* SEND A MESSAGE -Skip exchanging phone numbers, just send a message. It's seamless across devices.
* CUT DOWN GLARE WITH DARK MODE. Dark mode is a sleek new look that goes easy on the eyes by switching the background from white to black.
* SHOW YOUR REACTION - Add a silly sticker, send a dancing GIF and use emojis to express yourself better.
* SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS - Capture the moment with the Messenger Camera, add a filter or doodle, then send to friends or share to Stories.
* RALLY THE GROUP - Make plans to get together with polls, share your location, split the bill and more.
* HOP ON A CALL OR VIDEO CHAT - Hang out anywhere, anytime by getting on call or a group video** chat — filters optional :) **Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise standard data charges apply.
* SEND A VOICE MESSAGE - When text just won't cut it, just hit record and send say, sing or shout it out loud.
* SEND MONEY SECURELY AND EASILY (within US, UK and France only) - Send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal* account. *PayPal available in the US only.
* SHARE YOUR LOCATION - Suggest a meeting spot or tell friends where you are by sharing your location with just a few taps.
* CHAT WITH BUSINESSES - Easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals and more.
* PLAY GAMES WITH FRIENDS - Challenge friends, climb leaderboards, and discover your next gaming obsession.
We are working on improving the Messenger app experience. During this time, you may experience a more streamlined app, as well as some feature changes along the way.
Thanks for using Messenger!
Ratings and Reviews
Not Horrible but Has Issues
Although I have connected with some amazing people through this app and love the fact that I can connect with people all over the world this app is not a dating app and people need to be respectful of that. I’m not on messenger to hook up with people and receive numerous messages and random calls from people during all times of the day and night. I do understand I can shut my phone off or use my sleep setting on my phone but have had a parent experiencing some health issues and don’t want to shut my phone down as I may need to take a call or message at anytime. The other thing I don’t like is that people know the second I connect to Facebook or messenger and become active on the sight. Sometimes I just jump on to check something out for business purposes and get bombarded with messages. It would be nice to have the ability to get online without the world knowing I’m there.
App Continues to Not Open Due to “[Having] Any Privacy Restrictions” a Few Updates Ago
As happened with the latest Facebook update now, even though I still receive texts from it (for now), am asked to continually update everytime, and have used the app on my devices for years, I’m now told in the App Store that I have to “turn off privacy restrictions” in order to open either app. Messenger disappeared a while ago and now, even the icons for both have disappeared on both of my non-laptop or computer but widely used types of smart devices.
My privacy restrictions are universal for all apps as well as long-standing. Also, while when I click the text message update links and am diverted to the less user-friendly device version on the internet, it continues to ask me to open my Messenger app when I try to see my messages. I used to be a very frequent user of both apps randomly throughout the day, and the site in general for even more years, but it’s been getting a bit cumbersome. It also feels a bit strange that one would have to turn off their privacy restrictions in order to access a certain app, in general.
Make it go back
This new update isn’t just not as aesthetically nice as the previous one, it’s not functionally as good. For one, going back through pictures takes a century whereas it used to be a lot faster. Secondly, the transition between functionalities such as adding a picture and typing is not as smooth as it used to be. You used to be able to just tap on the text box to start typing after sending a picture, now you have to manually switch back, which is annoying as hell. Also, for bigger devices such as iPads, you used to be able to expand the current conversation, and you still can, but the functionality of that feature as been hurt. The text box used to go all the way across the screen so you could see more of what you were typing at once, but it now doesn’t do that anymore. The only update the old version needed in terms of that menu was making the process of adding a gif smoother, none of the rest of this was necessary. I also don’t appreciate the unsolicited notification I got about syncing my contacts. Thanks, but I hate this update.
- Facebook, Inc.
- 280.6 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Facebook, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.