Scan paper documents with the camera and recognize text. Listen using built-in text-to-speech. Save and export. Unlimited use: no subscriptions or additional charges.
State-of-the-art A.I. for OCR and text recognition: Fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions. Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
ScanTone, a sound that represents the amount of recognizable text in the camera's field of view in real time. It uses artificial intelligence to analyze the live feed from the camera for text, angle, rotation, and document edges.
Export scans as plain text or PDF with embedded text to another app, or save them on your local device, iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
Works with Voice Dream Reader, our full-featured text-to-speech reader. After downloading this app, you will be able access the scanner directly from Reader. In addition, you'll be able to read scanned PDF documents in Reader.
Detailed Feature List
- Live edges/crop detection
- Batch mode for scanning multiple pages quickly
- Intelligent auto capture
- Automatic edge detection for stretching and cropping
- Manually cropping
- Automatic orientation detection and rotation
- Manual image rotation
- Automatic image enhancement
- Fast: a couple of seconds on the latest iPhone
- Offline: does not require Internet connection
- Private: image and text stay on device
- Automatic language detection
- Option to see image or recognized text
Text To Speech
- Choose from 61 voices
- Premium voices in Voice Dream Reader available
- Change speech rate
- Option to start reading as soon as OCR is complete
- Spoken word is highlighted in the text or the image
- Rewind and fast forward by text section (VoiceOver users only)
- Double tap on text to start reading from there
Import and Export
- Load from Photo Library
- Share extension for sending images to Scanner from another app
- Export plain text
- Export PDF with text layer under the image so that it's accessible, searchable and selectable
- Export to Voice Dream Reader as PDF
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are supported. It works all language supported by Voice Dream Reader except: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
- Sometimes reads multi-column text layout out of sequence.
- Handling audio interruptions.
- Support for VoiceOver two-finger double-tap to pause or resume reading.
- Support for Bluetooth and lock screen audio controls.
- Sharing from Message no longer results in duplicate images.
- Stability improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Helpful in hundreds of ways
This is One of a few apps I use daily. Why? I like things that just work simply and reliably. voice Dream Scanner has a simple but powerful interface that makes reading things, all kinds of things, very fast and easy. Today, I have used it to read a piece of mail I received, identify a bottle of lotion I was given as a gift, identify several cans of fruit to find pineapple for a fruit salad,￼ and read several pages from a magazine, an article that was suggested by a friend. I also used it to read the directions on the package of frozen food where the barcode scanner in Seeing AI failed to recognize the product. I own several scanning apps including the very expensive one put out by NFB. This is the scanning app that does the job for me nearly every time with no fuss and no friction. It's funny to me that this app costs a little over five dollars while the NFB app cost $100. This app works, without crashing, and without breaking the bank.
Definitely worth the investment.
Thanks to the Voice Dream Scanner, sorting thru mail and other paperwork is a breeze! I just purchased this app and put it thru its paces organizing the desk. I especially appreciate the variety of options for saving scan results for further reference, and found this app much more enhanced with features than other options currently available. If I could add one feature, it would be a button for checking page orientation. Even though the app automatically corrects this, sometimes it is really important to know the physical orientation of the page. Still, definitely worth the investment, and I look forward to using the Voice Dream Scanner for many years to come.
Best scanning app I have ever used, and I have used them all
I have tried pretty much all of the blind friendly scanning apps that have been available since 2012–including the famous one from that well-known blindness organization that doesn’t work nearly as well as its proponents claim it does.
Out of all of them, I have found this one to have the best method of indicating the location of text for proper orientation of the device, and it also has very rapid recognition. Additionally, it uses local recognition and does not use the cloud, which is great for privacy.
One strange and unusual problem I have just discovered with it, though most people won’t experience this, is that if you reset all settings on an iPhone, this app no longer seems able to generate the scan tone, or use the camera flash. The app must be deleted and reinstalled, which isn’t really a problem once you figure out what you have to do.
That little oddity aside, this is truly a great app, and is worth 10 times the price. I know, Because I have paid 10 times the price for other scanning apps for the blind which were not nearly as good.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 81.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2018-2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.