SimplyE makes it easy to browse, borrow, and read any eBook in your library’s collection on your mobile device; no need to download multiple apps.
Set up your account in three easy steps:
1. Open the SimplyE app
2. Find your local library
3. Enter your library card ID to search, borrow, and read!
Don’t have a library card? No problem. Thousands of public domain classics are available as soon as you download the app, no library card required.
SimplyE was created by a partnership of libraries and library consortia across the country, with The New York Public Library currently serving as lead partner. Check with your local library to find out if it offers SimplyE, or download the app now to get started reading from the SimplyE Collection.
- Fixed a crashing bug introduced in 3.2.0
Ratings and Reviews
Problems are fixed, thank you!
Update: all is fixed and I didn’t lose my books or my queue. Thank you!
1. All the books in my queue now goes into “My Books” tab, with a button to download, even though I know that just earlier today (before the update) I still had to wait for weeks for them to be available for me.
2. When I click “Download”, the button switches to “Read”, seemingly showing that the book has been downloaded successfully and now ready to read
3. When I click “Read”, an error message says “Could not display book - This book is corrupt and cannot be read”.
4. Nothing I can do to fix this error message, including quitting the app.
5. There is no option to remove the books from “My Books”. There’s no other button other than “Download”
6. All other new books that were not previously in the queue also get the same treatment as all the points noted below. None of them go to waitlist. All of them shows that it’s ready to read but when you click it, it shows the same “corrupt” message
7. Why is there no option to report the bug with screenshots???
It’s so frustrating! I agree with the review before me that says that every time there’s an update, this app becomes worse!
Great but could be better
This is a great app for avid readers. Here’s how it could be better (I hope the developers are reading): 1. A way to gauge how far you are into a book and how much more is left. 2. Email or text notifications when your book is ready (bummer to wait months for a book, then lose it when you don’t see its available). 3. A way to leave reviews of books. 4. A reading log, that shows you what you’ve read to date. 5. An indicator on the app icon when it’s closed that you have a book available. 6. Some notice of how many days you have to check out a book before you loose it. 7. A history of books you’ve failed to check out, and lost, so you can get back in the queue easily. 8. A list of books you’d like to read, to make it easy to check out new ones when you’re ready. 9. A way to email a link to good books to your friends who use the app. I’m sure there are more, but this would be a great start. That said I do LOVE having a book on my phone at all times, for the low cost of paying my taxes. :) Thanks NY Public Library!
Super convenient with a slight drawback
I absolutely love the convenience this app provides. You have access to NYPL's extensive ebook catalogue. It's as simple as downloading the book you want, or if it's not yet available, simply reserving a book for download when it's ready.
In my experience the only drawback is like others have said in their reviews: if you select text to copy or look up a definition, the highlighted selection box won’t disappear after you’re finished. It’s a bit distracting until you turn the page.
I think that’s fairly minor though and not a deal breaker. The developers have made consistent improvements over the last several months and I love this app now.
- The New York Library Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundations
- 47.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundations
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.