or snacks, as you deserve them, have a seat and enjoy the release notes for Mastodon for iOS.
- Due to the help of many volunteers you can use the app in Greek now. That's Greek to me! (Sorry, I really tried, but I couldn't resist.) Also other languages got better translations, too! Thank you so much to all the people helping with translations, you're awesome! (GH-1038)
- When you change the tab on the notifications-screen, the app remembers your choice and doesn't reset your selection when you restart the app (GH-1048)
- We fixed a bug that the number of your followers and the people you follow didn't update (GH-417)
- Mastodon and the fediverse are more fun with friends and we want to help you have fun. That's why we updated and re-designed the screen, that suggests some accounts that you could follow if you don't follow people, yet. (IOS-157)
- We fixed a crash connected to custom emojis (GH-1042)
Thank you so much for using Mastodon and for taking the time to read these release notes. Have an amazing day :)
Ratings and Reviews
When I first got the app, I liked the aesthetics but there was quite a bit missing. I couldn't see those I'm following or my followers. I couldn't use multiple accounts without a hassle. I didn't understand how to write direct messages (this was a misunderstanding on my part) and I couldn't view the federated timeline. Fortunately in 1.2.0, it's now possible to see followers and those you're following. Possibly more importantly, multi account support is now stellar. Using multiple accounts is vital on decentralized platforms and protocols such as ActivityPub, and this gets it right. Maybe the federated timeline will come later, or maybe it'd be difficult to justify given Apple's strict rules, but it's chaotic and spammy enough that I don't mind logging in on a browser for the few times I need it. I love how quickly this project is taking shape. Its UI is simple yet does exactly what I want it to do. And that wouldn't be possible if it weren't a free and open source project!! Props to MainasuK and Gargron :)
Better Twitter than Twitter (and Musk-free!)
Like over 100,000 other former Twitter users, I joined Mastodon in April 2022 because I didn’t want to be on a social media platform owned and governed by the whims of an unkind billionaire. I did expect it to be sloppy and barren, but my expectations were laid to waste. Mastodon is crafted thoughtfully, with an eye toward building communities of people with similar interests run by people that you’re likely to know. And all of these little communities are connected to one another. Discovering people to follow takes a little more effort, but YOU are in control! YOU get to decide what server to join (or start your own) and each server can have its own rules, decide what other servers it will connect with, etc. freedom of speech is there, but so is a culture of kindness. I’m here to stay! Other Twitter refugees should come here. But remember you’re not sliding into some corporate wasteland site; you’re joining an individual person’s intentional community, so be a good neighbor!
It’s an excellent app
For Mastodon there’s zero complaints. Credit to the app developers. It deserves 5 stars.
The possible bug I mention below does not occur on mastodon, only Pixelfed. If you don’t use Pixelfed then ignore what is said below.
The problem I’m having is with posting text to Pixelfed, which the app supports but there is a bug and I don’t know if it’s with the app or with Pixelfed.
The possible bug is when I add text with the white space between paragraphs. After experimentation, I found the following results:
- Just typing in text on iOS app, Win 10 and Mac OS X causes every new line to occur twice on both the app and web after saving.
- Copy and paste text with CRLF causes every new line to occur twice on both the app and web after saving.
- Copy and paste text with CR causes every new line to occur twice on the app and no new line on the web after saving.
- Copy and paste text with LF causes every new line to occur twice on the app and a single new line on the web after saving.
The results are the same on iOS, Win 10 and Mac OS X.
Thanks for the long feedback and an excellent app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mastodon gGmbH
- 57.8 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Basque, Catalan, Central Kurdish, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, Gaelic, Galician, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Kurdish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2023 Mastodon gGmbH