Tab is the simple way to split a bill among friends. Snap a pic of the receipt and tap your items to claim them. Tax and tip are calculated for you. No more back-of-the-napkin algebra or typing in prices by hand! Once you're ready, you can settle up with integrated Venmo.
Here’s how it works:
- Take a picture of your itemized receipt. Tab automatically detects all the items and prices.
- Select which items each person ordered. Everyone that has Tab on their phone can join onto the bill and select their own items - the app keeps everything synced in real-time.
- Multiple people can select the same item if they shared it.
- Tax and tip are automatically divided proportionally.
- If it's someone's birthday, you can split their total evenly among everyone else.
- Settle up within your group using integrated Venmo or by recording a cash payment.
- View and share detailed summaries of your past bills
Tab has been featured on the Today show, "apps of the year" lists from Buzzfeed, Complex and others, Product Hunt, CNN, and more!
Some maintenance and new year cleanup!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app is amazing
There are a few weird functionality things that I wish would be fixed or modified (happy to provide feedback if the developers reach out) but all in all this app has saved our friends group so much time and energy splitting the bill. We have a few people that don’t drink, or only eat special or specific food and so when we go out a few people always owe a lot more than others. This app is so easy to use, we use it all the time now.
1. I didn’t understand how the birthday button worked, but now that I do I love it! Allocate everything and then hit the button and say whose bday it is and it splits it amongst everything.
2. We had a weird tax on the bill last night and it took us a while to figure out how to edit it. There were 2 “sub” taxes listed and a total and the app added all 3 in.
3. It’s hard to label the bill. You have to go back in and hit it from a weird screen.
4. I love that I can text the breakdown of the costs to my friends, but like the layout and info of the breakdown in the app. Might be nice if you could text the image of the breakdown by person, instead of the whole thing, or for it to make a pdf of the breakdown that I could text to everyone!
All in all the app is great and with weird situations the app usually has a response, it’s just hard to figure it out when that happens. We all love it. Most useful app I own by far!!!!
Developer Response ,
Hey there - thanks so much for the kind words! We're very glad you're enjoying the app. Definitely get in touch with more of your feedback, we're all ears: firstname.lastname@example.org
I really love this app and think everyone should download it! It’s definitely user friendly and really simplifies group meals (which I’ve often avoided in the past because of splitting the bill lol). I do have one qualm tho! I was the one to put down my card and noticed that the total bill amount did not equal the bill amount on the actual receipt. Later when I got home, I realized that Tab based the tip on the subtotal BEFORE tax whereas the restaurant based the tip on the subtotal WITH tax (which is a much higher amount). If there’s a way to change that so the user has the option to change which total is taxed, that would be great! :)
Good, could be great
I recently used this app for the first time and was able to split a bill between seven people fairly easily and give them their total. I had a question come up later but could not get back to the details to verify that we had split the bill correctly, adding some audit trail would be really useful in this situation. Additionally, another great feature would be to be able to send out, via text or email, an itemized receipt to each of the bill participants. The people I regularly split large bills with have a wide range of comfort with technology, it would be nice to be able to send them something more detailed than just their totals but show them the items selected and their portion of taxes and tip. Asking them to join the bill from their device is way beyond what they would be willing to do. With these two enhancements, this would be the perfect app for my needs.
Developer Response ,
Hey again! As promised, our latest update has addressed all of these points. Check it out and let us know what you think!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.