SIMO : MATLAB programming app 4+
100% on-device computation
Designed for iPad
Check out our FREE app Console, which is powered by SIMO's MATLAB interpreter. If you find Console useful, SIMO is definitely suitable for you.
SIMO is a feature-rich development environment for MATLAB. We have developed a version of MATLAB interpreter that works for commonly used language syntax and functions for beginners.
[+] Who will find SIMO useful?
- Students learning the basics of MATLAB.
- Course instructors of fundamental MATLAB courses.
- Individuals whose works do not depend on specialised toolboxes and advanced language syntax.
[+] What is SIMO?
- It is an integrated environment for running MATLAB.
- It allows you to create, edit, and run MATLAB code on iOS devices.
- Unlike other apps that compute on the cloud, it performs computation entirely locally on device. No internet connection is needed. You don't miss a single app feature even if you are offline.
[+] What SIMO cannot do?
- It does not completely replace MATLAB, as it has only a subset of built-in functions of MATLAB.
- It does not support advanced features such as Simulink or creating user-interface.
[+] One app, all platforms
- You will be amazed at how much work you can do on a phone. The app is designed to let you work effectively on smaller screens.
- The iPad app features a split-screen layout. You can enjoy a full-screen workspace, or work on two views simultaneously.
- The iPad app runs on Macs with Apple silicon as well. Buy one app and it works on all of the platforms.
[+] MATLAB interpreter
- The interpreter works for language syntax that is essential to survive a MATLAB course. It provides the most commonly used built-in functions for learners.
- The interpreter computes on your device locally. You will not miss a single app feature even if you go completely offline.
- SIMO comes with a full set of documentation and user guides. It is offline accessible and full-text searchable.
[+] Visualization tool
- Plots are rendered in real-time using your device's computing power. Operations such as updating line attributes, pan and zoom are fast and responsive.
- Stunning 3D plots are rendered by the device's GPU in real-time. Pan, zoom or rotate with multi-touch gestures, trackpad or keyboard shortcuts.
- Plot attributes are editable through the built-in user-interface. You can improvise with different styles without entering a single line of code.
[+] Command console
- You can run one or many lines of code from the command console. It supports line numbering, auto-intent and syntax highlighting.
- Search over thousand lines of output data instantly. You'll never get overwhelmed by the sea of numbers.
- Output data are formatted automatically to fit the screen size or app window. Data are always neatly presented however you resize the app.
[+] File manager
- Files can be synced across all of your iCloud Drive enabled devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac). Or, you can store them locally on device.
- Tons of files buried in tons of folders? No worries. The search feature will help you find an item instantly.
- It has features you expect from a useful file manager. Add, copy, delete, duplicate, move, rename, sort and more.
[+] Script editor
- It has features you expect from a useful script editor. Syntax highlight, auto-indent, line numbers and more.
- Search for a word in a script. Replace occurrences with another word.
- Recent items are accessible from your finger tip. It is a useful feature for navigating through frequently accessed files.
- Fix a bug that causes the app to terminate unexpectedly when exporting a plot as image or PDF.
- Fix a bug that prevents the console output/editor from adjusting its view size when the virtual keyboard has been shown or dismissed.
Ratings and Reviews
Useful app needs more functions
It is useful to have a matlab like app for the ipad.
But I think it would be more useful if it can implement more features, such as being able to set multiple search paths; and functions such as “load”, “FFT”, “tf”, “bode” etc.
Missing Language Syntax - Not Full-Featured!
Within 30 seconds, I found out that I WASTED my money. This app does NOT support anonymous functions, structs, or cell arrays, which are a part of the Matlab syntax. By not supporting these language features, Simo is NOT a full-featured Matlab replacement. I can forgive not having every built-in function, but advertising as full-featured but lacking critical language syntax is INCREDIBLY MISLEADING.
In addition, I cannot hide the Simo keyboard when using an external keyboard. It doesn't handle keyboard presses such as Enter when using the command line. You can't change the font size or swap line-wrap/line-continuation when editing text. All of these issues make using the editor and the command prompt very frustrating.
As an electrical engineering student I love the idea of being able to use matlab without the need for a desktop computer or laptop. However, for my needs, I find this app to be limited. It doesn’t have the function to find the determinant of any NxN matrix, I can’t create symbolic matrices, and it doesn’t have support for transfer functions, bode diagrams, etc. I really hope this functions are added in future updates.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Numerical Co.
- 64 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Numerical Co.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.