Swift Playgrounds makes it fun to learn to code and build real apps. You solve interactive puzzles in the guided “Get Started with Code” and learn the basics of building apps in “Get Started with Apps.” You experiment with a wide range of challenges and samples that let you explore unique coding experiences.
Swift Playgrounds doesn’t require any coding experience — it’s perfect for anyone just starting out, from eight to one-hundred-and-eight. The whole time you are learning Swift and SwiftUI, the powerful programming technologies created by Apple and used by professionals around the globe to build many of today’s most popular apps. And because it’s built to take advantage of iPad and the real iOS SDK, Swift Playgrounds provides a one of a kind learning experience.
• Apple-created lessons guide you through the core concepts of programming by using code to solve puzzles
• See your code run in a beautiful, interactive 3D world that you can rotate with a finger and pinch to zoom
• Animations introduce each new coding concept at a high-level before you dive into the puzzles
• Glossary and built-in help pages give detailed information about available commands, frameworks, and terminology
Explore and Create
• Interactive coding shows the results of your code instantly, alongside your work
• Step through code in playground books to highlight each line as it runs
• Books provide a head start to create your own playgrounds that use graphics, sound, and touch
• App Gallery walks you through the building blocks of apps, like tabbed navigation and receiving input from device sensors
Build Apps on iPad
• Create real apps on iPad using SwiftUI
• See your code changes reflected live while you type
• Type quickly and accurately with inline code suggestions
• Extend your app with an ecosystem of Swift packages
• Navigate your code with project-wide search
Smart Coding Assistance
• Touch and hold to grab any command and move it around to change the order of your code
• Drag a brace with your finger to wrap a block of code inside a loop or conditional statement
• Drag and drop snippets of commonly-used code directly into your playground
• Fix common code errors with helpful inline suggestions
• Stay organized with automatic code formatting
Real Swift, SwiftUI, and iOS Code
• Learn the same powerful Swift programming language used by the pros to create apps in the App Store
• Build dynamic, elegant apps using SwiftUI, a modern way to create user interfaces
• Access iOS frameworks such as SpriteKit for 2D games, SceneKit for 3D graphics, UIKit, and more
• Your code has direct control of iPad hardware, including the gyroscope, accelerometer, camera, and touch events
Share or Publish
• Send your projects to friends and family using Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or other Share Sheet extensions
• Bring your app projects to Xcode on Mac and back again
• Submit your completed apps to the App Store with App Store Connect
Swift Playgrounds 4.4.1 includes Swift 5.9.2 and the iOS 17.2 SDK.
Ratings and Reviews
There was a problem running page error is always popping up
I have an iPad Pro and even when I downloaded the newer version, the character is always yawning and the program is not starting. I keep getting a “There was a problem running this page” on it. It was working fine earlier when the older version was there. I think Apple needs to improve the newer version. The app quits unexpectedly and is the most underrated when it does this. I even notice it on my friend’s MacBook Pro.
As a previous reviewer mentioned, this app takes the dullness out of learning how to program. Even as an adult, I am able to enjoy this learning process. I was an amateur programmer in high school, so I believe that for me to say this is a wonderful way to learn and/or brush up your basics for programming logic is quite a statement for what the developers have created.
The team who created this executed the interface in a very intuitive design; something I find quite uncommon with these "learn to program" apps. I would love to help spread the word about this app so it is not abandoned. Kudos to the Apple team!!! Please keep up the awesome work! Even adults need a more stimulating environment for expanding their skill set.
There are a lot of people mentioning device incompatibility and software bugs. I am running this on an iPad Mini 2. The bugs I have encountered are minor and do not interrupt my progress in a truly time consuming way. Typically, the little map won't load, so I will go back to the previous lesson then return and all will load normally.
I just got this app like yesterday, but so far it’s working great! I haven’t experienced any crashing, and it’s super fun! I was looking for another coding game and swift playgrounds caught my eye. I looked at it and got the app. So much fun! Swift playgrounds is definitely one of a kind! I liked how the main screen was translucent and I could kinda see the Home Screen. I also thought that the way all the playgrounds are in an app format was pretty neat, though I have one question that I had from the app format. When you download a playground, does it take up iCloud space? Other than that question, this app is totally recommended, some levels easy, some hard and the game is so easygoing. I totally recommend, 5/5 ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 1.1 GB
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2016 - 2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.