Effectively learn all the 88 constellations and 150+ brightest stars in the sky by progressing through 300+ levels and train & test your knowledge while having fun.
- 123 levels teach, train and test your knowledge of all 88 constellations defined by the International Astronomical Union.
- 180 levels teach, train and test your knowledge of 150+ brightest stars of the sky.
- Three training and testing modes for each level (easy, medium and hard) to help you progress smoothly and guide you to eventually recognize the constellations and stars in the real night sky.
- Opportunity to review your mistakes after completing each level.
- Realistic night sky simulation and beautiful illustrations and animations.
- Combination of learning and gaming. Learn while having fun.
- Explore the mysterious night sky on your own on the Explore screen. You can either tap on the objects (constellations or stars) for more information or click the search icon to easily find what you’re interested in.
- Completely configure the game according to your preference. Adjust sounds & vibrations, change appearance of the sky ( stars, illustrations, constellation lines, borders of constellations, equatorial grid lines, focus ring, Milky Way, etc.), and enable/disable optimized mode, and reset all the settings to their default values and your progress.
The game is designed to teach the user to recognize all the 88 modern constellations and brightest stars in the night sky by taking them through a number of levels. Levels are divided into categories (constellations & stars), regions (north, equator, south) and difficulties (easy, medium, hard). Each level teaches only a small number of objects and then trains the knowledge in a quiz game to aid memorization. Later levels also review and retest the knowledge of previously learnt objects.
In each level, you're first given an opportunity to see and memorize the objects (constellations or stars) of that level. Use the arrows to go through all of them, and click 'Start' once you're ready. The description of each object is displayed on the panel at the bottom of the screen. The panel can be expanded by dragging it up to show more details about the object. After clicking “Start”, an object will be shown and you’ll be presented with 4 options. The level ends when you answer a certain number of questions (shown in the top-left corner) correctly. At the end of the level you'll have the opportunity to review the mistakes you’ve made before progressing further. Please note, in challenge levels, no hints are available and you are given only a limited number of lives to pass them.
Each level is available in 3 difficulties: easy, medium, and hard.
Easy levels show the lines of the constellations, making the experience less similar to the real night sky, but it's the first step of learning.
Medium levels hide the lines of the constellations, but show their precise borders and the lines of the surrounding constellations to help the recognition.
Hard levels are closest to the real night sky: they only show the approximate location of the objects, instead of the exact shape (the borders), and randomly choose the orientation each time, so that you learn to recognize the objects from another angle.
We recommend going through each difficulty, from easy to hard, for optimal learning experience, unless you have prior knowledge that allows you to skip easier levels.
The explore screen (third button on the main screen) allows you to explore the sky on your own. Tapping on the objects (e.g. names of the stars or constellations) shows more information about them (e.g. abbreviation, brightest star, area of the sky, bright stars, distance etc.). You can also use the same double-tap gesture to quickly hide/reveal all the decorations. The search icon (top-right corner) allows you to quickly find a particular object you're interested in.
Small bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Very fun and effective
I’m a university senior majoring in astronomy and physics and decided to download this to learn the constellations while waiting for clouds to clear while taking data. I’ve been playing it a bit each day for a little while since then and absolutely love it. It has been very effective in teaching me the constellations (just about done with the northern hemisphere) and it is super relaxing. The app is also very well polished, with a ton of good settings to configure.
Also, I know most people might not care, but THANK YOU FOR LISTING SPECTRAL TYPE FOR THE STARS!!!!! And also visual magnitude, and parallax, and color index, and MULTIPLE catalogue names?? It’s as if this were literally made for me.
The one thing I’d love to see added is an option to display the constellation lines as drawn by H.A. Rey in his book “The Stars: A New Way to See Them.” Those are the lines the professors here tend to prefer. The standard IAU lines are fine (and definitely the “official” lines, and a good default) but Rey’s are more fun in my opinion.
Overall, fantastic app, and astronomy researcher approved!!
Developer Response ,
Hi fellow astronomy lover from the US, thank you SO MUCH for your detailed and passionate review and for supporting Sky Academy! It is exactly this kind of encouragement that keeps me motivated. I’ll keep improving and updating the app. :) I’ve taken a note of your suggestion and depending on how difficult it is to implement it and how many users are interested in the constellation lines drawn by H.A. Rey, I’ll think about implementing it in the future versions. Btw, if you know someone who’s interested in astronomy, I’d really appreciate it if you could recommend Sky Academy to them. Many thanks in advance! Have fun learning! ❤️
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Xiang Dong
- 72.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Dong Digital
- In-App Purchases
- Lifetime Premium $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.