SEABOARD 5D: THE iPHONE and iPAD LIKE YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THEM BEFORE
Seaboard 5D unlocks the extraordinary potential of your iOS device as a touch-responsive surface for making music. It recreates the expressive possibilities of the Seaboard RISE, the award-winning instrument from ROLI. Shape sounds on-screen through the Five Dimensions of Touch: Strike, Glide, Slide, Press and Lift. You’ll discover the power and fun of Seaboard 5D as soon as you touch the screen. Seaboard 5D not only turns your iOS device into a powerfully expressive musical instrument, it is also the ultimate portable sound engine for your favorite MIDI controller.
ADD NEW DIMENSIONS
Play a gentle woodwind melody, a rich textured pad or a killer synth lead. Players of any ability can pick up Seaboard 5D, make some tunes — and put the instrument back in their pockets.
The unique playing surface of Seaboard 5D is laid out like a piano keyboard from the future. Instead of white and black piano keys you now have a continuous set of “keywaves” — just like the Seaboard RISE. You can bend the pitch by gliding your fingers from side to side, modulate a sound by moving up and down a keywave, and — on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 — deepen sounds by pressing into the surface. You can create an astonishing variety of sounds and effects through the Five Dimensions of Touch.
FIND YOUR SOUND
Seaboard 5D comes with the Fundamentals Soundpack, which offers 25 diverse, custom-crafted sounds. Polyrhythmic Loops morphs as you play up and down the keywaves. Breath Flute lets you simulate breath control on a wind instrument through pressure. Smoky Rhodes is a cool, modern reinterpretation of the Fender Rhodes.
Expand your collection with additional Soundpacks. Hybrid Acoustic comes with over 500MB of unique samples. Expressive Electronic includes both vintage synths and contemporary pads. Synthetic Leads is for when you really just need to shred!
POWER YOUR KIT
Seaboard 5D is also the ultimate mobile sound engine for a range of MIDI controllers. Using MIDI over Bluetooth, the app lets you make music wirelessly — with just a mobile device and a MIDI controller — wherever you want.
It is also one of the first apps with MPE (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression) Mode, and it works plug-and-play with any MPE-compatible controller.
To get the most out of Seaboard 5D, try it with our own Seaboard RISE, the multi-award-winning MIDI controller hailed as “the future of the keyboard” (MusicRadar). The Seaboard RISE and Seaboard 5D are the ultimate tools for making music on the go.
THE WORLD OF ROLI
At ROLI, we are creating a set of connected tools for modern music creation. The Seaboard RISE, Seaboard GRAND, and ROLI BLOCKS are part of our family of beautifully designed, technologically cutting-edge products. Learn more at www.roli.com.
- Tweak your sounds with onscreen macro controls and XY Touchpad
- Vary the size of the onscreen keywave surface to suit your screen and preferences
- Octave shift buttons and an onscreen sustain pedal add depth to real-time performance
- Control Five Dimensions of Touch: Strike, Press, Glide, Slide and Lift
- Purchase Soundpacks in-app and build your collection of sounds
- Recreate the Seaboard RISE experience on the iPhone 6s and make the most of its new 3D Touch feature
Seaboard 5D is designed for:
- iPhone 5c and above
- iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2 and above
- iPad Mini 2 and above
- Please note that while Seaboard 5D works well as a sound engine on all supported iPhones and iPads, you will only be able to use all of the Five Dimensions of Touch with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 7.
- Seaboard 5D has now been optimised for Retina Displays
- Updated launch screen artwork
Ratings and Reviews
So close, yet so very far.
This app would be great, if it weren't for one fatal flaw: No inter-app audio support. This severely limits the capabilities of the app.
Inter-app audio support is the feature I NEED, but having said that, I also have a few WANTS:
First, it would be great if I could import an Equator patch into the app. I haven't even bought the Equator synth yet, because the prospect of having to connect to a computer every time I want to play my own custom patches does not appeal to me.
Second, I want the ability to edit the presets! Some of the patches that come with the app are awash in reverb/delay, and I can't do anything to change them. This limitation, on top of no inter-app audio, practically reduces the app to a toy.
Finally, this app should be integrated with Noise. Meaning, if I buy a sound pack here, I can also download it from the Noise app with no additional charge. As it stands now, I basically have to buy the same sounds twice. That doesn't make sense.
Having said all that, I still think the app deserves four stars. It is FREE, after all. However, I would pay a pretty penny for the features listed above. Make it happen, Roli.
Could be better
First of all, it is nice to be able to mess around with the Seaboard without having to use laptop.
But so far, this app serves only as a demonstration of the seaboard rather than a tool to empower seaboard and make music.
Below are my suggestions to improve the usability of this app:
1. The effects library should be easier to navigate. Finding the effect that I want is a very painful process especially after I bought the add on effects. Effects should as least shown in category like the way they are shown in the Equator library.
2. Inter app support. GarageBand has the ability to play and record music from third party apps, and this app is, disappointingly, not utilizing this function.
3. Bluetooth headphones latency. Other apps, like the MusicStudio, has no noticeable latency when using Bluetooth headphones, in my case, the AirPods. GarageBand has noticeable but acceptable latency with AirPods. And the latency in this app is too noticeable even without connecting to the Seaboard.
4. The ability of effect customization, as other reviews mentioned.
5. The ability to import effects from the Equator and use them in the app. iPad and iPhone are getting way more powerful that they are replacing laptops to some degree. Since the Seaboard Rise has the Bluetooth feature and intends to let users make music on the go, the mobile platform should really follow up the pace.
Controls are Weird
Okay, it has the basic limitations that would keep it from being an iPadian giant as far as music production goes, given the lack of inter audio and Audiobus support.
But the sounds are AMAZING.
One problem is the actual interface. You will think the gray lines are the center of the ‘traditional-white’ key, but they are not, it slides off to the right. I see they did this as the ‘traditional-black’ key is centered graphically, so it would potentially overlap visually the spacing between the keys. But it just makes for a weird playing experience....a lot of wrong notes! Unfortunate.
- ROLI Ltd.
- 178.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2016 ROLI Ltd. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Hybrid Acoustic $3.99
- Expressive Electronic $3.99
- Synthetic Leads $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.