Luminair is a professional-grade lighting control platform that gives lighting designers, filmmakers and TV professionals, musicians, artists and other enthusiasts advanced control over DMX-enabled lights, as well as "Smart" lights via Apple HomeKit.
Control any light... Luminair's Fixture Cloud library contains almost 24,000 fixture profiles, built upon data licensed from Carallon.
Luminair 4 adds a wide range of user-requested features like multi-universe support, RDM support (beta), user interface improvements, Universal Search, support for Apple HomeKit, and so much more.
Move beyond the lighting console! Join us and see why Luminair has been setting the standard for mobile lighting control since 2008!
Try it FREE for 2 weeks, with all features unlocked, and no obligation. See offer details below.
- 1 to 4 DMX Universes (512-2048 Channels, depending on Subscription level)
- 1 Art-Net DMX Input Universe for creating Snapshot scene recordings from another lighting console
- RDM Support (Beta)
- Works with any Art-Net or sACN E1.31 compliant DMX interface
- Transmits Art-Net, sACN E1.31, and/or and KiNET over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Supports DMX over Bluetooth with LumenRadio BLE CRMX devices, MoonLite and TimoTwo
- Supports wired ethernet connections with 3rd-party ethernet adapters
- Project based system allows you to create different documents and switch between them easily
- Advanced document viewer allows you to save projects in iCloud, 3rd-party services like Creative Cloud and Dropbox, plus external disks and flash drives
- LTP faders with fully-configurable scene parameters
- DMX FX Engine with a Movement generator, Oscillator, Color Looping, Random Color/Intensity and more
- Palette/preset based movement system allows you to control and edit movements of multiple moving lights together in unison
- Sequences allow you to play back scenes with customized fade and hold times
- Sound Active mode allows for music controlled light shows using the built-in microphone, or external sound sources
- Innovative tap-to-bump gesture allows you to quickly bump the levels of a scene while holding it's button, releasing those levels when let go
- Supports simultaneous control of DMX and HomeKit lights in the same project
- Touch ID powered Lockdown mode allows you to lock specific parts of the Luminair user interface
- Includes Luminair Remote for Apple Watch (on iPhone devices)
- Supports various external control methods as MIDI, MIDI over Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi, Geofences, OSC Input
- Additional support for 4 Universes, Scheduling, DMX Input Triggers, iBeacons, MSC, MTC, and HomeKit Button Triggers available with Luminair Pro Subscription
- 64-bit app with a scalable UI that uses the latest Apple technologies like iCloud, Core Animation, Core MIDI and more
Please visit us at https://luminair.app for full details.
IMPORTANT: Luminair requires external DMX or HomeKit hardware to control lights, but can also be used in an "offline" mode for building projects and as a learning tool.
Access Luminair Standard or Luminair Pro with monthly or annual subscriptions. You will be automatically billed through Apple every 30 days for monthly subscriptions or every 365 days for yearly subscriptions until you cancel your subscription. The first billing will occur after the one-time free trial period of 2 weeks. Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your subscription can be managed and the auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the App Store Account Settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. Any unused portion of the free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription during the free trial period.
Luminair 4 is here with an amazing amount of new options... This is the biggest update in Luminair's history!
We’ve been listening to your feedback and have implemented a ton of feature requests as new options in v4. Features like multi-universe support, RDM support (beta), a brand new, rich-metadata-filled fixture library with data licensed from Carallon, contextual and conditional real-world fader values, support for Apple HomeKit, and a macOS version (coming soon). Starting with this release we’ve made a decision to move to subscription-based pricing for all new feature updates. Existing features from v3 will remain functional for v3 users and you will continue to receive maintenance updates.
With that out of the way, here’s a look at what’s new in v4 and beyond:
Free new features:
- Adds support for Apple HomeKit lights, outlets and switches
- New iPadOS Sidebar offers increased workflow flexibility and speed
- New document selection UI
- Open and save project files anywhere on the device, including external USB drives
- New Pinch/zoom gesture to resize fader and scene buttons
- Dark Mode support
- Support for iPad Magic Keyboard and Trackpads
- Tons of other improvements and bug fixes
New subscription-based features:
- Rich, Cloud-Based Fixture Library based on data licensed from Carallon
- DMX Channel Slot metadata with Gobo Images, Color Swatches, and more, complete with contextual and conditional real-world values
- Full 16-bit support
- RDM Support (beta). Discover, add and manage RDM fixtures with ease.
- Revised "Group" feature now allows you to automatically control fixtures with similar parameters simultaneously
- Edit Blind mode
- Switch fixture modes easily from within the project, without having to load a new profile
- Replace Fixture option allows swapping with another light or profile while retaining scene values
- New "Hide" option allows for main controls view customization
- Enhanced Color Control with new Mixer, Gel, and XY pickers
- Multi-Universe support (PRO)
- DMX Input Triggers (PRO)
- Universal Search
- Green/Magenta adjustment
- New On/Off DMX control
- MIDI "Talkback"
- And much more!
Subscription Feature Roadmap:
- macOS version coming soon. Use Luminair on iPadOS, iOS and macOS under a single subscription!
- Improved Fixture Cell Support
- Swatches in CCT and Tint pickers
- Monthly fixture profile updates through the cloud
- More frequent new-feature updates. Many new top-secret features are already in development. Stay tuned!
Visit the new web site at https://luminair.app for dull details!
User experience is important to us. For further assistance with this update or any other issues, please contact us at https://support.luminair.app
Ratings and Reviews
School District’s Cure for In House Lighting Counsels
I have been using the app for a couple of years now. Primarily for a number of school districts that I work for and their in-house dimmer racks. It’s been a very intuitive and easy app to use, especially for students. We go out of our way to use it versus a regular lighting console. It’s also has been great for musicals and special events when we need to add special lighting.
That being said, it seems there hasn’t been a cure for a long time bug about assignment of fixture's DMX address if not in order. Also, tends to crash if you make a lot (70-80plus) scenes. Say for like, a musical. Other than that, I am recommending this setup for capital projects from now on.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your positive feedback! Please don’t hesitate to contact us at support.luminairapp.com for any support issues.
Both Useable and Unstable at the same time...
Luminair is simple and useful, because it has editable scenes with faders that can be easily changed.
Luminair has always been very buggy since the very very beginning, and that has not changed very much over the years honestly. The app still often crashes randomly, especially when saving project files, or creating a custom button icon with the camera, despite the latest iOS updates and app updates. The app also loves to suddenly set all channels to off (BLACKOUT) when first loading a saved project file, despite that it was not saved in that state. The workaround for that bug is to turn off the output in the app, load the project, then turn the output back on again. That will prevent the sudden “BLACKOUT” (for no reason) from happening. I often find this app’s simplicity frustrating, especially with the highly limited effects options available, and the inability to use those effects easily, without needing to create duplicate faders mapped to duplicate channels that have those different effects patched into them. I have found the developers have not been very willing to make suggested changes, like the ability to lock project, scene and channel editing ability with independent separate special passwords, in order to make the app more useable in a permanent install environment. Oh well... this app is better than most apps, and a sharp stick in the eye...
Little choice for this kind of app
I have been using Luminair for years and it has its limitations - not as much controllability or customization capability as some pc apps, it is only one universe and definitely has some quirks - but it works! I can control my lights relatively well from my iPad and this app saves me having to use wired controller or having to bring my laptop to each show.
However, I was annoyed that I had to pay full price to upgrade to the current version 3 having only purchased version 2 one year earlier and that once I did I could no longer use my iPad.
I then had to purchase a newer model iPad because there was too much response latency caused by the larger bit size.
Add to that the cost of the ArtNet DMX dongle and it hasn’t been a cheap set up BUT the reliability and convenience has been great.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Synthe FX, LLC
- 789.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Synthe FX LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Luminair Standard Monthly $9.99
- Luminair Standard Yearly $99.99
- Luminair Pro Yearly $199.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.