UK government approved, BAFTA-nominated and played over 200 million times by 22 million kids!
Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped millions of children learn to read.
• Parents have seen significant improvements in their children’s literacy within weeks.
• Teachers claim it’s a wonderful and captivating classroom tool that helps their students learn to read.
• Kids love making their monster and teaching it read. They learn through play.
Children create a monster and take it on a magical journey over three extensive games - meeting a host of colourful characters along the way and improving their reading skills as they progress.
• Covers the first two years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to enjoying little books.
• Designed in collaboration with leading academics and game designers.
• Complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
• Suitable for school and home use.
• Includes all 3 games! First Steps, Fun With Words and Champion Reader!
The game is rigorous and works with any phonics scheme so it’s perfect for use in school and at home. It’s developed in collaboration with leading academics at the University of Roehampton.
The app is commonly used in preschool, primary school, kindergarten and first grade as an interactive teaching resource.
PART OF THE USBORNE FOUNDATION CHARITY
Teach Your Monster to Read has been created by Teach Monster Games Ltd. which is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation. The Usborne Foundation is a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE. Harnessing research, design and technology, we create playful media addressing issues from literacy to health.
• Complements Phases 2-5 of UK Government-approved Letters and Sounds and other major systematic synthetic phonics programmes.
• Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids!
• Suitable for ages 3-6.
• Designed in collaboration with reading experts from Roehampton University.
• Available on iPad and iPhone.
REVIEWS FROM TEACHERS AND PARENTS
"This game is the absolute best quality phonics game I have come across for educational and fun value."
Marie Lewis, Rochdale
“My class have reaped loads of benefits from using the programme and the difference in some of their reading skills has been dramatic."
Maria Andrews, Foundation Phase Teacher
"This is a fabulous game. I'm not kidding when I say that my daughter essentially learned all her letter sounds using First steps, with relatively minimal input from me! Great for parents to practise their letter sounds too."
Teach Monster Games Ltd is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation, a registered charity in England and Wales, charity number 1121957.
PLAY THE NEW SPACE BLASTER MINIGAME!
• Play the brand new Space Blaster minigame, where you mine the asteroids for fuel to get home. Play in Practice mode and tell us what you think!
• We’ve also made some improvements including new launch and background screens, new VO, adding Lava minigame into the second game ‘Fun with words’ and permitting special characters and hyphens for player names.
We want to make this game as great as it can possibly be, so please leave a review, we read every one!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I’ve been using this app with my 3 year old, partly for his speech, but to also give him a head start on reading. He’s blasting his way through the app and loves showing everyone how far he’s got and inviting them to play with him. He’s able to recognise letters and match them with the sound and vice versa, and carries this through to every day life when he’s beginning to try to read words he sees.
One criticism is that it’s too easy to add additional players to the game, meaning that he has made the maximum amount of players, which leads to him playing the same sounds over and over instead of working consecutively through the game if i’m not guiding him to the main one that is the furthest on. Adding the need for an adult to oversee new players being added would cut down on this.
All in all, a brilliant app that has helped with speech difficulty, helped concentration and coordination and makes learning extremely fun for a bright 3 year old.
A good game but needs some tweaking
Firstly, can I say a big thank you for your dedication in helping children to read. It’s such an important skill for children and adults. I love that it’s a charity and not just a money making scheme and the thought you have put into this is amazing. I have some feedback which I hop you will take on board.
1. The duck pond game and the flower game are too difficult for little fingers to do easily and cause frustration. My daughter knows which pond the ducks need to go in and which path the flower tells her to go down but getting the ducks to got into the pond and the monster to take the right path causes a meltdown.
2. Can you put a limit on how many times you can dress your alien after each game is completed. My daughter can spend a good 10 minutes swapping and changing the clothes after each game that she gets more excited about doing that than doing the games to learn the words/letters. Maybe allow 1 dress change per after game and then automatically move them out of the closet?
3. I can’t access the Letter, certificate or book from the Alien. I log into the game from the website and it accepts the password but just gives me a completely black screen. I’ve sent a message on twitter but haven’t had a reply yet.
Everything else is superb!
Developer Response ,
Hi Dan, thanks for the review and we're pleased your child is enjoying teaching her monster to read. In reply to your questions:
1. Feedback taken on board! Some kids love these games because of their controls (especially the flower game) but we understand they're not for everyone - for this reason, we introduced a brand new first minigame which was well received by all the kids who playtested it. We'll be bringing in plenty more minigames as well as improving existing ones to make the more fun and educational at the same time.
2. Again, feedback taken on board. Thanks. We like to give kids some freedom over the world and feel we've got the blend just about right, but we appreciate this and will definitely bear it in mind.
3. Hmmm, ok. Are you trying to login on our website to see your kid's certificate, letter and ebook? First, are they logging in on the app, or just playing on a locally created player? If they're logging in using a player name and player password you created on our website, then you will receive emails when they have got a new certificate, letter or ebook to read. You can login on our site to get these, using your email address and password (not the player login details).
We advise logging in on a desktop PC or laptop for this.
Hope that helps and thanks again for the review.
This is a fantastic resource
.... and my daughter is really loving this now she is 5. I might be a bit of a wally but we actually both found the gameplay a bit frustrating when she was younger and didn’t look at it from age 3 to now. The platform game can be really tough to get the hang of, and also rounding up the animals can be a bit frustrating. I wonder if you could have some tips in the game if people are struggling, like “get behind the animals” or “tap where you want to jump to”. I’m still not sure we’ve got it right!
I also agree with the other user who said it would be great to have some sort of timed usage or stop point, it would really aid in managing use in a homeschool situation. Not sure how you do this without ripping kids out mid-game. I usually let her finish the “planet” she’s on at the moment...
Another small piece of feedback... when you get to the later games, it says (eg) “you already know “ch” looks like xxx, it also looks like xxxx” - it should say “sounds like” if it’s where a particular letter or set of letters can make more than one sound
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Teach Your Monster Ltd.
- 137.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Teach Your Monster
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.