Zen Brush 2 is a drawing app focused on the strong yet beautiful feel of the East Asian ink brush.
With a new drawing engine that brings to life a feeling of silky fluent painting and the delicacy of an ink brush, providing a simple and intuitive user interface imbued with the Zen spirit, this app is designed to be optimal for performing Zen art.
Simply start the app and you are immediately ready to draw. Anyone can create superb Zen art anywhere and at any time with this app’s uniquely rich expressiveness. You can publish your work to Facebook and Twitter with the "Share" and "Open in" functions. You can also share or edit your images by opening them in other apps such as Instagram, WhatsApp, LINE, Photoshop Mix, etc.
- The next step in the evolution of the Zen Brush app which achieved more than 1.5 million downloads on all platforms combined.
- Includes a new brush engine providing an even stronger, beautiful expressiveness.
- Includes a gallery feature that makes it possible to save your work in progress.
- Includes red ink in addition to the black ink (*).
- Ink dispersion effect enables a three-dimensional feeling of depth.
* Actual colors vary depending on the template.
- 92 background style templates.
- Simple brush size adjustment with slider.
- Simple main tools: Ink brush, red brush, eraser brush.
- 3 levels of ink dispersion.
- 3 levels of ink tone.
- Canvas zoom (zoom in and out with pinch gestures).
- Guide lines (9 types).
- Undo / redo (5 levels).
- Save your work to the photo library.
- Open in other apps (Formats: JPEG, PNG, transparent PNG (no background)).
- Share artwork (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Simulated finger pressure.
- Support for pressure sensitive styluses.
* Apple Pencil / Wacom Bamboo Stylus / Adonit / Scriba / SonarPen
- Support for iPad Pro.
- Support for 3D Touch.
- Adjustable brush pressure sensitivity (5 levels).
- Adjustable tilt sensitivity (5 levels).
* Requires a pen that supports tilt.
- Supports multitasking (Slide Over / Split View).
- Support for iMessage App.
- Support for Dark Mode in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
So simple, yet robust and beautiful...
It was a little intimidating at first. This app is not your average sketch app... there is just one brush tool (with 2 colors, three levels of transparency, and 4 texture/wetness levels), no layers, and not a lot of editing tools besides a deep but limited undo button. This art app is specifically focused on the Japanese Ink brush style, and challenges the user to reinvent how they express themselves artistically. Novices to digital painting or sketching may find this app too specific, but anyone and everyone will enjoy stepping up to the challenge of painting in this minimalist style. Full disclosure: I am categorically a “noob” at digital art making in any style!!! But I have a deep passion for exploring and learning how to use art making apps on the iPad 6th gen with iOS12. This is the ideal app for anyone interested in high tech digital painting in this ancient traditional technique. Be sure to use the Apple Pencil (or other supported “active” stylus) to make the most of the pressure and angle sensitivity for the fullest range of the virtual brush’s expressivity.
After years of using Zen Brush I think Zen Brush 2 is extraordinary. An amazing art program that does one thing extremely well: mimic the real-world flex and bristle spread of a sumi brush. The responsive and expressive nature of Zen brush is even more amazing with the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil. The added benefits of the 5 “UNDO's” and DRY brush of version 2 makes it an outstanding addition. I love the ability to Save and Load previous drawings, add to them, and save as new artwork.
The ability to Export (Save) as PNGs with Transparent backgrounds makes it ideal for use in Procreate, Concepts, or Affinity Photo (for iPad) and use the brushwork as layer to use with layered color artwork is AWESOME.
In fact, the ONLY thing missing from this version of ZenBrush 2 is the ability to import art from Photos and use it as a springboard to create other artwork. (A single transparent layer would be perfect too.) but at least the ability to import from PHOTOS would be greatly appreciated. GREAT WORK Zen Brush team!!
Amazing program, I really enjoy it, but...
I didn’t use the original Zen Brush, so I can’t speak to that version, but this is a really strong painting program. I really love the “feeling” of the brush distortion as the the pressure changes with the Apple Pencil. I have been looking for a program like this for a while, even with ProCreate available.
THings I would like to see included in the next update would be having the addition of a pre-wet paper option, to allow the ink to drift a little or interact with the other strokes on the paper. Also, I appreciate the original colors being red and black, but what I would love is a small pallet of colors, like a medium box of crayons, maybe 16/24 colors each with the 3 options of opacity. Later on in a further iteration, adding mixing for custom colors, but now just adding a wet paper option and and a couple dozen colors would be fantastic. Great overall app.
- P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd.
- 71.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd. Developed by PSOFT MOBILE
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.