Scan paper documents with the camera and recognize text. Listen using built-in text-to-speech. Save and export. Unlimited use: no subscriptions or additional charges.
State-of-the-art A.I. for OCR and text recognition: Fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions. Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
ScanTone, a sound that represents the amount of recognizable text in the camera's field of view in real time. It uses artificial intelligence to analyze the live feed from the camera for text, angle, rotation, and document edges.
Export scans as plain text or PDF with embedded text to another app, or save them on your local device, iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
Works with Voice Dream Reader, our full-featured text-to-speech reader. After downloading this app, you will be able access the scanner directly from Reader. In addition, you'll be able to read scanned PDF documents in Reader.
Detailed Feature List
- Live edges/crop detection
- Batch mode for scanning multiple pages quickly
- Intelligent auto capture
- Automatic edge detection for stretching and cropping
- Manually cropping
- Automatic orientation detection and rotation
- Manual image rotation
- Automatic image enhancement
- Fast: a couple of seconds on the latest iPhone
- Offline: does not require Internet connection
- Private: image and text stay on device
- Automatic language detection
- Option to see image or recognized text
Text To Speech
- Choose from 61 voices
- Premium voices in Voice Dream Reader available
- Change speech rate
- Option to start reading as soon as OCR is complete
- Spoken word is highlighted in the text or the image
- Rewind and fast forward by text section (VoiceOver users only)
- Double tap on text to start reading from there
Import and Export
- Load from Photo Library
- Share extension for sending images to Scanner from another app
- Export plain text
- Export PDF with text layer under the image so that it's accessible, searchable and selectable
- Export to Voice Dream Reader as PDF
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are supported. It works all language supported by Voice Dream Reader except: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
- Sometimes reads multi-column text layout out of sequence.
- Added ability to send image to Scanner from some apps, such as Mail.
- Minor performance and stability improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Helpful in hundreds of ways
This is One of a few apps I use daily. Why? I like things that just work simply and reliably. voice Dream Scanner has a simple but powerful interface that makes reading things, all kinds of things, very fast and easy. Today, I have used it to read a piece of mail I received, identify a bottle of lotion I was given as a gift, identify several cans of fruit to find pineapple for a fruit salad,￼ and read several pages from a magazine, an article that was suggested by a friend. I also used it to read the directions on the package of frozen food where the barcode scanner in Seeing AI failed to recognize the product. I own several scanning apps including the very expensive one put out by NFB. This is the scanning app that does the job for me nearly every time with no fuss and no friction. It's funny to me that this app costs a little over five dollars while the NFB app cost $100. This app works, without crashing, and without breaking the bank.
Voice Dream equals Phenomenal as Always
As happens every time, I am once again blown away by this developer/s. For three years, Voice Dream Reader has remained the only tts app I continue to use every day.
I have been waiting for a good affordable scanner app for the blind, and at last it has arrived. I am more greatful than I can say, and would have paid three times the price for this amazing app.
I will be going to college later this year, and I am now feeling more confident about being able to access my future materials.
Thanks so much Voice Dream Team!
I just downloaded it and ran a couple of tests, and it works amazingly well. It’s especially great when used (as designed) in conjunction with the Boice Dream app. My only suggestions for improvement are 1) Allow it I just downloaded it and ran a couple of tests, and it works amazingly well. It’s especially great when used (as designed) in conjunction with the Boice Dream app.
My only suggestions for improvement are
1) Allow it to work on photographs previously on my device; and
2) The optional tone that can be played when an edge is detected could be a lot more quiet and subtle and pleasant and still be equally effective. It would be much more effective, actually, because I wouldn’t feel compelled to turn off that option. Let me suggest two tones: one quick, short (and pleasant) one for when an edge is first detected, and then another for when an edge is no longer detected—and silence the rest of the time.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 81.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2018-2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.