* SEND A MESSAGE -Skip exchanging phone numbers, just send a message. It's seamless across devices.
* CUT DOWN GLARE WITH DARK MODE. Dark mode is a sleek new look that goes easy on the eyes by switching the background from white to black.
* SHOW YOUR REACTION - Add a silly sticker, send a dancing GIF and use emojis to express yourself better.
* SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS - Capture the moment with the Messenger Camera, add a filter or doodle, then send to friends or share to Stories.
* RALLY THE GROUP - Make plans to get together with polls, share your location, split the bill and more.
* HOP ON A CALL OR VIDEO CHAT - Hang out anywhere, anytime by getting on call or a group video** chat — filters optional :) **Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise standard data charges apply.
* SEND A VOICE MESSAGE - When text just won't cut it, just hit record and send say, sing or shout it out loud.
* SEND MONEY SECURELY AND EASILY (within US, UK and France only) - Send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal* account. *PayPal available in the US only.
* SHARE YOUR LOCATION - Suggest a meeting spot or tell friends where you are by sharing your location with just a few taps.
* CHAT WITH BUSINESSES - Easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals and more.
* PLAY GAMES WITH FRIENDS - Challenge friends, climb leaderboards, and discover your next gaming obsession.
In efforts to make it easier to connect with businesses on Messenger, we are focusing on more contextual ways to connect with businesses, such as the search feature and advertising surfaces. Thanks for using Messenger!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
An anonymity switch
In general terms I am content with messenger. I mainly use it to have individual contact with someone and where I can leave personal information, like phone number, address, and the like. I realize I could use email for that, but it requires leaving the app and going into another part of the computer. (I am not a techy, so I don’t know the right words for things, but I hope you get it.).
The one thing I lack on a daily basis, or wish I had the option to do, is get on messenger without the whole world seeing I am on at that moment. As soon as I open messenger I get messages and while I am grateful for the friends, I would really like to just have time to read my messages and respond without being seen until I am ready. This would be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT on this site! Thanks for taking this under advisement. I’m sure there are others that feel the same way!
New update is less than satisfactory.
This new update removes a lot of features that, personally, I rather appreciated. Such as being able to tell if someone had read your message without having to open the actual conversation, holding down on emojis to make them “blow up” like a ballon, and (from reading some other people’s complaints) the games and even some stickers and the such just stop working and/or showing up. And on top of that this is an app that was originally created simply to allow people to connect by text or call without the need of a phone number, essentially making it easier for families and friends to get in touch and stay in touch for each other. This app was not meant to be, and should never mean to be as it cannot be properly supported, as a business or advertisement application. If you would like to have an app specifically for that purpose, then by all means build an app AROUND that purpose so it will work as intended without any complications or community backlash. Yes you still have the basic fundamentals, but what made people come back to using Messenger and not other messaging apps were the quirks that you have unfortunately taken out of your system. I do hope that you will take everyone’s grievances into consideration and reimplement what was taken out with this update. Thank you for your time reading this review if you ever do.
A couple things need to be fixed
There needs to be a better notification when someone you’re not friends with messages you. Message requests are banished to an unintuitive corner of the screen where they are too easily overlooked. This is a huge problem for networking and connecting with members of your groups.
Lately when I’ve been opening conversation threads on the app, I find the text from the last message I sent duplicated in the composition bubble. The message was sent, but the app copied and kept the text. Just annoying.
When communicating with marketplace buyers, the thread is always labeled with my name first and then the product. This is really confusing, especially when I’ve responded to more than one listing. I open the app and it’s just lines of my name. Makes it hard to distinguish between conversations. Please alter it so that I can see the name of the person I’m talking to- or no name at all, just the item description.
Otherwise, rare glitches and good phone quality. I use this app constantly and it is very reliable, kept up to date, and is worth having.
- Facebook, Inc.
- 277.1 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Facebook, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.