The 66 Express Lanes (Inside the Beltway) mobile app helps find the estimated toll for a trip on the express lanes of Northern Virginia’s I-66 Inside the Beltway, between Interstate 495 and Route 29 in Rosslyn. Tolls on the Express Lanes are only in force for certain times of day, and in certain directions of travel.
Through a simple calculator-style interface, users must select their direction of travel, their entrance point onto the I-66 Express Lanes, date and time of entry, and their exit point off the I-66 Express Lanes. The app will display the estimated toll for the trip. The app provides historical toll prices, up to and including current toll estimates.
You don’t need to register to use the app. The 66 Express Lanes app operates anonymously. We don’t receive or record any identifying information about you or your phone.
• Please note that only valid dates/times when the tolling is active will be accepted into the calculator.
• Please also note that the figures provided by this toll calculator are for approximation purposes only, and may not match the exact prices seen on invoices from the roadway operator.
The app contains a link to the I-66 project website, so users can navigate to learn more about the implementation of the 66 Express Lanes, check out FAQs, and leave questions or comments for VDOT. There is also a link to Virginia 511, so that users can check on traffic conditions throughout the Commonwealth.
IMPORTANT – This application is intended to be launched while the user is not operating his or her motor vehicle. User agrees to use the Application responsibly and to avert any interaction with mobile devices while driving a motor vehicle.
- New average toll historical charts
- UI bug fixes
- Other minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
It displays the toll at the current time but is needlessly tap-happy. There are only 7 toll points so, if I launch the app at 7:30 AM, default to showing me a table of tolls for eastbound travel at the current time, with OPTIONS to change the time, on-and-off points, or direction. No taps necessary: just launch the app and see the tolls.
Good but will get better
This app will only get better once historical rates become available over a longer period of time along with more feedback from users. Wish there was a way to just directly enter times though - the spinning selection feels a bit cumbersome.
Good, not great
The app does what it says it does; it lets you know the current toll at a specific time and date as well as historical information. This could be a great app with the following improvements:
1. Saved trips
2. Notifications to tell you the toll at a certain user specified time or when the toll exceeds / drops below a certain cost
3. Integration with other travel apps
4. A "refresh" button after a toll is calculated so the user doesn't have to keep inputting the same trip information over and over
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.