Tempo is the bestselling and most accurate metronome on the App Store. Featured as "New and Noteworthy" and "Staff Favorite" by Apple on the main iTunes landing page. If you'll like to try Tempo out before purchasing, download Tempo Lite for free now.
Ever since its release, Tempo has been consistently in the top 100 of the Music category in over 30 countries, and the top paid metronome app in most countries. Tempo's engine is written from the ground up for high accuracy and stability. It keeps going even in device lock mode, making it a useful aid for live drumming.
Tempo features an innovative interface that morphs between modes that each presents a different combination of functionalities optimized for the task at hand. Five modes are available on the iPhone: Basic, Preset, Setlist, Practice and Gig. On the iPad, Preset, Gig and Complete modes are available, the last providing access to all controls.
Visit www.frozenape.com for demo videos.
• 35 different time signatures, including compound and complex meters: 1-13/2, 1-13/4, 3/8, 5/8(2 variations), 6/8, 7/8(3 variations), 9/8, 12/8
• 6 rhythm patterns for simple meters and 3 for compound meters
• Customize accents or turn beats off to create more complex rhythms
• Tap tempo function
• Tempo ranges from 10 to 800
• Visual feedback in the form of pulsating LEDs
• Two pendulum types, each with two animation types
• Flash whole screen
• Fullscreen display mode with gesture controls
• Store presets in multiple setlists
• Advanced setlist management including search, overwriting, copying between setlists and multi-deletion
• Quick editing
• Share setlists via email
• Backup via iTunes File Sharing
Tracker and Automator
• Track number of bars played or time your practice
• Stop playback automatically when limit reached
• Up to 2 bars of voice count in
• Automatic adjustment of tempo every n number of bars or n amount of time
• Loop and auto advance through setlists
• Coach Mode alternates between unmuted and muted bars
• Choose from 14 sound sets, including one optimized for live drumming click tracks
• Voice counting
• Vibration mode
• Pan audio left, right or centered
• Volume control and mute button
• Control setlists, tempo and playback with AirTurn, iRig BlueBoard, PageFlip Cicada, headphones remote and other accessories
• Assign action to proximity sensor trigger
• Classical metronome and Italian tempo markings
• Pitch pipe for playback of all 12 chromatic pitches (calibration from A = 414 to 466 Hz)
• Multi-tasking support: plays in background, with audio from other apps
• Four color themes
• Theme Editor to create unlimited custom themes
Tempo now displays natively on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Ratings and Reviews
I use this all the time for practicing guitar, not just for steady pace for chord changes, picking, etc but just as an approximate measure count when just trying to get repetition.
With both the guitar & horn it's also a great help to get objective feedback on my ability to speed up the pace with a passage as I get better.
Another neat trick that I'll need another for (my wife's) I will start 2 metronomes at once to get a better feel for how, for example, eighth notes & triplets sound together - helpful when another orchestra section is playing something different.
Using this app also increases my ability to use my ear for my surrounding while playing, to better play with others during rehearsals or performances.
Finally, this has many options, & for an amateur like me it's perfect. My ability to listen and play to what I hear, i think essential for anyone who wants to play with others, absolutely improves with this.
Some years ago, I had a very important gig with a very famous person who, on top of being a legend and a brilliant musician was a stickler for songs, starting a little bit slower live knowing that we have an inclination to speed up once were off the click. I initially downloaded this app to have a quick handy reference live when counting off from behind the kit and used it well as to practice through the set as well. I found it easy and intuitive as a basic metronome.
Then I discovered I could practice various snare rudiments and guitar mandolin exercises and have them speed up as measures passed. I just fell in love with this app. There are other features that I have not used but they are here when needed. If I’m not mistaken, I have been using it since 2015 and I honestly never use anything else at this point.
Best metronome app I've used
As a percussionist and former music teacher, I tried out every metronome app I could find on the App Store. This one is far and away the best. Gig mode alone is enough to put it above most. Customize meters, accent patterns, save setlists, tap tempo, etc. - it's the most full-featured metronome app out there. I also love that it has a watch app and that I can switch songs in a setlist. I also enjoy setting my phone on the floor near my kick pedal and switching songs with my foot using the proximity sensor.
The only things I'd like to see change would be: 1. add .1 bpm increments; 2. allow Bluetooth syncing between devices so the whole band can listen to a synchronized click; 3. be able to have the click drop in and out in practice mode to help musicians practice internalizing the tempo.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Frozen Ape Pte. Ltd.
- 23 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2019 Frozen Ape Pte. Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Theme Pack $0.99
- Theme Editor $0.99