This is OmniOutliner 5: a flexible, svelte, and focused app for creating, collecting, and organizing information and ideas. OmniOutliner Essentials is simple—everything you need to get started. Pro adds powerful features like smart columns, password protection, keyboard shortcuts, and plenty more. Try out both for free!
Use an outline to put structure on new ideas, rearrange them and construct beautiful documents for sharing with built-in themes. But it’s way more than just an outlining tool—you’ve got multiple columns, smart checkboxes, pop-up lists, and a fantastically rich styles system.
Draft a simple to-do list, create an agenda for a meeting, take notes, plan events, write anything from diaries to screenplays, or any other task that calls for structured text.
FREE TRIAL (AVAILABLE VIA IN-APP PURCHASE)
With the free two week trial, you can try all of the features of Essentials and Pro. After the trial, you can continue to use OmniOutliner to view documents for free.
ESSENTIALS EDITION FEATURES (AVAILABLE VIA IN-APP PURCHASE)
• Filters: Use the search field in the toolbar to do a quick keyword filter.
• Document Stats: Row, word, and character count are displayed in the bottom bar.
• Distraction-Free Mode: Automatically hide the toolbar when switching to full screen.
• Side Margins: drag the margin borders to set the width of your outline independent of your display width.
• Cell Highlight: The cell being edited is indicated by a highlight on the left edge to give you more context.
• Touch Bar: Use and customize the Touch Bar for quick access to features.
• Dark Mode: OmniOutliner’s UI adapts to match your document theme.
• Bottom Padding: You’ll no longer be stuck typing at the bottom of the window with the extra padding added below outlines.
• Typewriter Mode: Keep your eye line constant by keeping the active row in the middle of the screen.
• New File Format: OmniOutliner 5 uses a new .ooutline format: a flat (zipped) file that is more compatible with third-party cloud platforms.
• Pro Document Compatibility: Documents with Pro features are fully viewable in Essentials, along with an option to import a copy that removes all Pro content.
PRO FEATURES (AVAILABLE VIA IN-APP PURCHASE)
• Filters: Create and save complex filters based on status, column data, and boolean operations.
• Password Encryption: Add a password to secure your documents (AES-256 encryption).
• Slide-in Sidebars: In full screen, moving the cursor to either edge of the screen makes the sidebars appear temporarily.
• Style Preview: A preview of the style you are inspecting is shown at the top of the inspectors.
• Multiple-Row Focus: Focus on multiple selections by command-clicking them in the section list.
• Resize Column to Fit: Select a column and have OmniOutliner adjust the width with the Resize to fit button in the Column Type Inspector.
• Specify Column Widths: The Column Inspector now has an editable field for the width. Columns can also be set to resize with the window or be set to a specific width.
• Keyboard Shortcuts: Easily customize shortcuts to your own liking.
• Excel Export: Export to xlsx format.
For video tutorials and other information, please visit our website!
If you have any feedback or questions, we'd love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support: you can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152, or on twitter at @omnioutliner.
• Documentation: Minor updates to the manual for additional clarification and recent changes.
• Sorting: The Section List will reflect the outline order when applying a sort condition.
If you have any feedback or questions, we’d love to hear from you! The Omni Group offers free tech support; you can email email@example.com, call 1–800–315–6664 or 1–206–523–4152, or tweet @OmniOutliner.
If OmniOutliner empowers you, we would appreciate an App Store review. Your review will help other people find OmniOutliner and make them more productive too.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is a good update with good features added. Love the word count, but they need to give you a word count for a section or selected text. This was a big miss. Every program with word count features has something like this.
Cannot believe the makers of omnifocus are behind this product
This outliner app is just clunky and awful compared to other Omnigroup products. Try editing an outline at all or dragging parts of the outline around. You just can’t. Or at least I couldn’t drag a subheading from one top-level heading to another. Also, Select all doesn’t work, but you can hold down shift and select multiple items individually? Not great to introduce friction into an outlining app.
I feel like I’m back in the early/mid-nineties when drag and drop wasn’t universal and people were just figuring out intuitive elements of the UI. For $10? No thanks. I’d rather outline things in Omnifocus, as silly as that sounds, but it’s actually way superior app for the task. Save your money and just get OF and export as taskpaper.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the late reply. All the things mentioned here are abilities of the app. You can drag rows around to any location and select rows with Select All. These interactions work the same as they do in OmniFocus. If you’re interested in trying out OmniOutliner again please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (206) 523-4152 and we’ll be happy to help you get set up and answer any questions you have. Thanks!
Syncing Across Devices Works Seemlessly with iCloud
I'm unsure what some of the reviewers are experiencing when complaining about cumbersome syncing. When I save an outline to iCloud, it syncs seemlessly across Mac OS and iOS. I can then simply open the file, make any changes, close the file and all changes immediately sync across all devices. Maybe the issue was fixed in response to the reviews. Maybe the reviewers were confused or need instruction on using their devices. Either way, do not let those reviews discourage you from purchasing this great app. Syncing with iCloud is fast, easy and intuitive.
- The Omni Group
- 39.7 MB
macOS 10.14 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2000-2019 The Omni Group
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial
- Free upgrade to v5 Pro
- Free upgrade to v5
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.