Built for the love of chess, this app is open source and free for all.
- 150 000 individual users daily and growing fast.
- Play bullet, blitz, classical, and correspondence chess
- Play in arena tournaments
- Find, follow, challenge players
- See your games stats
- Practice with chess puzzles
- Many variants, available online and offline: Crazyhouse, Chess 960, King Of The Hill, Three-check, Antichess, Atomic chess, Horde, Racing Kings!
- Game analysis with local computer evaluation
- Server computer analysis with move annotations and game summary
- Opening explorer
- Play against offline computer
- Over The Board mode to play offline with a friend
- Standalone chess clock with multiple time settings
- Board editor
- Available in 80 languages
- Designed for both phones and tablets, supporting landscape mode
- 100% free, without ads, and opensource!
Chess variants are supported! Try them all:
- Crazyhouse: every time a piece is captured the capturing player gets a piece of the same type and of their color in their pocket.
- Chess960: pieces on the home rank are randomised.
- King Of The Hill: bring your king to the center to win.
- Threecheck: check the opponent king three times.
- Antichess: lose all your pieces to win.
- Atomic Chess: nuke the opponent.
- Horde: destroy the horde to win.
- Racing Kings: Race your king to the eighth rank to win.
Just like http://lichess.org, this application is open source, and respects user freedom. It is entirely free and without ads, now and forever.
Learn more about lichess philosophy: http://lichess.org/blog/U4skkUQAAEAAhIGz/why-is-lichess-free
Source code of the mobile application: https://github.com/veloce/lichobile
Source code of the website and server: https://github.com/ornicar/lila
Donations help keep the servers alive: http://lichess.org/donate
Big thanks to the volunteers behind this app:
- Vincent Velociter (lead dev) https://github.com/veloce
- Renaud Bressand (design) https://twitter.com/RenaudBressand
- Thibault Duplessis (dev) https://github.com/ornicar
- Sebastien Renault (dev of stockfish plugin) https://github.com/srenault
- Mark Henle (dev) https://github.com/freefal
Check out the app page on http://lichess.org/mobile, and follow us on twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/lichessorg
We continuously update the application with new features, improvements and bug fixes.
Release versions and more informations are available at:
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic app, with a few kinks
Overall, Lichess is a fantastic app to play and improve your chess skills. However, there are some thing ms that aren’t ideal about it. For example, the chat feature is very buggy, and I have to send my message multiple times for it to go through. Also, for some reason, when playing a correspondence game, it displays the score that I had when I started the game, even if I played another game in the middle, and my score changed. The analytics page isn’t very friendly, and there is no way to just look at my profile and see my rank.
But these are minor annoyances, since they don’t hinder gameplay, which is fantastic.
I have been using this app for years, overall good application, lot of players from every corner of the planet, lot of tournaments for all strength levels, however the main shortfall of the application is timing.
Players over 2400 strength gain time after each move, it looks like the apps is programmed to favor these players. On the other hand In tournament levels weak players gain tremendous time during the game and you see players at 2200 or more strength loosing on time against a player at 1600 strength. This is so ridiculous when you a player at master level loose on time continuously against a weak player. When you play to a player more or less at your strength the time is about right. Developers need to fix this issue, on short games time is essential. I do have extremely high speed internet connection with no lag at all, so saying this has to do with internet connection has no ground to be based upon. Other than this playing long time games like 10 minutes or more you shouldn't have any issue.
Such An Amazing App!
I am thoroughly impressed with Lichess. There is so much capable within the app itself that easily trumps other software. The endless amount of tactical and positional puzzles as well as the unlimited analysis board. There are also other features such as the ability to watch top players’ games and learn from them, As well as the ability to import and analyze your own games with ease. I think it’s beautiful that the developers made it all non-profit, and instead for the beauty of Chess. There are no problems that I have perceived within the mobile app, as well as the website. I use the app daily, and enjoy it very much. Keep up the great work!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.