Singers - Play your part on its own or with others in the background
Play PDF scores from free sites like IMSLP
Orchestrate your scores with 18 high quality instruments
Play all kinds of music direct from photos, images and PDF scores
Snap music with your camera or import images and PDFs. PlayScore will play it right back to you, scrolling through the song following bar by bar.
Adjust volume, instrument and transposition for each staff
* Create Playable Score Documents that anyone can play back using our free player (built into PlayScore 2)
* Export Full Notation MusicXML to score editors like Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore and Dorico, with dynamics, articulation, trills, turns, repeats, slurs etc, even tremolo (full spec below)
PlayScore 2 reads and plays all kinds of music straight off the page such as:
Piano, organ, guitar
Solos and Sonatas
Chamber and orchestral
(please see online help for exclusions)
Choirs and ensembles - Learning a new piece? Create a Playable Score, so each member can listen to their part on its own or standing out from the others.
18 high quality instruments per staff to choose from
Interact with the music
• Change tempo (even while playing)
• Tap anywhere to play, or drag with a finger to create a loop
• Mute and adjust volume, and change instrument for each staff individually
• Transpose the whole song or by instrument (transposing instruments)
• Or select Auto-transpose and let PlayScore do it for you!
• Adjust dynamic range
• Playback in swing style
PlayScore 2 makes it easy to create multi-page Playable Scores:
• Rearrange recapture or delete pages
• Select a page range in a long PDF
• Clip and mask to remove unwanted material (eg where one song ands and another begins on the same page)
• Adjust recognition system to optimise quality
Organise your Playable Score Documents - The PlayScore 2 Documents screen shows all your playable scores, sorted and searchable by Title or Composer.
Subscriptions - Without a subscription you can
• Play and interact with any PlayScore playable Score, listen to your part on its own
• Play pages of music in 1 or 2 staves per system from a photo
• Create and share single page playable documents
PlayScore 2 Productivity subscription
• Create and play multi-staff, multi-page scores captured with the camera or imported as images
• Export your documents for anyone to play and interact with using our free player
• Interact with scores, cater for transposing instruments, export MIDI files
PlayScore 2 Professional subscription
Create Playable Score documents from PDF scores that anyone can play (using the free player)
Export any score as MIDI and MusicXML containing full notation
Productivity and Professional versions are available as 1-month or 12-month auto-renewing subscriptions.
• The payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• The subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• You may manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings on-line after purchase
Important: Capturing copyrighted music without the copyright holder's permission is illegal.
PlayScore 2 recognises full music notation:
Bars, notes, rests, accidentals, double accidentals
Tuplets: duplets, triplets, sextuplets, 5s, 7s etc, marked or implied
Staff bracketing: grand staff braces and other bracketing
Measures: double bars, repeats, 1st and 2nd ending, bars spanning systems and pages
Anacruses, complement anacruses
Dynamics: f, ff, fff, fz, fp, mf, p etc
Hairpins (crescendo and diminuendo)
Articulation: >, ^, . tenuto etc
Ornaments trills, turns, mordents, arpeggiation etc
Tremolo: strikethrough, alternating, beamed white notes etc
Special symbols: fermata, ottava 8va, repeat-bar etc
Clefs (system and inline): treble, bass, tenor, alto, soprano etc
Key and time signatures system and inline
Improved accuracy including ottava 8va symbol. Improved MusicXML export. Swing playback (tap cogwheel). Improved playback quality. Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
A Great App for Blind Musicians
The list of impressive features in this app include very accurate scanning, beautiful instruments, and the ability to mute or adjust different staff voices. Playscore is quite easy to use with voiceover, and having the option to export the scanned file as music XML, which could then be imported into A Braille music transcription software like Freedots, is revolutionary for blind musicians who play in an ensemble. I would give it five stars except for two major accessibility bugs. Currently it is not possible to adjust The number of pages to scan from the default of 10 with VO, and navigating between pages with VO causes the app to crash every time. However when I contacted the developers about this, they were very responsive, and I’m hopeful that these issues will be fixed in a future release.
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for your review. We will be looking into the issues you mention. Support@playscore.co
Just what I needed
Using PDFs of Bach’s Brandenburg concertos to play violin parts I am learning, obtained from the IMSLP Petrucci database. Using the professional version which will read the PDFs. I especially like the feature where you bracket a passage and then it plays it back repeatedly at whatever metronome speed you want. Helps with timing, intonation, speed, sight reading. Very focused practice session. Can try different left had positions (eg 1st vs 5th) on a difficult passage ( for me) and see effect on intonation and speed. There are separate volume controls for 2 tracks. Works great usinh AppleTV to display score on TV. Multiple users could practice together. They are working on a version for the Mac, which I would also like because of the bigger screen. A I studied classical music 30 years ago and played Old Time, Irish, Country, Bluegrass since then. Returning to classical music to play with community chamber music group. The app has really helped me get up to speed! I will share and recommend to other learners in the group.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review, and thank you for your recommendation. You can adjust staff volumes independently - staff button lower left. That will be reflected in the MIDI export with our next release within a month or so. Support@playscore.co
It’s great-if you use it properly
This app, currently at revision 2.62, keeps getting better. The most important thing people want out of OMR (Optical Music Recognition) software is accuracy. This app gives it to you in spades if the source material is good. Taking a picture of a book often doesn’t work well. But the same material that has been copied and then scanned (photographed) by your iOS or iPadOS device is amazingly accurate. Even complex piano pieces with crazy rhythms or complex jazz chords work well. If you need to modify or otherwise use the material, you can send the MusicXML to any other package that can import MusicXML, e.g. Finale, Dorico, Sibelius, StaffPad, etc.
It’s not perfect by any means-no software is- but for OMR software, especially for iOS and iPadOS, it’s pretty darn good. Some people are off-put by the subscription pricing- but for professionals that need this functionally, it’s well worth the price.
Be warned that it doesn’t do handwritten or handwritten-like fonts, but other than that, it does a great job.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Organum Limited
- 91.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Organum Ltd, Dolphin Computing Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- PlayScore 2 Professional month $5.99
- PlayScore 2 Productivity month $3.99
- PlayScore 2 Professional year $22.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.