Keyboard Magazine's November 2011 Key Buy Award!
Winner of Electronic Musician's 2011 iPhone/iPod touch/iPad App Editors' Choice Award!
Winner of Billboard Music App Awards 2010 Best Music Creation App!
Winner of Best App Ever 2010 Award for Best Musical iPad App!
MorphWiz from Wizdom Music, created by Jordan Rudess and Kevin Chartier. http://www.morphwiz.com
"MorphWiz, by design, affords incredible expressive subtlety for anyone who explores its endless possibilities. Rock on!!!" Ge Wang, Co-Founder, CTO, and Chief Creative Officer of Smule (creators of Magic Piano)
"Jordan's very capable use of his unique invention- MorphWiz must be a Godsend to his road crew. It's important to note that no Moog synthesizers were harmed in its production."
"It's completely awesome and inspiring to play!
Absolutely loving it!"
MorphWiz is the second app to bear the Jordan Rudess name. MorphWiz is partly inspired by the Haken Continuum Fingerboard, a radically innovative and revolutionary MIDI instrument that Jordan uses on stage and in the studio with Dream Theater.
Like the Continuum, Jordan Rudess' MorphWiz is a vertical grid based musical instrument that allows a whole new level of expressive control!
If you're a beginner, you’ll love experimenting with all of the presets, but if you’re a professional musician, you will soon be blown away by one of the coolest methods of controlling sound that you've ever laid hands on.
Jordan states, “Our goal was to create an instrument that would allow the seamless morphing of the audio and visual domain while delivering a seamless musical experience. I believe the iPhone/iPad multitouch platform opens up a whole new world of creation of electronic musical instruments and we’re proud MorphWiz is our first major offering. My experience and involvement with the Haken Continuum and extraordinary Bebot app brought to life an advanced pitch control system that is still uncharted territory for many in today’s music instrument world. This is the heart of MorphWiz.”
MorphWiz video tutorials:
Over 80 Jordan Rudess-created patches
• Assign audio waveforms as visual shapes to the grid and morph between them with your fingers on the grid or the accelerometer
• Advanced pitch control allows the player to round the pitch of the initial attack of any note. It also recognizes when your finger stops after a slide, and rounds your notes to the nearest diatonic pitch
• Rounding pitch on initial attack and/or after a slide
• Independent control for up to 10 simultaneous notes
• Finger Vibrato Effect (FVE) where you can achieve vibrato even when lock pitch is selected and the pitch is snapping to the grid!
• Velocity Controlled Animation (VCA) in sync with your musical performance
• Trippy full-color, animated particles, fire, and ring effects visually radiate under your fingertips and contain real time pitch information
• Choose from a wide variety of scales and chords to assign to the playing surface with easy customization
• Choose to display names of notes or intervals to help guide you
• Performance controls include octave shift, pitch lock on/off, record to delay buffer on/off, infinity delay setting on/off, and multi-function slider
• Unison detuning effect with separate pan control for that classic analog thickness
• FM (Frequency Modulation) synthesis can be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer
• Wave Sync Synthesis (WSS) can also be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer
• Adjustable note attack and release time
• FX include digital delay, stereo chorus, and tremolo
“Check out Jordan Rudess’s new album with Steve Horelick entitled “interSonic”which features MorphWiz!”
- 64-bit build
- updated for iOS 11.1
- Edge Protection turned on
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Okay, but not particularly special
I'm usually long-winded but just don't have much to say about MorphWiz. It's an older app, and I know that Jordan's apps were pioneering when they first came out. But compared something like ThumbJam or the many synthesizer apps available now, I just didn't find the control scheme or soundbank to be all that inspiring. The best feature is probably the control you have over effects (like the repeat/hold freeze, which is cool). But I'm just not finding as much use for the app as I had hoped.
Great IPhone app for kids and parents
If you want to play a blues that never misses... try this app on "G Man Blues!" You can have three and four-fingered chords, a wild lead guitar, walk down a bass line... and learn the principle of bunching and spreading chord inversions across as many octaves as you want.
The visual animation displays are just entertaining enough to give kids a sense of power - like flying Dr Who's Tardus! But Jordan gives enough different keys and modes - with color codes and note identification- to make this a teaching tool for kids.
I love this app for performance, but you should consider updating the app. I got a message that said the app may slow down my iPad when the app is in use and the last time you updated the app was in 2014 for iOS 8 and we are now on iOS 11.0.1 and would hate to have the app become incompatible with the new iOS.
Developer Response ,
MorphWiz has been updated to support iOS 11.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.