Koala is the ultimate pocket-sized sampler. Record anything with your phone's mic instantly. Use Koala to create beats with those samples, add effects and create a track!
Koala’s super intuitive interface helps you make a tracks in a flash, there is no brake pedal. You can also resample the output of the app back into the input, through the effects, so the sonic possibilities are endless.
Koala's design focuses totally on making the music making progress instant, keeping you in the flow and keeping it fun, not getting bogged down by pages of parameters and micro-editing.
* Record up to 64 different samples with your mic
* Transform your voice or any other sound with 16 superb built-in fx
* Resample the output of the app back into a new sample
* Export loops or entire tracks as professional quality WAV files
* Direct export to Ableton Live Set
* Copy/paste or merge sequences just by dragging them
* Create beats with the high-resolution sequencer
* Import samples using AudioShare or just open them in Koala
* Import samples with the Files app or from videos
* Keyboard mode lets you play chromatically or one of 9 scales
* Quantize, add swing to get the right feel
* Normal/One-shot/Loop/Reverse playback of samples
* 6 Choke groups
* Attack, release and tone adjustable on each sample
* Add any (or all) of the 8 effects to the entire mix
* AudioBus 3.0 and Inter-App Audio compatible
* MIDI controllable - play your samples on a keyboard, map the effects to knobs
* Jam with others over WiFi with Ableton Link
* Free copy of Ableton Live Lite included
8 Built-in Microphone FX:
* More Bass
* More Treble
* Octave up
* Octave down
16 Built-in DJ Mix FX:
* Comb filter
* Ring modulator
* Resonant High/Low Pass Filters
* Tempo Delay
MIDI MAPPING UPDATE!! (take 3)
* Midi map effects, transport, tempo sequence and some sample controls
* Hold and loop can both be enabled at the same time
* Custom background image chooser
* Edit a pad without triggering it (hold EDIT and press pad)
* Improved effects quality
* Added sort options for LOAD screen
* Fixed intermittent crash when exporting stems
* Landscape mode on iPhone
* Updated AudioBus library to latest version
* Enabled QWERTY keyboard shortcuts for iPad (same as the Mac ones)
and a few more things
- fixed a bug where some phones would get stuck when loading
- made sharing koala songs more stable
- made exporting much faster
- added midi velocity
- added a switch in settings to stop koala autotrimming the front of your sample if recording from microphone
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
My favorite music making App hands down!
Koala is so good for me because of two factors, being fun and being simple. I was hesitant and first to buy this app because over the years I have collected a large amount of computer software, instruments, and hardware samplers to make beats with. So for me I was like “why would I need this? I already have everything!” But my favorite beat maker posted a video using it so I gave it a try and wow. I loved it.
koala was designed to be intuitive and easy to use but still very powerful. In a age of complicated, extremely powerful beat making computer programs and Phone apps. A lot of my time is spent just tweaking on small details to make my song “perfect” which takes away from the natural fun flow of making music. Koala gives that back to me.
Is it worth the few $$$? Yes. I have music hardware that costs $1200 dollars and this app is more fun and easy to use. I love it!
one wish, one issue, but still fun
a real great, fun app. only have TWO particular drawbacks: 1) i wish there was a way i could source in sounds from other apps on my phone, for example—i have a bunch of moog synth apps on my device. it would be next level for me to be able to have koala record a little synth line i’m playing on my “model D” directly l, and then chop it up on the pads 2) there’s—what i presume to be—a glitch where if you have a project open, and then leave the app and return to it later, all the samples become pitched down even though the pitch knob has not been moved. in order to fix this, i have to choose all my samples and turn the pitch knob all the way up just to offset the glitch and have the samples play at their regular pitch. it’s happened on my phone and pad so it’s not a matter of “delete the app and reinstall” to fix.
if we could get an update with the ability to intermingle with other iOS instruments, that would make this app 5 stars for me, even if i gotta live with the pitch glitch.
Developer Response ,
Hi Guzzy! Thanks for the review! Apple don’t allow recording apps directly between each other - I suspect this is due to security - eg recording phone conversations etc. There are 2 ways around this, both of which koala already caters for
1) use “inter-app audio” which is a technology by Apple that lets audio apps be connected together - you need a host application to open both koala and model 15 - AudioBus and AUM are examples of this
2) make a screen recording of the app you want to record and import the audio from the video into koala - koala has an import video option in the menu for exactly this.
If Apple allowed a more direct approach I would implement it straight away but at the moment I’ve done the best that is possible.
As for the audio glitch pitch thing, thanks for reporting, I’m looking into it now!
All the best
My New SP-404 (and more)
This app is incredible. It’s maybe my single favorite app ever (not just music). If you are proficient with an SP-404 you will love this app.
It makes sample chopping such a pleasure. Beautiful, smooth, stable, precise - everything you could ever ask. So artfully laid out. The whole thing really is a work of art because of its beautiful simplicity and power. It embraces why people love the 404 despite its limitations and also embraces the iPad as an instrument. Thanks so much to the developer for this.
The one thing it kills compared to the 404 is the sequences. Bravo on that. It’s such a fast workflow. I can’t even explain how efficient it is. You just have to get in there and use it.
The effects are great on here but totally different than the 404. Good call on that too. You cannot do the 404 fx on an iPad. It wouldn’t work. This was a much smarter direction. (But if you nailed that vinyl sim, oh boy😳). The effects are really more like the pocket operator’s fx but more robust.
The one thing I would ask (to speed up my personal workflow significantly) would be to have an “export current sample” option just like you can export the current loop only. I do so much sample chopping in here and sometimes have a whole mess of things all in one file and would love to be able to just export one sample at a time.
Again, thanks for making my favorite app.
- Marek Bereza
- 7.3 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPad Air, iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad (6th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch), iPad Pro (11‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), iPad (7th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Air (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (8th generation), iPad (8th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 elf audio
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.