You can use the HMRC app to estimate your tax, manage your tax credits, access your Help to Save account, or work out your take-home pay.
Used by more than 550,000 people per month, the app puts you at the heart of your tax matters and financial life.
The secure fingerprint sign in means you can quickly:
• find your tax code
• work out your take home pay, income tax and National Insurance information with our tax calculator
• get your tax estimate, income and state benefits information
• read messages from HMRC
• track the forms and letters you’ve sent to HMRC
Keep track of your tax credits
• check your tax credits payments schedule
• find out how much you've earned for the year
• renew your tax credits
Manage your Help to Save account
• sign in to your Help to Save account
• check your account balance and bonus
• set a savings goal
• keep track of how much you’ve paid in
• see how much you can still save before the end of the month
• set regular reminders to save - or cancel them
• get easy access to your full web account to do things like pay in money or find out how to set up a regular payment
Signing up is easy
• will need to provide your name, National Insurance number and date of birth
• may also need to provide details like your passport number and salary details
HMRC app is safe and secure
• use the app to get access codes to add security to personal, business and agent accounts
• only sign in to your personal tax account as an individual - you can't sign in as a business or an agent
What people are saying about the HMRC app
• “Loving the fingerprint scanner integration.”
• “Does the job and has stopped half my phone calls. Not that I made that many. Great app.”
• “Easy to log in easy to track tax credits and keep track of how much you've earned for the year.”
• “Great! So simple and easy to use.”
To save you time, the app will remember what you were looking at the last time you logged in, and return you to that screen.
We have redesigned the tax calculator to make it much easier to see your take-home pay. If you are signed in to the app then it will use your tax code to work it out.
Ratings and Reviews
Drives me bonkers
Every time I flick between the App and let’s say my online payslip to get details of National insurance or tax figures, it logs me out. I then have to start the whole process again!! There is security and then there is annoyance to the point I need to call the ‘reasonable police’ in! Come on people, let me toggle between screens without being logged out! Maybe automatically log out after 30/60 seconds?! Not instantly! And.... breathe.... sing Disney songs and, bing bang boo, back to my happy place.
Sometimes tricky to navigate
I have used this app several times now and still find difficulties in accessing certain information with the number of security checks and entering codes sent to my devices etc...this is understandable for security reasons, but sometimes becomes frustrating when trying to get things done in a small time frame ie: when small people are napping. That said it’s a great app and much simpler to follow than the pages and pages of paper renewals and having to sit in phone queues for up to an hour to speak to an advisor.
Some good points and bad points
Overall the app is good a lot easier than having to go on the internet and having to look for what I need when all I need to do is open the app. The only downside is when checking how much I pay tax and NI when I get paid I am unable to do this on the app unlike when going on the internet where I can see how much my work are paying me and how much tax and NI is being taken off before actually being paid as this helps me with working out bill money, hopefully soon I will be able to do that on the app as well, I had high hopes for this app but disappointed
Developer Response ,
Hi Megz, you should be able to see your income and tax estimate in the app (though not NI contributions). If this is different from what you see on the internet, please could you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll try to find out what the problem is?
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.